The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Christian law school in BC?

AK_19

Thou shall not kill - similar to our murder laws...

Though I don't agree with TWU stance, I don't think they are "promoting" it as you say - they just have it - which, as others have said, is a violation of human rights...

So yes, I agree, it is an issue...

You missed the point.

Secular laws of general application apply across the board to society - religious laws do not. A law malum in se (such as murder, rape, and theft) is accepted as wrong in itself and just because there may be an overlap from your book of stories is not the issue. These crimes developed in the English common law setting and became common law crimes.

Our Criminal Code put such crimes into statutory form and also included any number of offences described as malum prohibitum i.e. conduct that constitutes an unlawful act only by virtue of a statute. The 1953 consolidation of criminal law abolished all common law offences, except Contempt of Court under our Criminal Code.

Others say it is a violation??? It IS a violation but in a private setting religious freedom may prevail. However as we saw it does not prevail in a public setting and TWU is proposing to teach a law school curriculum on secular law that violates the Charter.

Thou shalt not kill? Given all the killing in the name of Christianity throughout the centuries that seems a little ironical, eh?

The point of secular laws is that society by way of the Crown prosecutes violations and imposes sanctions including penal sanctions. It is a public matter binding upon all persons within the relevant jurisdiction.

Religious laws are quite different.

True...but there are many countries in the world and not all secular laws are the same...but the laws in the Bible are the same no matter where you are.

Also...as far as secular law goes - all that matters is what can be "proven" - not what may have really happened.

As far as consequences, it's not really cut and dry is it as far as secular law. I mean, if you kill someone, it's not 25 years, it's a negotiation...based on circumstances and other things...maybe you get 10 years with parole in 5...maybe you get death row (again, depends on what country you live in)...maybe they say you were "insane" at the time so you get off Scot free. Maybe there was a mistake done by the police and the crown can't convict you at all.

Edit: Though the laws in the Bible are also open to interpretation - just like the punishment is for secular .

The bottom line here is that some of TWU's policies go against the curriculum that they'd have to teach, notably the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. They'd be reading - and, presumably, following - cases in which discriminatory practices like theirs have been struck down as unconstitutional.

The bottom line here is that some of TWU's policies go against the curriculum that they'd have to teach, notably the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. They'd be reading - and, presumably, following - cases in which discriminatory practices like theirs have been struck down as unconstitutional.

Archived