#1 ba;;isticsports

ba;;isticsports

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

Concerning our Dmen lately

I am thinking Garrison and Bieska should be eased in with less important minutes t the moment, if not only for them to get some confidence,or whatever it is they are lacking
I think Ballard and Tanev deserve the extra minutes
Edler has not been himself for sometime now

I just think, that having quality defencemen, You should reward the defence who Are playing well, and take the pressure off the ones who are not in order for them to find their game

Without having any stud defencemen, where everyone is above average, I dont believe You should name them 1st 2nd and 3 rd lines and stick with them regardless
When a forward is struggling or not performing, AV would say, we go with the players that give us the best chance to win

Now that the Canucks win streak is over. I would like to see some off our other Dmen move in to some games,depending if the prediction for that game may require talent or muscle,speed etc and insert the Appropriate Dman for the job. I see it as keeping the guys hungry and focused too and Our D sharp, if injuries should occur

Am I alone on my thoughts with this one?

#2 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

By "Bieksa and Garrison", you mean "Edler", right?

Edited by MaximYapierre, 15 February 2013 - 11:31 PM.

/=S=/

#3 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

POPULAR

Of all the D-Men, I think Garrison has been the worst.

g3HKFnX.png

#4 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

Wasn't there a thread about Garrison having the highest corsi rating out of all our d-men?

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#5 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

Time to split up 5 and 3.

Parings for next game:

Edler-Garrison
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Ballard-Tanev

Garrison should be put on the left side. Give it a shot, doesn't seem like Edler is at his best on his off side.
Posted Image

#6 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,013 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

I agree. Ballard and Tanev have been some of our better D's all season. Instead, AV will just let Garrison continue to struggle. I know it takes time to adjust to a new team, but he needs to adjust soon since our D makes too many mistakes. That goes for the whole team too though. We have one of the best defence groups in the league, but it doesn't look like it most nights.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#7 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

POPULAR

Pairings for next game:

Ballard - Tanev
Hamhuis - Edler
Garrison - Barker

Vintage brought up a great point, perhaps we should Scratch Bieksa so give him a wakeup call. His play has been laughable.

At this point I would rate them:

1. Ballard
2. Tanev
3. Hamhuis
4. Edler
5. Garrison
6. Bieksa

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 16 February 2013 - 01:59 AM.

zackass.png

#8 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

POPULAR

Of all the D-Men, I think Garrison has been the worst.

I actually miss Salo. What is it with this organization and Florida defensemen? It seems we look at the worst defensive team in the league and decide to trade for one of their defensemen. I'd rather have Ehrhoff and Salo right now instead of Garrison. Our PP has been awful because we are using one D on point, Edler, who keeps getting his shot blocked.

Posted Image

#9 Canada Hockey Place

Canada Hockey Place

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

POPULAR

To be honest I think all of the D have looked kind of average so far. Not bad or anything. Just out of synch.

Don't know why Garrison is singled out. I guess some people always need a whipping boy and don't notice things like he was the top PKer tonight and complain about how he doesn't score in his 21 seconds of PP time.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

#10 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

POPULAR

Pairings for next game:

Ballard - Tanev
Hamhuis - Edler
Garrison - Barker

Vintage brought up a great point, perhaps we should Scratch Bieksa so give him a wakeup call. His been laughable.

1. Ballard
2. Tanev
3. Hamhuis
4. Edler
5. Garrison
6. Bieksa

Bieksa is playing better than Garrison right now. At least Bieksa has produced, what the hell has Garrison done?

Posted Image

#11 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

POPULAR

Bieksa is playing better than Garrison right now. At least Bieksa has produced, what the hell has Garrison done?

Garrison is leading our defense in +/-

Bieksa has been terrible. He seems to have terrible games every game. And his games are especially terrible when he scores.

zackass.png

#12 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

Pairings for next game:

Ballard - Tanev
Hamhuis - Edler
Garrison - Barker

Vintage brought up a great point, perhaps we should Scratch Bieksa so give him a wakeup call. His been laughable.

1. Ballard
2. Tanev
3. Hamhuis
4. Edler
5. Garrison
6. Bieksa

Course it is kinda an unfair comparison when Bieksa and Garrison are playing against their first line and Ballard and Tanev are playing against their fourth.

Edited by WL Canuck Fan, 16 February 2013 - 12:16 AM.

Sig too big.

#13 needtogetswole

needtogetswole

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

I actually miss Salo. What is it with this organization and Florida defensemen? It seems we look at the worst defensive team in the league and decide to trade for one of their defensemen. I'd rather have Ehrhoff and Salo right now instead of Garrison. Our PP has been awful because we are using one D on point, Edler, who keeps getting his shot blocked.

worst defensive team in the league? - clearly you haven't been watching the winning streak...

we've allowed the least amount of goals until today in the league I'm sure were still top 3 in least amount allowed.

#14 Crowfro

Crowfro

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:20 AM

Erhoff was a perfect fit with our style of team. PP is not the same without him. Erhoff got his shot through on target.

#15 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

Even if we get Salo back, he's just gonna be another defenseman from (Tampa Bay) Florida now :(

He'll just become another Ballard, Garrison, Reinprecht, or Booth :'(
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#16 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

worst defensive team in the league? - clearly you haven't been watching the winning streak...

we've allowed the least amount of goals until today in the league I'm sure were still top 3 in least amount allowed.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe were still tied for first with Boston, they let in four goals today as well.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#17 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

Am talking about Florida not Vancouver. Read my post again.

Posted Image

#18 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

Course it is kinda an unfair comparison when Bieksa and Garrison are playing against their first line and Ballard and Tanev are playing against their fourth.

I disagree, I think our pairs are balanced out, we don't care about line-matchups.

And even if we were Bieksa - Garrison aren't out against the 1st lines anyways. That would be Edler and Hamhuis.

zackass.png

#19 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:37 AM

Don't care what the stats say, Edler, Garrison and Juice have not played good defense.

#20 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,049 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:41 AM

Wasn't there a thread about Garrison having the highest corsi rating out of all our d-men?

Yes. Highest among our D. Ballard and Tanev are playing well, but what many just don't get, they're also not getting the toughest assignments in line matching.
Posted Image

#21 vwnuck

vwnuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

Pairings for next game:

Ballard - Tanev
Hamhuis - Edler
Garrison - Barker

1. Ballard
2. Tanev
3. Hamhuis
4. Edler
5. Garrison
6. Bieksa

what is laughable is that bieksa was the only d with a + and yet he is the one getting slaged on...did you watch the game.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:25 AM

I remember that game vs the Avs last year, where Juice made a diving save, then game tying goal in the dying seconds. He played like crap all game long. I don't really recall the details, but he was probs awful in that game 5 vs the Sharks too. Just how he rolls i guess.

#23 rawkdrummer

rawkdrummer

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:29 AM

Edler has been very inconsistent to the point (although he's shown some great offense) and to which he's now playing with Hamhuis or is that because Beiska (a true leader) is helping Garrison conform to a new system? I don't know which it is but....

Ballard and Tanev have looked good to me especially tonight in a losing cause (great passing between these this pairing), I think they're very deserving of their minutes.

It's very positive that we have maybe the best top 6 d-man in the entire league for a single team.

#24 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:35 AM

what is laughable is that bieksa was the only d with a + and yet he is the one getting slaged on...did you watch the game.

Yes I did, he made some terrible plays. Like always. There is a reason everyone calls him Casual Kev. He is as streaky as they come.

zackass.png

#25 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,605 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:42 AM

It's different than the forwards because you can't simply give the highest price goes smaller roles. You need them at their highest level, and it's okay if they struggle now because it's the regular season. If it's half way through the season, you start making changes, if they still look like that with a quarter of a season left, then you have a problem.

There's a lot of guys playing on the wrong sides.

Kevin Bieksa being the same old Bieksa. I'm sure he'll tidy up his game just before the playoffs. Same with Edler, though still adjusting to new pairs, along with Garrison and also coming back from injury. They'll all be asked to tighten it up in the playoffs, so they'll look better defensively when the time comes.

The only real concern is Garrison's speed. Maybe he can learn because Bieksa isn't that fast either.

Edited by Rey, 16 February 2013 - 01:56 AM.

#26 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,049 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:46 AM

Pairings for next game:

Ballard - Tanev
Hamhuis - Edler
Garrison - Barker

1. Ballard
2. Tanev
3. Hamhuis
4. Edler
5. Garrison
6. Bieksa

Edler 9 pts -1
Hamhuis 7 pts -1 (only player with a worse +/- is Malhotra)
Bieksa 4 pts +6
Garrison 3 pts +4

Bieksa is the laughable one? You'll have to explain how the two with the most points are a minus while the two that play the oppositions best are a plus to justify saying Bieksa is laughable..He leads the D in hits and is second in blocked shots. Although Ballard has never looked better in a Canucks uniform, he and Tanev typically draw the easiest assignments in line matching.
Posted Image

#27 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:54 AM

Garrison sucks no matter who he plays with.

Edler can't play D to save his life.

Neither can hit the broad side of a barn.

Getting really sick of both of these players.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#28 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

Edler 9 pts -1
Hamhuis 7 pts -1 (only player with a worse +/- is Malhotra)
Bieksa 4 pts +6
Garrison 3 pts +4

Bieksa is the laughable one? You'll have to explain how the two with the most points are a minus while the two that play the oppositions best are a plus to justify saying Bieksa is laughable..He leads the D in hits and is second in blocked shots. Although Ballard has never looked better in a Canucks uniform, he and Tanev typically draw the easiest assignments in line matching.

He's 2nd in Giveaways (one behind Edler) and tied for last in takeaways (With Garrison)

It's not tough to tell by watching the games he has been inconsistent, his has been Casual Kev at his best. Making risky plays, risky pinches. Just look at tonight, he made a bad play and it cost a 5 on 3 against.

He brings offense, as he seems to score every couple games, but he is way too risky defensively.

zackass.png

#29 zejono

zejono

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:57 AM

Pairings for next game:

Ballard - Tanev
Hamhuis - Edler
Garrison - Barker

1. Ballard
2. Tanev
3. Hamhuis
4. Edler
5. Garrison
6. Bieksa

Ballard was drafted 11th overall for a reason. AV just loves to hate him

#30 snolan

snolan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:57 AM

I don't think Bieksa looks any different then he ever does? He's a bit of a high risk/high reward dman which suits our system pretty well.

Garrison is a bit under-whelming (offense very under-whelming) but he has stabilized and doesn't look completely lost like he did in the early games

Edler is great some games, lost others (he looked lost vs Dallas) he's a bit of an enigma.

I think the core misses Salo more then we like to admit as he seemed to stabilize a pairing like Hamhuis does now. I don't think we need to panic, but we are definitely going to have those 'oh god' games with our group.

CMON GUYS HAVE SOME FAITH! WE ARE GOING TO WIN. ANYONE CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT IF THEY WANT. YOULL SEE

-- 1st Period of Game 2 VS the Kings, 2012 Series

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.