The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Scouting

J.I.A.H.N

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would say 3 out of 5, there is no other team that has been picking in the bottom like we have for as long as we have, Boston has had high picks, Chicago has had higher picks than us, Pittsburgh just got a high pick, Detriot has been picking higher than us.

I would say we have done alright.

from Cody on we have done a great job in the 1st round, I think each year we have gotten the best player avaliable to us.

our 2nd round picks have been alright we haven't had all of them and have drawn some blanks when we did while other teams did great, so below average here.

Our later round picks have been pretty good IMO, Corrado, Connaution, Polasek, McNally, Cannata. I think we have done a good job.

Then free agent signings which also is apart of scouting we have done terrific.

After considering our draft positions and who was avaliable each year, If I had to put it into grades I would go like this:

1st Round: B+

2nd Round: C

Later Rounds: B

Free Agent Signings: A

---------------------------------------

Overall: B

1/5 Sure are 1st rounders are later picks than other teams.

But we are basically taking the best player still there.

Its the later rounds where the problem is.

Once the first 20 players overall are drafted, its a crapshoot beyond that.

The Canucks have done nothing for years after the first round.

Is Nuxfan09 correct? Our round 2 and higher picks over the last 5 drafts, have combined for 13 games, and a single point?

Sedins

Burrows

Kesler

Hansen

Edler

Bieksa

Tanev

Schneider

Pretty amazing core all drafted/developed by us.

Not to mention

Bourdon

Coho

Umberger

Grabner

Drafted by us- the key is to hold on to players you draft until you know their fulll value. By the age of 26- Bourdon would be a stud by now and our D core would be even stronger by now.

Bourdon's shot was harder than Salo and Edler's

Resign Edler- keep your firsts, seconds and thirds- thats the recipe

Sedins

Burrows

Kesler

Hansen

Edler

Bieksa

Tanev

Schneider

Pretty amazing core all drafted/developed by us.

Not to mention

Bourdon

Coho

Umberger

Grabner

Drafted by us- the key is to hold on to players you draft until you know their fulll value. By the age of 26- Bourdon would be a stud by now and our D core would be even stronger by now.

Bourdon's shot was harder than Salo and Edler's

Resign Edler- keep your firsts, seconds and thirds- thats the recipe

I really think if Gillis had found a way not to include Grabner in the Ballard deal and fans had more patience, Grabner would have grown into the pure sniper and the 2nd line RW to compliment Kesler that this team has been looking for.

Oh well, hopefully Jensen becomes that player. Looking forward to him trying out for the team next year!

I'd say San Jose and Philadelphia are good comparisons. San Jose is one of the very few teams who are probably WORSE off than the Canucks in terms of prospects at the moment but even they've had several players drafted in the 2nd round or later see NHL action since 2006. The Canucks' grand total of two (Sergei Shirokov and Yann Sauve) is absolutely alarming!

They did have a high pick in 07 and got Couture, other than that I agree, I think aside from him it would be pretty even, we also had Cody Hodgson play for us BTW.

Philly also got a high pick and got Couturier.

Maybe aside from those 2 we are similar, although I think we have been generally a deeper team than those two honestly. Ever since Gillis took over we have been a pretty deep team, our depth may not have been as highly skilled as it is now but we always have had a # of NHL calibre players ready to go on both forward and defense when needed.

If you want better draft picks then you need to lose more games. Since Hodgson, we have been in the lower end of each round. Our first pick is similar to Edmonton's 2nd and so on. It's too early to say whether our picks from the past 3 years will pan out.

They were all projected as 2nd line/3rd pairing or less. That's what you get when your top picks are #22, 26 and 29 overall. If they play to their potential, they were good picks. If they do better, then they are great picks.

Archived