• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Goalie Arrives in Vancouver but May Not Stay Long

By GERALD NARCISO

Published: January 11, 2013

http://www.nytimes.c...-stay-long.html

VANCOUVER, British Columbia — The resolution of the lockout might have wiped the slate clean for most N.H.L. players, but for Vancouver goaltender Roberto Luongo, the end of one wait was the beginning of a new one.

Once considered one of the league’s premier goalies and the cornerstone of theCanucks franchise, the 33-year-old Luongo, who has a .919 career save percentage, enters the lockout-shortened season facing an uncertain future.

The rise of his teammate Cory Schneider, who replaced Luongo as the team’s starting goalie during last season’s playoff series against the Los Angeles Kings, was the first indication that Luongo’s tenure with Vancouver was coming to an end. The club’s signing of Schneider, 26, to a three-year, $12 million deal over the summer was the second.

Because of some inconsistent play — most notably during the 2011 Stanley Cup finals, when the Canucks lost to the Boston Bruins — Luongo has also been harshly criticized. Local news media outlets, as well as the passionate fan base here, have long blamed Luongo for the team’s shortcomings in the postseason.

Arriving from Florida on Thursday afternoon with a single duffle bag, Luongo was barely out of the terminal before a group of reporters surrounded him. A two-time All-Star, Luongo shrugged when asked about the trade speculation that preceded his arrival.

Luongo said he would not take the trade rumors seriously until he heard something from Mike Gillis, the Canucks’ general manager. “You kind of let it go and take it for what it is,” Luongo said.

Still, his departure seems imminent. His destination is less clear.

The Toronto Maple Leafs and the Florida Panthers, for whom Luongo played five seasons (2000-6), are his preferred destinations. A Montreal native, Luongo spends his off-seasons in Coral Springs, Fla. The Edmonton Oilers and the Philadelphia Flyers are also said to have interest in him.

Luongo has 10 years left on a 12-year, $64 million deal. He is the Canucks’ highest-paid player this season at $6.7 million (prelockout salary), and his desire for a trade may match management’s. Although his contract has a no-trade clause, he has agreed to waive it if Gillis finds a suitor.

Vancouver faces a challenge in finding a team willing to take on Luongo’s long-term deal and also willing to offer quality talent in return. Gillis would prefer to resolve the situation quickly because a dragged-out process could distract a Canucks team that has the potential to challenge for the Stanley Cup. Vancouver won the Presidents’ Trophy last season for having the league’s best record but fell to the Kings, the eventual Stanley Cup champions, in the first round.

Luongo vowed to remain professional and support the team. “I always said I’d be ready to come back here if need be,” he said, “and I’m happy to be back here, and I’m excited to see the guys.”

On Thursday at the University of British Columbia, where Canucks players have congregated for voluntary skate sessions, several expressed their support for Luongo.

“Bobby has been a great teammate for me and everyone here,” forward Chris Higgins said.

Right wing Alex Burrows said: “You look at his work ethic every day, he works harder than anyone. You look at his numbers throughout the years, he’s been a top goalie and still is.”

Despite his competition with Schneider over the past few seasons, Luongo said they remained friends.
“I think we’ve actually spoke throughout the whole lockout process, last summer as well,” he said. “So we’re cool; we’re good to go.”

Higgins said he believed the perceived rivalry between the goaltenders was simply speculation fueled by the news media.

“The only thing that’s annoying about it is the questions,” Higgins said. “He has a great relationship with Cory. The only distraction is outside the room. It’s not an issue in the locker room.”

On Friday, Luongo skated with his teammates, looking comfortable and focused on the ice. Each spectacular save during a scrimmage prompted the traditional “Luuu” chant from onlookers in the stands.

“The first practice, he looked really good; he’s in great shape,” said Burrows, who added that keeping Luongo on the roster would help the team. “I’m not the one making the call, but I think one of the reasons we had so much success last year is because we had two great goalies.”

Edited by dudeone, 12 January 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#2 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Will the media please stop making these kind of story.......it getting very annoying. I guarantee that Luongo will win a cup as he deserve it and but not this canucks fan base, no way they deserve it after thr treatment of him and booing him........sad how this end up

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#3 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

Good to know
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#4 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,187 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

POPULAR

Will the media please stop making these kind of story.......it getting very annoying. I guarantee that Luongo will win a cup as he deserve it and but not this canucks fan base, no way they deserve it after thr treatment of him and booing him........sad how this end up

Last I checked the team was called the Vancouver Canucks not the Vancouver Luongos.
Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#5 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,485 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

POPULAR

Last I checked the team was called the Vancouver Canucks not the Vancouver Luongos.

Last I checked he carried the team for 6 years

Posted Image

Thank you Roberto =(

#6 sharnhayre

sharnhayre

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Cool story

#7 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,187 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Living in the past is fun!!!!
Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#8 Hamhuis Hipcheck

Hamhuis Hipcheck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Woooooo welcome Bozak, Kadri, and Mckinnon!!!

#9 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Woooooo welcome Bozak, Kadri, and Mckinnon!!!

Toronto ain't finishing last, they'll be closer to the playoffs than to a 1st round pick.

#10 Fateless

Fateless

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Last time I checked, we had Hart Trophy Winners... Art Ross Trophy Winners... yet... never a Vezina....

i1u6zif.gif

#11 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,164 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

Arriving with one duffel bag means Gillis has already told him.I expect the news at any moment now\.

#12 Mike27

Mike27

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

Last time I checked, we had Hart Trophy Winners... Art Ross Trophy Winners... yet... never a Vezina....

In all fairness, we did have a Jennings.........however, Luongo played well in his time here, but it would be a big stretch to say "he carried the team for six years".
Trade Bieksa? Not even if it was a one for one deal for a guy like Ovechkin. And I am being serious. Linden53

#13 Bigturk8

Bigturk8

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

POPULAR

You're condemning an entire fan base because some people booed Lu. I wish people would stop generalizing. Every team has fans that would do things like that and it in no way means that the whole fan base does not deserve a Stanley Cup. You're not the only Canucks fan that was disgusted by that. Do you think as a fan yourself that you deserve a Stanley Cup? If so, then you're contradicting yourself.

I was in the arena when Lu was pulled vs the Ducks right before last years playoffs. People were cheering, meanwhile I was telling them too shut up. All I could think was "is this the message we want to send to our starting goalie a week before the playoffs?" I happen to know many people who agreed with me. Point being, the bad fans tend to stick out because they are obnoxious. There are; However, many good fans that you don't notice because they they don't stand out amongst the obnoxious ignorance that are seeking validation.

Please choose your words more carefully.

Posted Image

#16 is skeptical about the validity of your post...

#14 miked1101

miked1101

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

They don't hand out The Cup to players or fan bases that "deserve it".
Posted Image

#15 Fateless

Fateless

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

In all fairness, we did have a Jennings.........however, Luongo played well in his time here, but it would be a big stretch to say "he carried the team for six years".

Sure, yet a Jennings Trophy just proves that Luongo did NOT carry us for 6 years. It was a team effort of which Schneider was obviously a part of.

i1u6zif.gif

#16 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,200 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

this guy's vying for my name...

#17 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Living in the past is fun!!!!

Is riding the wagon fun? Do you know?
Posted Image

#18 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Good to see you and the people 'liking' your post are trivializing the amazing contributions of the other members of the team and giving all the credit to 1 player.

#19 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,187 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

Is riding the wagon fun? Do you know?

lol ....sez the Galchenyuk fanboy
Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#20 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

Well yeah, were bound to have some away games so he's gonna leave Vancouver..

Didn't read the article, too redundant, too stupid.

Posted Image

#21 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#22 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

"The Toronto Maple Leafs and the Florida Panthers, for whom Luongo played five seasons (2000-6), are his preferred destinations."

Since when did Toronto become a preferred destination?

#23 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

Yeah no kidding right? This team sucks, it's not like we've been one of the highest scoring teams for the last 4 seasons or anything.....oh wait a minute. :shock:

#24 VancouverCanucksRock

VancouverCanucksRock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

Your English teacher doesn't deserve this
Posted Image WHen idiots think numbers are words, I do believe in 2012 for cleansing Earth of the idiots

#25 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

They don't hand out The Cup to players or fan bases that "deserve it".

Nope they hand it out to Garys buddys and teams that have no fan base
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#26 canucksrulee

canucksrulee

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

I like lu :) I will be really sad if he leaves

#27 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

lol ....sez the Galchenyuk fanboy

this coming from the Kassian fanboy
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#28 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

Sure, yet a Jennings Trophy just proves that Luongo did NOT carry us for 6 years. It was a team effort of which Schneider was obviously a part of.

I would agree that Jennings is a reflection of the team's commitment to defensive play, however if you recall, it was Luongo who graciously vacated the net for Schneider to give Schneider the requisite number of appearances to share the Jennings trophy. If that doesn't speak of class and selflessness, I don't know what does. If Luongo gets traded, that's what I'll remember him for. As well, I'll also remember him for how generous he was with his time and interest with my friend's seven year son at the Westin Bear Mountain when the Canucks held their camp in Victoria 5-6 years ago.

The time is now for Schneider, but that does should not diminish all the good things that Luongo has accomplished for the Canucks. Will Schneider have equal amounts of success as Luongo? Time will tell. Will the Canucks faithful be merciless in their criticism of Schneider at his first failings? Without doubt, yes...after all, Canuckland is where goalies come to get buried.

#29 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,865 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

with so many games in so many nights.. maybe it's good to keep lu for this season..

#30 freebuddy

freebuddy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

I think this is more of a rumour than anything. I think Lu might stick around for awhile in case Burke shows up and puts his mark on the team again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.