The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sami Salo will outperform Jason Garrison

Swedish Vikings

I just moved to TB in august from Seattle area. Im a huge Canucks fan and enjoyed going to the Sens game on Fri to watch Salo back in true form. The Lightning are getting good use out of him. Your right about him being a great mentor for the younglings. Also like to note that people seem to think they know everything that goes on behind the scenes, in the locker rooms, in players heads, etc. I see his surge lately as what would happen to anybody in a new role, a new town, a new start. Maybe he was tired of all the winey Vancouver fans and got jaded after so many snarky comments about his injuries. The trade was very good for him, and Im happy for him. Was funny to here an uneducated TB fan mocking him until he scored and got a sweet assist. They will learn who he is soon enough.

If our windows is these next 2-4 years...

Salo won't last the 3 years at that level. While he may be performing better than Garrison now (although playoffs is where we will really be judging, isn't it?) at 3-4 years he will be performing much worse.

Salo would be a reason the window is closing, instead of Garrison - a reason it is staying open...

Another 2 assists tonight and a +1. Leading the league in plus/minus and up there in points from defencemen.

He is right now the best defenceman in the NHL. Definately worth what he's getting paid for. I'm still a believer that Garrison will turn it around but it's looking like he's a one hit wonder more and more now.

That being said, he can go pointless in the regular season, but if he shines brightly in the playoffs I will consider this move a win by MG. Garrison is far better suited to the physicality of the playoffs than Salo was. We have enough weak puck movers on this team already, we lacked a big physical guy and Garrison has done wonders already in front of our own net clearing havoc.

Archived