Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

If Schroeder doesn't play a game this season, Will he request to be traded?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Jordan Schroeder

Jordan Schroeder

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Could the organization be treading on thin water regarding another 1st round prospect wanting out? He's probably paid his dues in the minors to atleast have played some games at the NHL level but keeps getting snubbed by he organization. You can only be so loyal without getting frustrated when you seem to have played well enough to earn a roster spot on the team. Then all these underserved players get spots over you must be frustrating. Ie. Barker, Ebett, Vandameer, Volpatti.

On top of that he probably views this a an opportunity to prove himself when there are so many injuries in the top 6. (Kesler and Booth) Yet the organization still doesn't give him a shot when there is a valid reason to atleast try.

He's probably thinking he has a limited amount of time left to prove that he can make the NHL and that he's earned a spot based on his play in camp.

In terms of his attitude and patience he's been really good about it but who knows how long that will last.

He's never complained, always worked hard and has tried to improve his 2 way game.

I fear he might start talking things over with his agent about the future he has with the Canucks and if better options lie ahead.

Thoughts?

Sig By VC (thx )

#2 Nail

Nail

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,462 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Schroeder won't, his dad will.

sg25j6.jpg

Credit to khalifawiz501 for the beautiful sig!

#3 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

Shouldn't you know??

Posted Image

#4 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,407 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

I would give it till next year, the lockout shortened season makes it tricky. If he doesn't make the team next season, then dude should be pissed and ask to be dealt. Eventually you gotta play.

#5 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,872 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

Why would he? This organization has the best idea of his skills. The only reason to leave here is to get more ice time on a bottom feeder, and I doubt he would want to do that after devoting 4 years to get NHL-ready.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 Jordan Schroeder

Jordan Schroeder

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

Why would he? This organization has the best idea of his skills. The only reason to leave here is to get more ice time on a bottom feeder, and I doubt he would want to do that after devoting 4 years to get NHL-ready.

Because he's seen a bunch of young players in this organization not get the opporunity and then get traded to better ones. Hodgson is now potentially the #1 C for Buffalo and we all know how much more Grabner flourished in NYI while getting a massive pay day. Might have the mindset of wanting to escape a team where youngsters aren't given real shots at making the roster.

All the more reason to giving him a shot. 4 years is a long time and you want to develop a player just for him to leave because you never gave him an opporunity?
He might feel like it's now or never to make the NHL and establish himself and get his career going.

Fair or not fair he's probably getting impatient and that not going to be good thing if he truly feels like he deserves a shot.

Ie. Grabner and Hodsgson.

Edited by Jordan Schroeder, 19 January 2013 - 12:44 PM.

Sig By VC (thx )

#7 Bieksasangryface

Bieksasangryface

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

He is weak even in the AHL. Grabner was waived after we traded him. Buffalo drafted centers to replace cody. Quit whining.

#8 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

Quite simply, Schroeder isn't good enough to play on the Canucks right now. I wanted to see him given the opportunity to fill in for Kes, but, obviously there are better, more experienced players to do the job. In a short season, you go with who's going to get the job done for you now. Schroeder isn't one of those guys, in management's eyes.

Unless he is traded to a weaker organization, I'm afraid you are looking at a career minor leaguer. He's just too small and not skilled enough to even control a game in the AHL.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#9 personaltrainer604

personaltrainer604

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

To be honest, I would love to see more prospects getting more of a chance...but with this organization its rare to happen. If I was a prospect, I wouldn't resign and would want out...Its not a prospect friendly place in terms of advancement.

My two cents...

And yes, they should have played a healthy CoHo who was doing well instead of a 65% Kesler.

#10 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

He is weak even in the AHL. Grabner was waived after we traded him. Buffalo drafted centers to replace cody. Quit whining.

To replace??!?

They drafted Grigorenko and Girgensons to be 1-2-3 with Hodgson
Posted Image

#11 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,451 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

POPULAR

Could the organization be treading on thin water regarding another 1st round prospect wanting out? He's probably paid his dues in the minors to atleast have played some games at the NHL level but keeps getting snubbed by he organization. You can only be so loyal without getting frustrated when you seem to have played well enough to earn a roster spot on the team. Then all these underserved players get spots over you must be frustrating. Ie. Barker, Ebett, Vandameer, Volpatti.

On top of that he probably views this a an opportunity to prove himself when there are so many injuries in the top 6. (Kesler and Booth) Yet the organization still doesn't give him a shot when there is a valid reason to atleast try.

He's probably thinking he has a limited amount of time left to prove that he can make the NHL and that he's earned a spot based on his play in camp.

In terms of his attitude and patience he's been really good about it but who knows how long that will last.

He's never complained, always worked hard and has tried to improve his 2 way game.

I fear he might start talking things over with his agent about the future he has with the Canucks and if better options lie ahead.

Thoughts?

It's really tough being a contender isn't it?

When this team sucked and prospects had any easy time making the team it was, "We need to sign some quality UFA's" or "we need trade prospect/picks for guys that can actually help now". Now that we're a contender and it's, "They're not being fair to our prospects".

Canucks fans....never happy.

As a contender prospects are most valuable as depth players. To make a contender they need to play head and shoulders above guys who are waiver eligible. Otherwise you unnecessarily risk losing your waiver eligible players and hurting your depth in thge process.

Schroeder has to sieze his opportunities whether in camp or as a call-up. No prospect will be handed a spot on a contender.

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#12 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 11,162 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

Because he's seen a bunch of young players in this organization not get the opporunity and then get traded to better ones. Hodgson is now potentially the #1 C for Buffalo and we all know how much more Grabner flourished in NYI while getting a massive pay day. Might have the mindset of wanting to escape a team where youngsters aren't given real shots at making the roster.

All the more reason to giving him a shot. 4 years is a long time and you want to develop a player just for him to leave because you never gave him an opporunity?
He might feel like it's now or never to make the NHL and establish himself and get his career going.

Fair or not fair he's probably getting impatient and that not going to be good thing if he truly feels like he deserves a shot.

Grabner had 1 good year in NY, last year his production dropped by 20 points and his +/-/ went from +13 to a dismal -18. The verdict is still out on Hodgson, but he hasn't proved anything yet. As for Schroeder he hasn't earned a spot with the Canucks.

He isn't good enough to crack the line up at this time. Why is that so hard for some people to accept.

#13 Jordan Schroeder

Jordan Schroeder

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

When this team sucked and prospects had any easy time making the team it was, "We need to sign some quality UFA's" or "we need trade prospect/picks for guys that can actually help now". Now that we're a contender and it's, "They're not being fair to our prospects".

As a contender prospects are most valuable as depth players. To make a contender they need to play head and shoulders above guys who are waiver eligible. Otherwise you unnecessarily risk losing your waiver eligible players and hurting your depth in thge process.

Schroeder has to sieze his opportunities whether in camp or as a call-up. No prospect will be handed a spot on a contender.

I agree to an extent but what happens when there are injuries and he still doesn't get a shot?

He did seize his opportunity by outplaying Ebett in Camp, what else can he do? If he can't make the team now when there are injuries when well he ever? Might aswell request a trade if he sees no future here.

Teams that want to stay contenders need their prospects to play on the roster with ELC. This will be even more so when the cap goes down over the next CBA. I guess it will be a moot point with Schroeder though cause he already on the last year of his.

Sig By VC (thx )

#14 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,209 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

I don't know, will you?

Jagermeister.jpg

#15 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

JS will play plenty of games this year. MG said a couple of days ago that JS would get games soon.

Schroeder getting sent down has more to do with protecting veteran players from being lost on waivers than anything else. JS will be called up in a week or two.

#16 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,451 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

To be honest, I would love to see more prospects getting more of a chance...but with this organization its rare to happen. If I was a prospect, I wouldn't resign and would want out...Its not a prospect friendly place in terms of advancement.

My two cents...

And yes, they should have played a healthy CoHo who was doing well instead of a 65% Kesler.

Is it about winning or what you'd like to see? Burrows, Kesler, Raymond, Hansen, Bieksa, Edler, and Tanev. Any of these guys ring a bell? Prospects have to seize their opportunities when presented and earn their spot on a contender. Contenders develop their picks in the minors and when the time comes, if there isn't a spot for them, they get moved.

Note: I left the Sedins off that list because when they arrived we were a weak team desperate for forwards. They were guaranteed a roster spot. Although they still earned their right to keep those spots.

My 2 cents...

And yet that 65% Kesler still outproduced that 100% Hodgson.

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#17 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

Jordan Schroeder is that you?

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#18 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

If he doesn't play a game this season then he should be traded. He's ready and if he's not the right fit move him.

#19 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,819 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

Alain Vigneault says Canucks won’t be going with 12 forwards, nine defenceman for very long

Don’t get too accustomed to the roster the Vancouver Canucks introduce Saturday night for their season opener Anaheim Ducks.

Coach Alain Vigneault said that he can’t see the Canucks running with the 12-forward, nine-defenceman format for an extended period.

Rearguard Cam Barker, Andrew Alberts and Jim Vandermeer are the scratches against the Ducks, while Andrew Ebbett has the second-line centre gig, winning the spot from Jordan Schroeder in training camp.

He’s between Mason Raymond and Zack Kassian to start against the Ducks. Henrik and Daniel Sedin are with Alex Burrows on the first line, while Max Lapierre is between Chris Higgins and Jannik Hansen on the third line and the fourth features Dale Wiese and Aaron Volpatti flanking Manny Malhotra.

Defence pairings see Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis together, while new contract man Alex Edler is with Jason Garrison and Chris Tanev teams with Keith Ballard.

“For the time being, this is how we’re going to start, but I would not predict us keeping nine defencemen very, very long, if I was in the prediction business,” he said.

Vigneault said the fact that Schroeder could be set down without needing waivers played into the Canuck decision.

“It was part of the early decision that we had to make,” Vigneault said. “I thought Schroeds played really well, especially that last game. That being said, Andrew had a real strong camp also. He has more experience and in Chicago he had been their most consistent forward.”

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#20 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

I guess we better get him some ice time with the big club so he doesn't ask for a trade.

seems like a fad right now.

Asking for trades that is.

Edited by Noheart, 19 January 2013 - 01:52 PM.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#21 canidiot

canidiot

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

when the nucks talk about following the redwings model, this is what they are talking about. develop young players properly,form a team with front end strength and ballance, have nhl ready players waiting in the wings. this is a club young players can be proud of. even if they dont get a starting roll.

i hope this thread was not started by an agent, father, freind or player. that would show, much like other players we know, they are not part of the team.

Edited by canidiot, 19 January 2013 - 02:22 PM.

#22 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,451 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

Hodgson couldn't even hold onto the 2nd line spot last year on a team desperate at center.

Grabner only siezed the opportunity when it was gifted to him by a bottom feeder. He couldn't even "earn" a spot with Florida who was desperate for offense.

Prospects need to sieze their opportunities. Particularly on a contender where those opportunities are often few and far between.

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#23 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,451 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

If he doesn't play a game this season then he should be traded. He's ready and if he's not the right fit move him.

How can you say "he's ready" before he's even played an NHL game. Perhaps that should actually happen before declaring him ready.

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#24 goblix

goblix

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

I thought he played head and shoulders over Ebbet, either way I would probably send Alberts out of town and keep Shroeder / Ebbet on the team, you can try Schroeder out for 3 games see where he's at and send him down if needed.

I'll be interested to see how Jensen does in camp next year, probably won't make the team but hopefully he raises a lot of eyebrows

#25 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,734 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

If the third line spot between Higgins and Hansen isn't good enough for him, he's welcome to take his wares elsewheres.

My guess would be that he's not under the impression that he's too good for that - but who knows - you're essentially asking us what Schroeder would want. Only he could answer that.

If he did want a trade, it's probably best to convert him into a different prospect.

As it stands however, the Canucks run a meritocracy, and he still needs to earn a position. He hasn't proven that he's clearly a better option than Ebbett at this point, and the current context is not ideal to drop Schroeder into. If Kesler were healthy, I think a shot on the 3rd line would be a better possibility, but from AHL to 2nd line center? I trust AV's judgement - and I think he'll be back on the roster very quickly in any event. It's not as simple as "AV won't give the rookie a chance."
Btw, Hodgson got an excellent opportunity in Vancouver - and he's not ready to be a top line C in the NHL - that's way over his head - hello matchup nightmares for the young center.

#26 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,981 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

He'll barely be 23 by the time the next season starts up. He's plenty young. Of course if he has a solid season or better down on the farm and the staff still decides to send him back then you must question what the hell they're doing.
Posted Image

#27 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,864 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

If he does, then fine. We don't need a player like that. You have to pay your dues, sure he has been in the minors for a few years now but if you are not good enough to play for the team you don't ask for a trade. You work harder and 'force' yourself into the NHL.

Anyways, he shouldn't be too annoyed/frustrated - he is bond to get more ice time in the minors then the in the NHL. We should develop our prospects instead of rushing them. If Schroeder was ready for the NHL, he would be playing. Obviously the management thinks he needs more time to develop.

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#28 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,451 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

I thought he played head and shoulders over Ebbet, either way I would probably send Alberts out of town and keep Shroeder / Ebbet on the team, you can try Schroeder out for 3 games see where he's at and send him down if needed.

I'll be interested to see how Jensen does in camp next year, probably won't make the team but hopefully he raises a lot of eyebrows

I can't say one way or the other as I didn't see either of the scrimmage games. But according to AV they both played well. It's still comes down to retaining depth. You lose Ebbett to waivers and then Schroeder gets injured what then?

You'd lose a depth d-man just to give a prospect a three game tryout? I'd hang on to my depth as long as I could. One will have to go, but with camp being so short I'd want to see as much of those three d-men before making the choice. Schroeder can wait until that choice is made.

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#29 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

If he does, then fine. We don't need a player like that. You have to pay your dues, sure he has been in the minors for a few years now but if you are not good enough to play for the team you don't ask for a trade. You work harder and 'force' yourself into the NHL.

Anyways, he shouldn't be too annoyed/frustrated - he is bond to get more ice time in the minors then the in the NHL. We should develop our prospects instead of rushing them. If Schroeder was ready for the NHL, he would be playing. Obviously the management thinks he needs more time to develop.

It's easy for you to say that when your career isn't on the line. If you are given a chance to get a raise at your job by another company, would you still rather stay in your old company and "force" yourself to get a raise a couple years later?

The fact is Schroeder isn't some unwanted prospect. He has a good camp and there are teams out there who would give him a spot. Why would be held back for a couple more season? This will be the prime time for Jordan to start his NHL career, and if its not with the canucks soon, it will be with other team. It has nothing to do with loyalty. It is about what's best with your career.

Also, don't talk like he's not good enough to make the team. The reason he got sent down was because of the waiver issue. Expect to see him in the roster 5-10 games later

Edited by Piggy1983, 19 January 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#30 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Hodgson couldn't even hold onto the 2nd line spot last year on a team desperate at center.

Grabner only siezed the opportunity when it was gifted to him by a bottom feeder. He couldn't even "earn" a spot with Florida who was desperate for offense.

Prospects need to sieze their opportunities. Particularly on a contender where those opportunities are often few and far between.

Actually...

1. Hodgson pretty much did seize his chance to stay with the team last year as a second line centre. His trade had more to do with his relationship with the team than his ability on ice.

2. Grabber still scored 30+ goals that year on NYi didn't he? O don't use the bottom feeder as an excuse. He was the top 3 +/- on NYi for two straight year. The important thing is that he did perform when given the chance.

Some players will only perform and develop in a real gaming environment. Burying prospects in minor for years is NOT an ideal practice for EVERY players. Some of them would need to given a chance in order to succeed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.