The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Panthers can't afford Weiss, looking to trade him

Some folks don't really get that Luongo is one of the two best players to ever don a Panthers uniform (the other one was an ex-Canuck too BTW).

Lots of casual fans there who would love to see him back. Just look at posts here on CDC with folks always wanting mediocre ex-Canucks to return. It is more so for a less devoted fan base who need the star power and name recognition.

One of their local hockey reporters was talking about this on Team 1040 before Christmas.

They could do this if Howden holds weight, he looked good as a call up even when they got blown out by Philly.

I like this deal! I dream of better ones, but essentially Petrovic whom I like, a bit of depth (Bergenheim) and a shot at the cup (Weiss) for Lou...

Win, win

edit; not completely sarcastically, or un sarcastically, Mike Keenan is calling for Weiss as the centrepiece return on Lou... :rolleyes:

Are you kidding me? So we take Lous contract then we have Theodore(NTC)??? Ya make's so much sense for us.

Wow this thread is just radiating future GM's.

Listen guys. If you're going to make offer's at least use your head's. Please.

]

Botch has already mentioned that the guy Gillis was waiting for is Theodore, waiting for Florida to deal him somewhere. & listening to today's interview with Bob McKenzie & Botchford, DT needs some time to analyze his team has his team was filled with injures. There's no rush lol

If they truly were trying to clear money; there should be a way to get them to eat 1/2 Campbell's cap and ship him here.

Ballard and Lou for Campbell, Weiss and ??? (insert some variation on a pick) Campbell with the balance of our D instantly brings all tools to the table; we'd be cup favorites IMO.

Florida saves $25 mill in actual salary dollars on Weiss and Campbell.

I don't care what they said. If we can't afford Weiss, how can we afford Luo? It doesn't make sense. If we can afford Luo, we can afford Weiss. We don't need to trade Weiss. It's simply not happening. We have bigger problem's than goal tending. It make's more sense for us to address our scoring problem, rather than our goalie's.

It's not a matter of the Panthers not being able to afford another contract. If that's the case, then they're in major financial trouble.

The fact is that going forward they don't want to have a guy making around 5 million per on a long-term deal who is essentially their 2nd or 3rd-line center. Huberdeau is obviously going to take over 1st line, and they have a couple other solid center prospects, one of which could very well end up a great 2nd C. Maybe a contending team that is spending to the cap has no problem spending that kind of dough on a depth player, but Florida is not one of those teams. They need to structure their team and contracts more conservatively. If they're paying a guy big money, he better be a bonafide 1st liner for them.

However, a star, franchise goaltender who is your 1st line of defense for 85% of the games, who sells tickets and jerseys and promotes your team around North America, is an entirely different story from a 2nd/3rd center. That is worth spending one of your few large contracts on, even for a budget team like Florida.

Certainly Weiss has been the face of their franchise for some time now, so you also have to consider that impact on the fan base as much as you do bringing back another favourite in Luongo. He's their active leader in games, goals (PP, SH and game winning), assists, points and shots, and their career leader in games, assists and points. The fans will certainly be able to latch on to the young stars as well, but there's value in keeping some continuity.

I don't care what they said. If we can't afford Weiss, how can we afford Luo? It doesn't make sense. If we can afford Luo, we can afford Weiss. We don't need to trade Weiss. It's simply not happening. We have bigger problem's than goal tending. It make's more sense for us to address our scoring problem, rather than our goalie's.

Archived