The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Kassian-CoHo deal

MarchandSucks

Let's not put too much pressure on the guy. He's young and relatively new to the NHL. He had a great night last night but he will, due to his youth and inexperience have his highs and lows.

I think up with the Sedins is a good position for him. He will learn loads and improve no end (as Burrows did) and it might also help the Twins to know there is a guy there who can knock the block off anyone who messes with them.

Now lets just put a few good results together.

i think we won the trade. not because either one is better than the other. i really loved having hodgson here, and was shocked he got traded. i had no idea what kassian was about other than his wjc and ahl stats. (and bar fight news releases). but i think GMMG got the better hand of the deal, because we got a scoring power forward (which we needed) and buffalo got a potential (small, which they have too much of already) first/second line center. end of story. sometimes you need a lidstrom, not a stevens. sometimes you need a stevens not a lidstrom. its about the team and what makes it complete, not the names on the board.

The only thing I would watch out for is what happens when he goes games without scoring? yes, he started the game with the twins, not saying that it's been that way the whole season (3 games) and of course nice deke on the shootout. I think you need to look at a body of work, not just a few games.

Up until now Vancouver has lost the trade, look at how CoHo did last year. Kass has had a great start to the year, and if he continues to play with the twins his confidence and offensive understanding will only go up..

To compare this year at this point is just ridiculous at this point, let at least 10 games happen before starting to bring out the measuring stick.

I'm not saying Kass is a bust or terrible or even average, just give it time. Everyone knows how the twins can make someone look good, so just hope that Kass keeps doing well and gets a chance to learn the offensive side of the game from 2 of the best in the league.

vanek 1st in league scoring, pominville tied for 2nd, kassian and hodgson tied with 2g apiece with hodgson getting more than five more minutes of ice time. lets hope cody gets a chance to learn the offensive side of the game from two of the leagues best (i liked cody too, but lets put this in perspective, he will have his fifth, or is it sixth injury in 3 years and get demoted behind stafford and we can stop having this arguement) wow this seemed kind of harsh, for that iam sorry

I love Canucks fan. Some of you are so bipolar. I can't wait until Kassian has a couple brain farts, gives up the puck leading to a goal from the other teams, us losing a game, then demanding he be traded and say we never should have traded CoHo!

Also, those 2 goals from CoHo were more like soccer plays, kicked it in and headed it in.

Cody didn't have a future here for quite a few years unless he learned to play wing. He wanted more ice time and a more offensive role. They are both totally different players and if you look at what needs the canucks have, kassian fits them better then cody.

You have to love the physical and offense threat that kassian has shown he has. Just wait till he gets more consistent and could possibly put up 30 goals 60 points.

I'm with DeNiro on this one - hate these comparisons and the jumping on/off a player's bandwagon on a game to game basis.

I like the crazy man element that he brings to the team...we need that. Someone that makes the other team wonder what the hell he's going to do. He crashes the net (literally) and is playing with intensity and fire right now. A welcome spark for sure. And he won all kinds of points with me for taking Eager down (who I despise). Don't like to hear that any player is concussed, but if ever there was one who asked for it, it's him.

At the start, we were all bashing this claiming that CoHo was gonna be a star and such. Cody currently has 2 goals and is +4. Zack has 2 goals (and a dandy of shootout goal) and is +1. I haven't seen Cody play yet this year, but from what I've seen Zack do for us, I'm really beginning to think we snatched up our Lucic or Brown. IMO, we've won this deal.

Thoughts?

The trade was a good thing for both teams as far as I'm concerned. I honestly don't see why people seem to think there's always a "winner" in a deal, when in fact it's not always that black and white. Gillis had to let Hodgson go sooner or later considering all the drama that he brought to the plate, and the Sabres needed a skilled centreman to help solidify their roster down the middle for now and years to come. We also addressed a toughness aspect, I guess, which is nice. We all know what the Sabres got in Hodgson, and I'm sure we're all very pleased with Kassian at the moment.

I'd like to start having more discussions about Kassian where Hodgson isn't brought up in every other sentence.

Last year absolutely everyone was bashing Kassian. Now many are thinking he's the next Todd Bertuzzi.

The only thing he's shown to me this season is that he has some skill that he didn't show last season, and he has some heart.

Cody also has two goals this season, so I don't think it is realistic to say, even based on the current stats and Kassian playing so well that we "won" the trade. At this point this season, I'd say it looks fairly even. (Which is better than it appeared last season)

If Kassian continues playing like this he will be successful. But you can't base a player on just a few games. So for me, the jury is still out on we did on the trade and probably will be until at least the end of the season... but more likely in a couple of years until it becomes clear on how we did with that trade.

And let's not forget, we did get Gragnani in the trade as well. ;)

If you happen to watch games other than just the canucks games you realize that cody is playing really well. I've watch all the buffalo and canucks games so far this year and both players are playing well. I wouldnt say that Kassian or Cody has been the better over each other but Kassian has had the bigger team impact. Thats not saying much since Buffalo has more than one line that is producing. It's probably hard when every highlight in BC is bragging about kassian, and i'm not knocking kassain, but i'm sure the same could be said about cody and the media in buffalo.

All i'm saying is Cody has been playing extremely well in buffalo this year looking really strong everytime he's on the ice. His goals weren't highlight real goals but he's had a ton of chances where you no he'll be baring it later in the year.

Both team exchanged two (four) players for each other that fill different team needs. Both players look like they are paying off. There is no Kassian is better because....or cody is better because...it's simply Kassian is better for vancouver because....and cody is a better fit with buffalo because.... Apples and oranges.

I'd bet CoHo would look pretty damn nice on the Sedins line too.

Still too early to tell but from the even before they were drafted CoHo has been rated higher, was drafted higher and received a bigger contract so all signs have pointed to Kassian as being an important role player and to CoHo a being a future captain and major point producer.

Archived