The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Panthers can't afford Weiss, looking to trade him

Weiss will want a multi-year deal at around 5 per. Huberdeau and Bjugstad are the future in Florida, so they don't want to shell out that much on what will potentially be their #3 center. Can't blame them.

That said, Weiss would look great on the Nucks, even if he just ended up a rental. But I could see a team with bigger holes at center (looking at you, Calgary) offering a fair bit, with the aim to lock him up.

Booth: has shown, he "has" "shown" he can be good value for his paycheque. Got a knee injury last year, and it was his first year, coming in half-way. Injury was the real problem. Will he be worth his paycheque? A good chance, but no guarantee. Give him a chance.

Ballard: arguably, he is showing so far this year that he deserves his cheque. Let's see it continue, and there won't be any more complaining. Oh and seriously, stop complaining...

Weiss will want a multi-year deal at around 5 per. Huberdeau and Bjugstad are the future in Florida, so they don't want to shell out that much on what will potentially be their #3 center. Can't blame them.

That said, Weiss would look great on the Nucks, even if he just ended up a rental. But I could see a team with bigger holes at center (looking at you, Calgary) offering a fair bit, with the aim to lock him up.

That's the thing though, Weiss won't re-sign because he would be slotted as a 3rd line centre here, and would still require $4mil+.

Even if it means sliding Kes over to wing then one of Burrows or Booth wind up on the 3rd. I can't see how having a $4+ mil player on the 3rd line makes any sense for next year.

Weiss is essentially a rental so your trade suggested here is mediocre return. a solid single, maybe a ground rule double, but nothing more.

The thing is, Weiss as a rental brings value in the deal, we can't expect to get everything. Petrovic is a pretty good prospect and that 2nd in this deep draft could be very valuable.

Petrovic is a really good prospect, a top 4 guy with size, good allround skill and some nastyness/grit. The 2nd in this deep draft would be valuable as it would most likely be a mid round pick, could get a good player if this draft is anything like 03.

Imagine a future right side of: Corrado, Tanev, Petrovic.

Good point, Not too keen on Upshall either but I don't see anyone else we could bring in as a cap dump.

The thing is we have to take money back in this trade, cause if they can't afford Weiss they won't be able to afford Luongo without Cap Coming back.

Maybe Bergenheim instead? What's he signed for?

Good point, Not too keen on Upshall either but I don't see anyone else we could bring in as a cap dump.

The thing is we have to take money back in this trade, cause if they can't afford Weiss they won't be able to afford Luongo without Cap Coming back.

Maybe Bergenheim instead? What's he signed for?

I dont think we have to take a salary dump.They could always trade Weiss to another team if they wish to dump him.

Bergenheim is signed for 2.75m. preety good price but he's injured.

how about this, MG likes project players right? Mueller had lots of potential but didnt live up to it. They shed alittle bit of salary, enough to probably give Weiss his raise.

Mueller 1.75m (RFA)

Bjugstad

for

Luongo

Garrison looks fine defensively but he is not being used as effectively in Van as he was last year in Florida. No one is setting him up for one timers the way Campbell did on the PP.......He does not look like a 16 goal scorer right now at all. I didn't say those guys play like crap, I said they don't bring the same game to Vancouver when they end up here, which unfortunately in all 3 of those cases is true so far.

As for Booth, he has not played up to expectations at all and looks pretty average with Kesler.

Of course we all hope that will change but my point wasn't about what we hope for......

Archived