173 replies to this topic

#61 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,357 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

What's the new rule on re-entry waivers? Is there still such a thing? Or are teams off the hook for paying half a claimed player's salary?

There are no re-entry waivers anymore. So when we need him again he can simply be called up.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#62 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Basically cos kassian beat the crap out of one of the Canucks top public enemies
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#63 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,477 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

I think a key part to this is - If they waived Alberts and assigned to the AHL, he would've still counted against the cap, while Vandemeer can be assigned to the AHL and not count against the cap.

Edited by Squeak, 21 January 2013 - 03:03 PM.

Posted Image

#64 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

Usually I agree with you but not on this Smass. Kassian did get a couple of shots in before being spun around and thrown to the ice by Eager. He did draw blood but the fight was a tie.

After seeing Kassian's play last night I'd rather him be on the ice than sitting in the penalty box for 5 min fighting and 2 min for instigating.

Especially right now when we are missing 2 key forwards. I'd rather have Vandy as 7th D, agitate a couple of opposing stars and get into a scrap and lay the law down. Hopefully he could get one of the opposing team's better players to drop the gloves ie: Lucic and take him out of the game for 5 mins.

Wrong:

Eager not at practice today.

Win Kass.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#65 Mike Vanderhoek

Mike Vanderhoek

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

Yeah, the same Lucic who single handedly destroyed Buffalo's season and bullied the whole team into submission. This guy laughs while fighting him and Canucks of all teams in the league don't need him. lmao

Vandermeer is the kind of player you maybe add at the trade deadline if your looking to add beef to the lineup for the odd game to set the tone etc. Vandermeer is not the player that will make or break the Canucks and I can appreciate his toughness.
Posted Image

#66 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

There are no re-entry waivers anymore. So when we need him again he can simply be called up.

First I have learned of this. That's awesome.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#67 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,357 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

I think a key part to this is - If they waived Alberts and assigned to the AHL, he would've still counted against the cap, while Vandemeer can be assigned to the AHL and not count against the cap.

Exactly. Vandermeer is on a two-way contract that pays him something like 275k in the AHL, which won't count against the cap.

The CBA makes it so you can't bury players with one-way contracts in the minors. Therefore Alberts cap hit would count, as would Barkers.

This has always been the plan I'm thinking.

Edited by DeNiro, 21 January 2013 - 03:13 PM.

Posted Image

#68 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

Vandermeer is the kind of player you maybe add at the trade deadline if your looking to add beef to the lineup for the odd game to set the tone etc. Vandermeer is not the player that will make or break the Canucks and I can appreciate his toughness.

So the games between now and trade deadline don't count? Team doesn't need toughness between now and then?? Was it post trade dead line when Lucic ran Miller and single handedly ended Sabre's season and playoff hopes?

Edited by WHL rocks, 21 January 2013 - 04:10 PM.

#69 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

Wrong:

Win Kass.

My post subject wasn't strictly about who won the fight, but are you a UFC fan? When UFC first came out I think it was UFC 3 or 4 Joyce Grace beat his opponent by submission but was unable to continue to next fight. This was the first UFC Grace didn't win.

Just because you can't practice the next day doesn't mean you lost the fight.

Eager vs Kass fight was a draw.

Edited by WHL rocks, 21 January 2013 - 04:08 PM.

#70 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Edited by WHL rocks, 21 January 2013 - 04:10 PM.

#71 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Eager didn't really get any good shots in on Kassian, all he did was wrestle him to the ground.

#72 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

only a homer would say Kassian beat up Eager. Kassian landed 1 shot above the eye resulting in a cut. Eager landed 2 shots to the back of Kassian's head and took him down. It was a draw.

Edit: In a fight it's not how you start, it's how you finish. While Kass started strong with a punch he ended taking 2 shots to the head and going down.

Edited by WHL rocks, 21 January 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#73 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,357 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

only a homer would say Kassian beat up Eager. Kassian landed 1 shot above the eye resulting in a cut. Eager landed 2 shots to the back of Kassian's head and took him down. It was a draw.

Punches to the back of the head barely do any damage. He landed a couple, but nothing huge.

And typically in a takedown you wanna be on top of the guy, not have the guy fall backwards on top of you. If it was a clean takedown I would say it was a draw. But the fact that it was such an awkward takedown, and Kassian landed the biggest shot and did the most damage, means Kassian won

Not by a huge margin, but he won.

Edited by DeNiro, 21 January 2013 - 04:27 PM.

Posted Image

#74 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

Edit: In a fight it's not how you start, it's how you finish. While Kass started strong with a punch he ended taking 2 shots to the head and going down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUXekjZLXB0

60% say it was a win for Kassian:

http://www.hockeyfig...ghtcard/reg2013

Edited by Millerdraft, 21 January 2013 - 04:28 PM.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#75 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,048 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

So the games between now and trade deadline don't count? Team doesn't need toughness between now and then?? Was it post trade dead line when Lucic ran Miller and single handedly ended Sabre's season and playoff hopes?

*Less likely to be needed

You look at the Canucks and they won the Presidents trophy the last couple years just fine while being "pushovers" in the regular season and then ran in to issues in the playoffs.

The league seems to like to change how the rules are called around the deadline...seems like a good time to bring back a guy that could help the team with those adjusted rules leading in to and during the playoffs.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#76 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

His Lack of Sterling play has prevented him from Joslin for a position on the Canucks. He should be Mullen his play over the next few weeks or else he and the horse he Rodin on will be Friesen for the rest of the season in Chicago instead of in the Hunt for the Stanley Cup in Cannata.

Posted Image

/=S=/

#77 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Punches to the back of the head barely do any damage. He landed a couple, but nothing huge.

And typically in a takedown you wanna be on top of the guy, not have the guy fall backwards on top of you. If it was a clean takedown I would say it was a draw. But the fact that it was such an awkward takedown, and Kassian landed the biggest shot and did the most damage, means Kassian won

Not by a huge margin, but he won.

Here is someone who has no idea what they are talking about claiming to be expert on the subject.

A punch to the back of head is way more dangerous and damaging then a punch to the face.

A punch to the back of head is banned in fighting sports because it can cause severe damage. The back of the head is the most fragile part of the head.

#78 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

60% say it was a win for Kassian:

http://www.hockeyfig...ghtcard/reg2013

As someone who has trained all my life including in mma and been in plenty of scraps I go with my judgement over an un regulated and non scientific internet poll voted on mostly by fans of 2 respective teams.

#79 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,357 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

Here is someone who has no idea what they are talking about claiming to be expert on the subject.

A punch to the back of head is way more dangerous and damaging then a punch to the face.

A punch to the back of head is banned in fighting sports because it can cause severe damage. The back of the head is the most fragile part of the head.

Hockey fights are not MMA fights. ;)

You're not gonna land a shot to the back of the head in a hockey fight like you can in MMA where you have the guy pinned on the ground.

And if a punch to the back of the head is more damaging, why was Kassian completly fine and Eager had to go to the dressing room and isn't even practicing today?

If i'm in a fight, I'm alot more worried about getting hit in the nose or the jaw, then i am getting hit in the back of the head.

Posted Image

#80 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,487 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

Usually I agree with you but not on this Smass. Kassian did get a couple of shots in before being spun around and thrown to the ice by Eager. He did draw blood but the fight was a tie.

After seeing Kassian's play last night I'd rather him be on the ice than sitting in the penalty box for 5 min fighting and 2 min for instigating.

Especially right now when we are missing 2 key forwards. I'd rather have Vandy as 7th D, agitate a couple of opposing stars and get into a scrap and lay the law down. Hopefully he could get one of the opposing team's better players to drop the gloves ie: Lucic and take him out of the game for 5 mins.

I agree with you most often aswell, and I agree with some parts of your post, you don't really want a top 6 forward fighting but I think that was a seperate situation than it regularly happening, there are some circumstances that make it more acceptable.

I like what Vandy can bring but if it is between him stepping in once in awhile vs going to a much needed offensive option, I would take the risk of losing him, Vandy isn't a need for our club at the moment, we need to get that 2nd line going, we need more exicution and better offense, Kassian is the only one out of the 3 who has been good, we need Schroeder.

Also you are forgetting Volpatti, who is perfectly capable of doing the same thing, we just didn't see it since he missed all of last year, and I know Weise is trying to be more of a finesse player but he is also capable of standing up for teammates, even Lappierre showed last year he is willing to fight, then if all else fails we have our big dog waiting when he is absolutely needed and it is acceptable to fight (Kassian)

So that's pretty much my point, we need Schroeder right now more than having Vandy in the press box as an option when we need him, because we do have options who can bring what Vandy brings, where as our other 2nd line option (Ebbett) has been unimpressive.

zackass.png

#81 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

You're not gonna land a shot to the back of the head in a hockey fight like you can in MMA where you have the guy pinned on the ground.

And if a punch to the back of the head is more damaging, why was Kassian completly fine and Eager had to go to the dressing room and isn't even practicing today?

If i'm in a fight, I'm alot more worried about getting hit in the nose or the jaw, then i am getting hit in the back of the head.

Because Eager got cut. That's usually the extent of damage a punch above the brow will cause.

It's not only illegal in MMA its also illegal in Boxing where you can't pin down your opponent.

I'm not going to argue with you on this. You don't have knowledge on the subject and I have no intention to waist my time and effort. Go google it and do some research before making outlandish claims.

If you think punch to back of head is less damaging go tell every fight league in the world they are idiots who don't know what they are talking about.

#82 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,561 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

I agree with this opinion.

But I also think our odd's of loosing him to waivers at the moment were low. He can play, stay in shape and won't have to face re-entry waivers on the way back up any more with the new CBA. A calculated risk?

His value will be higher, and see last year, when teams like the Oilers are out of the race and idiots like Eager can have a chat with a gentleman like Vandy! Besides that, he would be a depth injury guy for the play off's.

Some one once said if you keep trying the same thing over and over again expecting different results it means your are Insane. Canucks keep trying to win the Cup with a soft team year after year.

They should have kept Vandermeer and put him in the lineup when a tough team comes to town. He doesn't need to play big minutes or to play every game. They could even dress 7 Dmen for those games. Hopefully Vandermeer doesn't get claimed.

This is a ridiculous move. I thought MG had learned after losing to LA and BOS the last 2 years.

You know what's great? A core player of ours can play shifts with the Twins, and take on a guy who in the past was running ragged and being a sh__! Also score a goal. One assist and we have a Gordie. I like our team better with Kass!

But I also would prefer more to have a guy like Vandy on the roster so we have a chance of keeping our core guy on the ice. However that is a juggling act; Tanev helps the team more as the 6th guy to win the actual score on the jumbotron!

:lol:

Ah; if it was a win Eager was still coming back. But happy to hear a quality individual like Eager was not feeling great after the fight! Nice to see a guy, who was not even a Canuck when this BS occured, making Eager a little more accountable!

Wrong:

Win Kass.

#83 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,357 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Because Eager got cut. That's usually the extent of damage a punch above the brow will cause.

It's not only illegal in MMA its also illegal in Boxing where you can't pin down your opponent.

I'm not going to argue with you on this. You don't have knowledge on the subject and I have no intention to waist my time and effort. Go google it and do some research before making outlandish claims.

If you think punch to back of head is less damaging go tell every fight league in the world they are idiots who don't know what they are talking about.

Wow somebodies arrogant today.

I don't care how much MMA knowledge you have, or whether it's illegal in other sports.

We're talking about hockey here. Hockey fighting has way different dynamics than regular fighting. You're standing on skates and swinging around. You're not pounding a guys head into a mat.

And again, Eager didn't even practice today. So I would say the damage to him was a little bit more than a cut to the eyebrow.

Posted Image

#84 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

Wow somebodies arrogant today.

I don't care how much MMA knowledge you have, or whether it's illegal in other sports.

We're talking about hockey here. Hockey fighting has way different dynamics than regular fighting. You're standing on skates and swinging around. You're not pounding a guys head into a mat.

And again, Eager didn't even practice today. So I would say the damage to him was a little bit more than a cut to the eyebrow.

Hopefully he's woozy and it was a concussion.

But yeah i'm moving on from this thread. I want to see Schroeder on the team today as well, but I would rather have seen Barker sent down.

I watched the Jets play Boston today morning. Wellwood sat on the bench as the game went on even though he was playing fine. When asked in post game interview why Wellwood was benched the coach said he was playing fine but the team needed more size and grit because Boston is a big team.

Wellwood is similar to JS. They should have kept Vandy and sent down Barker. Play Vandy when tough team comes to town.

Edit: Haven't been to gym today. Need to go and get my frustration out there, shouldn't have come off brash.

Edited by WHL rocks, 21 January 2013 - 05:28 PM.

#85 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,561 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

MMA or hockey a punch is a punch. That he came out ok is the luck of the draw.

A hit to the back of the head can be extremely dangerous.

I think Kass's helmet helped the situation somewhat.

Side note; I can pass Kass's victory dance off as youthful enthusiasm. He won't be doing himself or the Canucks any favours if he does this two years from now. In the meantime; it's a bit of a request for more comers... Do your business and move on. Check Laraque's; "good luck with that!"

#86 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,011 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

Alberts should of been waived. Nucks are too soft without Kesler and Booth.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#87 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

How quick yo forget. Hamhuis, our best Dman tried to lay a hit on Lucic and was out for the SCF. I guess Lucic's size and toughness had nothing to do with Hammer's injury.

Brown ran around and had his way with the Canucks and all of CDC was up in arms. Countless threads on Brown's ugly mug.

Only an ignorant NHL fan would say Canucks aren't soft. Even Vandermeer him self said the word around the league is Canucks can be pushed around and he could help in that department.

Every hockey fan in Canada knows Canucks are soft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEh53OWz0jU

I'd disagree that the nucks are 'soft'....they can take hits, play a gritty game etc. You don't get to the finals. Two pres trophies in a row without being able to take the tough part of the game.

However, perhaps semantics, but they certainly are not an INTIMIDATING team and reality is intimidation is part of sports. Either you are so talented to scare the crap out of other teams (think Oilers of the 80's, Pittsburgh when they are on, even Chicago when they are on a roll), or you have such big guys that you can intimidate physically - Boston.

Nucks are neither and having a guy or two who can play like Vandermeer backs teams in the latter position down a bit, and players like Kassian last night.

I guarantee you, the league noticed that Kassian cracked open that egghead on the oil last night, and may now start thinking twice about taking runs at the Sedins/Kes etc.

Problem is, we don't want Kassian in the box all the time and thats what Vandermeer can bring, hope he's not grabbed.

#88 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,580 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

There were some real sweet shots of that fight on nhl.com

Posted Image

Posted Image

anyways, on the subject of Vandermeer, maybe the idea is to have down in the AHL where he'll get real playing time, and be ready to step in closer to playoff time. In the meantime there's Alberts if we need a bigger body (yea yeah, I know most people hate him, but he's seen some improvement over the couple of years here) plus the coaching staff can keep a close eye on Barker and see what they've got with him.

#89 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,561 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

On a related subject, :P , has Vandermeer cleared waivers or do we know yet?

#90 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,477 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

On a related subject, :P , has Vandermeer cleared waivers or do we know yet?

Won't know until tomorrow.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.