The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New buyout rules for this season implemented

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

So, as others reported, Gomez and Redden and any player for that matter can get an "accelerated compliance buyout" before Saturday's opener

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

Teams such as NYR and MTL would take full cap hit on those players this season. But no cap hit next season.

Nick Kypreos@RealKyper

With new agreement, 1st buyout window will start prior 2 season opener. 2nd one remains in summer. Cap hit stays 4 rest of this season only

Larry Brooks @NYP_Brooksie

Appears as if agreement reached as suggested here earlier.Compliance buyout can be used now on Redden with NYR taking 5.6M cap hit (1/2)...

2/2..NYR would take cap hit even if Redden signs with another team as UFA. This option will be available to all clubs (Mont/Gomez).

NYR must still waive Redden before compliance buyout. The $5.6M cap hit is same as would have been before agreement. Cap hit this yr only.

Just posted in the agreement and Gomez threads:

Interesting proposal to change the CBA slightly after NYR, NHL and NHLPA discussing Redden's situation, they may allow a buyout to be used early rather than sit a player. The cap hit they would have occurred (either in the NHL or AHL/Europe) until the summer buyout period will still apply.

NYR, NHL, NHLPA believed discussing scenario under which NYR could exercise compliant buyout on Redden now while retaining AHL cap hit.

NYR would retain cap hit of 5.6m even if Redden signs with NHL team. It's a possibility.

Appears as if agreement reached as suggested here earlier.Compliance buyout can be used now on Redden with NYR taking 5.6M cap hit (1/2)...

2/2..NYR would take cap hit even if Redden signs with another team as UFA. This option will be available to all clubs (Mont/Gomez).

I don't think so myself. I think they'd have to look at his improved play at the end of last year and consider he could raise his value to get some kind of return in a trade if he continues that. Even if it's a low pick, I think there'd be interest.

I could just see Burke fuming at this news if he were still the Leaf's GM...

Connolly and Lombardi are both pending UFAs.

Komisarek only a year left...

The Leafs potential benefit is negligible... on the other hand... the possibilities surrounding other team's veteran goaltenders open up even more...

MG should put in calls to both Gomez and Redden. I think he will.

Sign them for under $1 million each. They would both be inclined to come to team like Canucks because they would have a chance at success and to put some numbers on the board. This will give them opportunity to sign better deal next summer, ala Rafi Torres.

Archived