77 replies to this topic

#31 qwijibo

qwijibo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

I wish I was Gomez. Getting paid $8 million and not do any work. Its better than winning a lottery. He will probably take many vacations during his time off.

He'll actually make $5.5 million this year, but yeah, that makes for a nice vacation lol

#32 Dustin77

Dustin77

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

The Canucks should give him an offer. Pay him league min. to prove he is a good player. He will be a temporary replacement for Kesler and it would be a win/win situation for both parties.

The only way the Canucks can give him an offer is after he is bought out at the end of the season this year. He is still under contract this season. Canucks would either have to take him off waivers or trade for him and both moves would be horrible.
LORD STANLEYS MUG WANTS TO BE IN VANCOUVER BC 2012/13

#33 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

So when do we send Lou back to Florida...

#34 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

He's too wee for this team.
Kevin.jpg

#35 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,244 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

did anyone read the wiki page on himÉ lol

Look to the right to the list of teams he played for

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Scott_Gomez

BAD MOVE!!!

BAD FING MOVE

HAHAHA ANOTHER INJURED MORON ON OUR TEAM

HE WILL JOIN US IN 2019

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

#36 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

I'd love to be him. Getting paid for sitting on your ass.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#37 SOB for MVP

SOB for MVP

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

My question is if he counts on the 23 man roster or not?

Posted Image

sig by -VC-

#38 qwijibo

qwijibo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

No, he wiill be put on waivers and sent to Hamilton but won't report there. That way he doesn't take a nhl roster spot

#39 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,121 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Haha - that's the harshest outcome possible for him. Don't even waive him...man. (maybe they can't under new CBA?) but you'd think they'd at least bring him in for camp. Wow.

They can send him down on waivers, but they'd still get his cap hit (minus the first $900K) and then Gomez would have to physically report to the Bulldogs to complete the waivers. No one was going to pick him up off waivers.

It's likely just them showing consideration to Gomez to not make him do so and then tell him he's not playing there either.

Arpon Basu@ArponBasu
#Habs say Gomez will be put on waivers, and once he clears he will not take a roster spot

If so, then that would change the explanation above.

The Canucks should give him an offer. Pay him league min. to prove he is a good player. He will be a temporary replacement for Kesler and it would be a win/win situation for both parties.

I'm not sure you understand how this works. He's still under contract this year and next, and Montreal can't buy him out of his last year until the end of July. That means we could only sign him as a free agent in the summer, when we wouldn't need a replacement for Kesler anymore.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#40 canucks_qc

canucks_qc

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

No, he wiill be put on waivers and sent to Hamilton but won't report there. That way he doesn't take a nhl roster spot

He does count on the 23 man roster, the Habs can't waive him he have a clause in his contract. Even if they could send him to the Bulldogs and nobody claim him through the waiver, he would go to Hamilton, if a player don't report to his team the team can suspend the player without paying him. Do you know anyone who would say "No I'm not going to Hamilton I don't want my 3m$ for the end of the season."

Redden and Avery did played in the AHL when nobody wanted them anymore to get their money, why Gomez would be different?

Stay home do not receive your money, go to Hamilton for about 3 month get paid 3m$, what would you do?

We have more than we think in common with ''Le Canadien de Montréal''

Both have logo shapped in ''C''

Canadien and Canucks mean the samething

We both hate the Boston Bruins now

Alain Vigneault coached both teams

Rogers Arena, Centre Bell, it's phones company

We are blue white and green they are blue white and red

Our #1 goalie is from Qc, their #1 goalie is from BC

But we have one important thing different and I hope it will change after the next season, we don't have Stanley Cup banner

#41 Zach Parise

Zach Parise

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,390 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

LOL at what Gainey said about Gomez, when he acquired him :lol:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283329

Edited by Zach Parise, 13 January 2013 - 07:22 PM.

#42 vv2

vv2

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

ouchh
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#43 Watsuko

Watsuko

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

Last two seasons were dump and chase hockey in mtl. They are too small , Gomez was a victim of the system in combination of decline in skill.

Edited by Watsuko, 13 January 2013 - 09:18 PM.

#44 ī мцšт вяздк чфµ

ī мцšт вяздк чфµ

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

SCOTT GOMEZ' TO DO LIST THIS YEAR:

-GET MASTER PRESTIGE IN BLACK OPS 2.

-GET A GOAL IN NHL13 BE A PRO.

-UPDATE FACEBOOK STATUS TO "BORED BUT I'M RICH BIAAATCH!"

Edited by ī мцšт вяздк чфµ, 14 January 2013 - 12:07 AM.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#45 Industrious1

Industrious1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

It seems unfathomable that someone with the pedigree of Gomez could have this happen to them....maybe his shortcomings were hidden on that very deep Devils team of yore.

#46 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

This is so stupid. I understand why Montreal is doing it but you would think they could have made the rule so that you had from now untill the end of summer to do the buy outs. This is one thing the PA should have fought harder for, now one union brother doesn't even get a shot at making his team.

#47 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,121 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

He does count on the 23 man roster, the Habs can't waive him he have a clause in his contract. Even if they could send him to the Bulldogs and nobody claim him through the waiver, he would go to Hamilton, if a player don't report to his team the team can suspend the player without paying him. Do you know anyone who would say "No I'm not going to Hamilton I don't want my 3m$ for the end of the season."

Redden and Avery did played in the AHL when nobody wanted them anymore to get their money, why Gomez would be different?

Stay home do not receive your money, go to Hamilton for about 3 month get paid 3m$, what would you do?

The difference here is they won't be playing him in Hamilton either. Redden could end up in the same boat, but they don't want them to get injured in any hockey activity affiliated with the team that would prevent them from buying him out.

#48 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing him play for the Canucks as a 2nd line replacement. Play making skills are still there.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#49 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,186 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

Ferraro said his career is done. That would be up to Scott Gomez. With this kind of rest he could come back and play 1-2 more decent seasons. Maybe. But he's not Teemu Selanne.
Posted Image

#50 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,904 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

It seems unfathomable that someone with the pedigree of Gomez could have this happen to them....maybe his shortcomings were hidden on that very deep Devils team of yore.

He was a solid player for the Rangers too, only incredibly overpaid. If his contract was in the 4-million range, he may never have been traded. Even when he first started with the Habs, he wasn't that bad.

I think it's a case of a player with a huge contract resting on his laurels. Every year of not training/trying as hard as everyone else, he gets a bit worse. After a number of years, the cumulative effect makes him practically useless.

Gomez isn't that old though. Won't be surprised if he uses this as motivation to train like a beast for 8 months, and come back strong. Could be a solid moneyball signing to whoever gives him a shot.
Posted Image

#51 aliboy

aliboy

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

I'd love it if we could sign him cheap, say 2.5M? This assumes a buyout.

Edited by aliboy, 14 January 2013 - 12:31 PM.

#52 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

He wasn't worth the 7.5M. He's worth more to the Canadiens to sit at home than he is to play. What a plug.
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#53 Industrious1

Industrious1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

He was a solid player for the Rangers too, only incredibly overpaid. If his contract was in the 4-million range, he may never have been traded. Even when he first started with the Habs, he wasn't that bad.

I think it's a case of a player with a huge contract resting on his laurels. Every year of not training/trying as hard as everyone else, he gets a bit worse. After a number of years, the cumulative effect makes him practically useless.

Gomez isn't that old though. Won't be surprised if he uses this as motivation to train like a beast for 8 months, and come back strong. Could be a solid moneyball signing to whoever gives him a shot.

Good Point.

I always forget about his stint with the rangers in light of his epic fall from grace in Montreal. And yeah his whole contract explosion had trouble written all over it...who thought it would be a good idea to sign Gomez to a 7.5 million dollar contract...another Sather debaucle?

#54 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

Just wow at anyone wanting him here.

Not.what.we.need.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#55 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

The problem with Gomez is that when he started to struggle offensively, he never tried to reinvent his game into a decent 2-way player (on an inflated contract). Now he isn't good enough offensively to play in the top 6 and not reliable or gritty enough for the bottom 6.

#56 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,121 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

Interesting proposal to change the CBA slightly after NYR, NHL and NHLPA discussing Redden's situation, they may allow a buyout to be used early rather than sit a player. The cap hit they would have occurred (either in the NHL or AHL/Europe) until the summer buyout period will still apply.

Larry Brooks @NYP_Brooksie
NYR, NHL, NHLPA believed discussing scenario under which NYR could exercise compliant buyout on Redden now while retaining AHL cap hit.
NYR would retain cap hit of 5.6m even if Redden signs with NHL team. It's a possibility.
Appears as if agreement reached as suggested here earlier.Compliance buyout can be used now on Redden with NYR taking 5.6M cap hit (1/2)...
2/2..NYR would take cap hit even if Redden signs with another team as UFA. This option will be available to all clubs (Mont/Gomez).

This would obviously update Gomez' status, where he could be bought out ahead of time and allowed to sign elsewhere. Remains to be seen if the already agreed upon amnesty buyout periods for this summer and next stay or if they've moved to just now and this summer. I'd expect the former.

Edited by elvis15, 15 January 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#57 BabychStache

BabychStache

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Ha, Gomez will be getting 2 pay cheques now. Some team will offer him a 1M+ deal
Posted Image
Credit to Goaltenderinterference for the awesome Sig!

#58 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,121 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

TSNBobMcKenzie
Each team is still permitted only 2 compliance buyouts, either before Saturday or in summers of 2013 or 2014.
So ultimately, there's no actual benefit to team to do "accelerated compliance buyout" other than as favor to the player to seek work now.

#59 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

Just heard Gomez to Canucks for league min. to resurrect career.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#60 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,121 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Just heard you have no source. He'll get more than that from someone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.