The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

I think Garth Snow has got to be looking long at hard at Luongo right now.

Nabokov is his starter - approaching 38 and free agency. No indication Dipietro is going to turn it around. A pair of average prospects who aren't doing much to impress. They're only spending 50 million in cap space - almost counterintuitive in a market like New York - yet like it or not he's spending 8 million on goaltending, and that is not likely to change barring a huge Dipietro buyout that they can't afford unless they start winning and generating interest. Does he bite the bullet and spend a couple more on Luongo (relative to Nabokov)?

Nabokov and a package of youth and prospects to Vancouver.

His UFA status allows the Canucks have a backup to Schneider they're committed to only until the end of the season, and then shed his 2.75 million cap. Their youth and prospects (particularly at center) are deep.

Nabokov has been playing great, there is really no reason for them to look at Luongo.

Aside from that they won't have 2 huge contracts and we won't take Dipietro's deal.

Also it really doesn't make sense for them to waste young assets on an older goalie when they aren't in "win now" mode quite yet. If anything I would look at picking up a future stud goalie for Niederreiter (if they want to trade him) so they will have a young stud goalie to go along with that nice young core they are building.

Ok Bobbie Mac.

The Islanders have been winning by scoring - they've put up 4 or more in 5 of 7 games. I wouldn't say Nabokov has been "great" - he's been good enough - the point however is that in the very near future there are unavoidable longer term decisions to be made, which you didn't really touch upon. What young stud do you have in mind?

There are good reasons to look at Luongo - Dipietro's contract doesn't change the fact they'll need a starter, and with that group of young talent, it makes a lot of sense to backstop them with a proven winner who can generate interest in a massive market like New York. You can't sell the future forever in that market.

I think you are shooting too quickly, from the hip, on this one.

Ok Bobbie Mac.

The Islanders have been winning by scoring - they've put up 4 or more in 5 of 7 games. I wouldn't say Nabokov has been "great" - he's been good enough - the point however is that in the very near future there are unavoidable longer term decisions to be made, which you didn't really touch upon. What young stud do you have in mind?

There are good reasons to look at Luongo - Dipietro's contract doesn't change the fact they'll need a starter, and with that group of young talent, it makes a lot of sense to backstop them with a proven winner who can generate interest in a massive market like New York. You can't sell the future forever in that market.

I think you are shooting too quickly, from the hip, on this one.

Nabokov is 1st in the league in shots against and 2nd in Saves, and he's 4-1-1. And having caught a new NYI games on NHL center ice, he has been very good. Nabokov is fine, providing as good a goaltending as they could ask for.

It just really doesn't make alot of sense for them to make this move now, if they feel like giving up young assets then they could atleast wait for a few years till they are competitive enough that better goaltending would be needed. Not to mention they already have a few good young prospects in Nilsson and Poulin.

Also they won't be able to have both Luongo and Dipietro, and I don't think they can afford to buyout Dipietro. Unfortunately that is a road block unavoidable right now.

And when they are ready to contend how old will Luongo be? Will he be this good at 37-38? They are a-ways away.

When you break it down, the optics of the deal don't really make sense, unless you want to bring Dipietro this way, which I have no interest in doing.

Faced the most shots against? That sounds like Luongo's Panthers calling card - and it doesn't make Nabokov "great" - it means he's facing a lot of shots - and how will that pan out over 48 games in a short span for a 37 year old? His sv% is average - and funny you should call Luongo an "older" goalie when their present starter is a UFA in months and will be 38 at that time.

So you have no interest in Dipietro haha - no one will be interested in Dipietro. The Isles will have to double up on starter salaries regardless- as they already are - (or give up a whack of assets to rid themselves of Dipietro). There is nothing that "makes sense" in their situation. They can put a decision off until the end of the season (as you seem to be suggesting), but undoubtedly they are already well on their way to thinking this one out.

There is no way around it - it's that simple. Saying, 'oh, it doesn't make sense for them to give up assets to get a goaltender' doesn't change anything.

They are going to have to give up to get what they need in (and out of) goal - one way or another.

Faced the most shots against? That sounds like Luongo's Panthers calling card - and it doesn't make Nabokov "great" - it means he's facing a lot of shots - and how will that pan out over 48 games in a short span for a 37 year old? His sv% is average - and funny you should call Luongo an "older" goalie when their present starter is a UFA in months and will be 38 at that time.

So you have no interest in Dipietro haha - no one will be interested in Dipietro. The Isles will have to double up on starter salaries regardless- as they already are - (or give up a whack of assets to rid themselves of Dipietro). There is nothing that "makes sense" in their situation. They can put a decision off until the end of the season (as you seem to be suggesting), but undoubtedly they are already well on their way to thinking this one out.

There is no way around it - it's that simple. Saying, 'oh, it doesn't make sense for them to give up assets to get a goaltender' doesn't change anything.

They are going to have to give up to get what they need in (and out of) goal - one way or another.

Actually there is one solution that makes sense in that situation, Just holding onto Dipietro and there young assets. Waiting till they are a good team, and making a decision later on, right now is not the time to do it. They have some good young goalies and they aren't at the level yet where throwing away assets for Luongo would help them.

NHL.com is really pushing for Luongo to be our starter again. The headlines read that he is, and their poll states that the majority believe he is too.

I really hope MG holds off any trade talks for a while now just to see how this all unfolds. We should happily welcome Luongo back as our starter if he continues to outplay Schneider and trade the younger goalie.

NJ has Brodeur and Hedberg under contract for next season, so they're almost definitely out. No buyout of Martin Brodeur will occur to make room for Luongo, you can be pretty confident of that.

Detroit is interesting, but Howard is very popular there so it's probably not likely. It would also go completely against their successful formula of investing relatively few dollars into the position. Then there's McCollum, a 1st round pick from '08 (who hasn't really shown much promise, but, still, a 1st round pick that they may not have given up on).

as oldnews points out, that's not our problem, it's the Islanders problem. Let them figure it out. Fact is they are still approaching an off-season where they have a 38 yr old starter hitting UFA, a back-up perma-injured gongshow, and 2 ??s as prospects. Meanwhile their ridiculously deep younger crowd is just coming into its own and they're finally hitting a bigger arena/market. It's just kinda-maybe possible that they might want to reclaim their original super star goalie to time all of that to coincide with a few years making a run at the playoffs, let alone the cup.

NYI will be aiming to sell out and make a big splash when they hit their new arena.

"Hockey's Back!"

"Luongo's Back!"

If you haven't noticed, marketing isn't exactly the strong suit of the NHL. They prefer the jaw-dropping, cringingly obvious tactic. This trade would satisfy all needs.

Having said that, I still don't totally buy the logic. I still think a more forward thinking, long term planning team like the Devils or Red Wings are better suited to taking Luo in, as I've said recently here.

Once again, I said that I wouldn't be surprised if Calgary won the division, I did not say that they were going to win it.

Didn't another embarrassing 7-3 home-opener beating happen to some team that we all know and love, who were hosting a non-playoff team?

Archived