The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Garrison and Bieska

Ballisticsports.

IMO bieksa only had two noticeably bad plays:

A bad pinch

A bad cross ice pass coming back into our zone.

He's by far our most physical dman consistently for what that's worth

Last night he was our only physical dman...I notice it more now when he is paired with JaGarr who for s big guy seems weak and unphysical...I don't think he protects the puck well, hasn't added hitting to his game, and loses battles to smaller guys.

Still waiting for the type of playoff dman this team needs.

With a one and a half months to go before playoffs, these guys need to focus on adjusting and improving their play. Replacing them with lesser players will stop this process. Edler should be playing on the left side. I don't see that Bieksa is playing that bad -people seem to focus only on his risky plays. Garrison will be an important factor in the playoffs. He's the only guy that can clear the net. He's only layed 13 games on a new team in a new conferance.

If these guys are 'playing injured,' the Nucks are screwed already.

Disagree, this year and in the past he has shown he has it.

He did even at times in the prior few years.

¸Just look at tonight, he made a great play to setup the JS chance that injured Lehtonen, and stepped up on another chance and rung it off the crossbar.

He totally has the ability to be a puck mover.

I'd be hesitant to put Garrison on the right-side. I've been noticing he had below-average puck handling on his forehand. I wouldn't want to force him to use his backhand. He has a tendency to just chop at the puck; he's not very smooth.

That being said, I would like to reunite the Hamhuis-Bieksa pairing. The real problem here is we need another right-handed defenseman.

I'm always wondering, if Tanev is a great passer and position ally sound, why the Canucks don't play him with Edler for all the primary offensive shifts?

One player in our FOUR top four capable left side guys always has to play their off side.Edler and Ballard have both shown their actually pretty awkward at it. Hamhuis is so valuable where he is. Old News rang up some stats pre-season suggesting Garrison, who got great grades defensively started the majority of his shifts on the right side which is also his off side. Garrison should be the guy who moves over.

And we have two line options IMO

Edler Garrison or Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Bieksa Hamhuis Bieksa

Ballard Tanev Ballard Garrison

IMO I want to see how playing with a stud defensive guy would also free up Ballard? Tanev is one thing, Garrison makes the pairing 220 and 212 lbs including Ballards dynamic speed and a massive big shot bringing up the rear. It would be our most physically gifted tandem. I think that would allow us to see the true Ballard.

Disagree, this year and in the past he has shown he has it.

He did even at times in the prior few years.

¸Just look at tonight, he made a great play to setup the JS chance that injured Lehtonen, and stepped up on another chance and rung it off the crossbar.

He totally has the ability to be a puck mover.

He is also the consumate team player that would fall on his own sword rather than blame others, even a coaching staff who by anyone's account really have not given him any opportunity to show what he can do offensively here. With all due respect, he wants to play. What is he going to say?

Concerning our Dmen lately

I am thinking Garrison and Bieska should be eased in with less important minutes t the moment, if not only for them to get some confidence,or whatever it is they are lacking

I think Ballard and Tanev deserve the extra minutes

Edler has not been himself for sometime now

I just think, that having quality defencemen, You should reward the defence who Are playing well, and take the pressure off the ones who are not in order for them to find their game

Without having any stud defencemen, where everyone is above average, I dont believe You should name them 1st 2nd and 3 rd lines and stick with them regardless

When a forward is struggling or not performing, AV would say, we go with the players that give us the best chance to win

Now that the Canucks win streak is over. I would like to see some off our other Dmen move in to some games,depending if the prediction for that game may require talent or muscle,speed etc and insert the Appropriate Dman for the job. I see it as keeping the guys hungry and focused too and Our D sharp, if injuries should occur

Am I alone on my thoughts with this one?

This I agree with. Based on the way they are playing, Ballard and Tanev should have their icetime from 17mins/16mins respectively bumped up to 18-19 minutes each.

Edler continues to have inconsistency issues with his defensive zone coverage, and with Bieksa...well, you know what you're getting with him (high risk/high reward). Hamhuis has been his usual steady, quiet self, and Garrison is starting show that he can be relied on defensively (and he's been hung out to dry by Bieksa on more than a few occasion). I think Edler and Bieksa's icetime needs to be pared back with this time given to Ballard and Tanev.

For the past few seasons, the Canucks have been playing a five man attack game in the offensive zone with the d-men doing a lot of pinching. Obviously, this is high risk and high reward (which suits Bieksa's mindset). The Canucks of 2012-2013 so far has been playing a much more patient/conservative/defensive game which I believe explains partly as to the renaissance of Luongo. With Kesler coming back and some recent success the team has enjoyed offensively, I believe the Canucks are trying to transition back to their attack first mentality, which didn't serve them well last night (especially the bad pinches by Bieksa and Edler). I'll be interested to see if the Canucks go back to a more defensive mindset against the Blues, or try to move their game to a more offensive style, with the defence being very involved in the offensive zone.

The season is still young...we've got the luxury of an unexpected very good start, and we've got teams in the NW division that seemed to have digressed and do not appear to be threats to our reign as NW division champs. So personally, I think we have the opportunity to work out a lot of the kinks right now (i.e., giving Edler time to adjust to the right side; distributing ice time more evenly, allowing Garrison the time to work into the system, etc., giving Tanev and Ballard more responsibility, etc.) without fear of being seeded anywhere less than third in the Western Conference.

The problems that we have on our back end are, as problems go, are good ones to have. We have 3/4 quarters of the shortened season to work these things out. On paper, our top 6 D are as good as any in the NHL...I'm certain they will gel over the next month.

I'm always wondering, if Tanev is a great passer and position ally sound, why the Canucks don't play him with Edler for all the primary offensive shifts?

One player in our FOUR top four capable left side guys always has to play their off side.Edler and Ballard have both shown their actually pretty awkward at it. Hamhuis is so valuable where he is. Old News rang up some stats pre-season suggesting Garrison, who got great grades defensively started the majority of his shifts on the right side which is also his off side. Garrison should be the guy who moves over.

And we have two line options IMO

Edler Garrison or Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Bieksa Hamhuis Bieksa

Ballard Tanev Ballard Garrison

IMO I want to see how playing with a stud defensive guy would also free up Ballard? Tanev is one thing, Garrison makes the pairing 220 and 212 lbs including Ballards dynamic speed and a massive big shot bringing up the rear. It would be our most physically gifted tandem. I think that would allow us to see the true Ballard.

Archived