114 replies to this topic

#61 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,789 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

i wouldn't single edler out he's been the same as the other d-men on this team with the exception of perennial whipping boy ballard (who's looked good) and his partner tanev. the "top" 4 have all looked rough making poor decisions, horrible passes and missing the net with shots. time for AV to send a message and let one of them watch a game he could say he drew the name out of a hat from his top 4.

I would single out Bieksa or Edler, and even throw Hamhuis in there so it doensn't look biased.

I would sit Eddy and see what Barker, a similar player can do in that position.

Edited by Dogbyte, 19 February 2013 - 01:30 PM.

There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#62 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,789 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

With the way Edler has played?? He scored 49 points last year and has 10 points in 14 games this year along with being well above average defensively. If he was a defensive stud, which seems to be what a lot of you are expecting out of him, he'd be a 7.5 - 8 million dollar defenseman. As of now, he's being paid a very reasonable $5 million a year to skate on the 1st pairing and anchor both special teams units. He's above average at all those things and he's also on the verge of being a 50 point defenseman. These kind of defenseman are highly coveted league wide. The fact you think Edler is only worth $2.5 mill shows how limited you are in your perspective. Get real.

Wow, what planet do you live on?

If the bud is always that good there I'd like to apply for a visa.

The Homer glasses are in full effect.

#63 The Big Luongo

The Big Luongo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

I knew a couple Edler loving clowns would be all over that statement lol.

The fact is dmen in this league are a dime a dozen who would put up huge points with the Sedins so that doesn't wash with me.

There should be a lot more to a top 4 minutes 5 million dman then Sedin aided point totals and Edler has been severely lacking in all the other departments.

With Edlers complete useless play all over the ice and as wimpy that he is he sure wouldn't be in my top 4 making 5 million on a cup contending team because he is a complete liability.

You guys are blind.

Edited by The Big Luongo, 19 February 2013 - 01:25 PM.

#64 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

Doesn't really matter to me what you guys say. Under-appreciation and over-criticism of our own players is common-place among the Canucks fanbase.

Your guys' assessment of Edler is about as useless and meaningless as Jason Botchford's newspaper columns.

#65 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

Doesn't really matter to me what you guys say. Under-appreciation and over-criticism of our own players is common-place among the Canucks fanbase.

Your guys' assessment of Edler is about as useless and meaningless as Jason Botchford's newspaper columns.

So you think Edler is at the top of his game??

#66 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

So you think Edler is at the top of his game??

No, I don't think he's at the top of his game at the moment. That's not what this discussion is about, though. It's about his abilities in general. The way some folks around here talk, it's like Edler is an all around horrible defenseman, which is just so completely false. I wish I had a better grasp on advanced statistics so I could provide some facts but I'm totally lost with that stuff. All I know is that often times when I watch Edler, I see a sizeable, calm defenseman who has his blemishes in his own zone from time to time, but whose good qualities far outweigh the bad. He's a decent skater for his size, his outlet passing is very good (I notice several of his assists come off sweet outlet passes to forwards rushing up ice) and he's not afraid of physicality, although he's not a mean defenseman who necessarily initiates the phsicality all the time.

In short, he's far from the perfect defenseman, but folks, that's why he's NOT one of the best defensemen in the league. You guys criticize people for thinking highly of Edler, yet at the same time you hold him to those high standards. Doesn't compute.

#67 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

No, I don't think he's at the top of his game at the moment. That's not what this discussion is about, though. It's about his abilities in general. The way some folks around here talk, it's like Edler is an all around horrible defenseman, which is just so completely false. I wish I had a better grasp on advanced statistics so I could provide some facts but I'm totally lost with that stuff. All I know is that often times when I watch Edler, I see a sizeable, calm defenseman who has his blemishes in his own zone from time to time, but whose good qualities far outweigh the bad. He's a decent skater for his size, his outlet passing is very good (I notice several of his assists come off sweet outlet passes to forwards rushing up ice) and he's not afraid of physicality, although he's not a mean defenseman who necessarily initiates the phsicality all the time.

In short, he's far from the perfect defenseman, but folks, that's why he's NOT one of the best defensemen in the league. You guys criticize people for thinking highly of Edler, yet at the same time you hold him to those high standards. Doesn't compute.

Thanks. I think Edler is a really good defenseman, but as you say, maybe not as physical or flashy as some, but very solid. I think his current "struggles" is just adjustment to his unfamiliar side and not a reflection of anything "wrong" per se. Which some people have said as well. Question for me is simply how long do they wait for the adjustment to take or do they move him back just to be safer. If they don't wait out the adjustment period, they'll lose the ability to use him on that side when they need to.

#68 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

Zdeno Chara
Duncan Keith
Drew Doughty
Ryan Suter
Shea Weber
Erik Karlsson
Kris Letang
Alex Pietrangelo
Mike Green

Those are basically the only 9 defensemen I would take over Alex Edler at the moment. Green is debatable, but I think he, like Edler, gets criminally underrated as a solid defensive defenseman. Victor Hedman is also fast entering this discussion. He's actually a lot like Edler but bigger and much better skater.

Edited by NuxFan09, 19 February 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#69 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

There are also some defensive defensemen that I would consider taking above Edler, like Girardi and McDonagh on the Rangers, or a very good PP quarterback like Andrei Markov.

Anyway, Edler is probably a top 15 defenseman league-wide, is what I'm saying, given his complete package of size, above average but not elite defensive abilities, offensive abilities, and his ability to eat up a ton of minutes and play in every situation.

#70 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

I am not too concerned about Edler. Yes, I too have noticed some suspect defensive plays. However, as people have said, he's playing on his off side for one, and he's having a career year in points.
Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#71 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,166 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

Sadly the Canucks lost their second game in a row today. I have noticed something similar in each one of the losses.

Alex Edler is one the ice and making bad plays. His passing is spot on if his teammates were the skates of the Blues.

He is weak in his own zone and absent physically. He laid out one hit, and was pummelled repeatedly. He was on the ice for the tying and winning goals against the Stars, and was on for two today. I actually witnessed Luongo shove him out of his way.

This is the play of the highest paid defensman on the team? Can somebody explain what Edler's strategy is? Or just put up another impotent facepalm?

The defense is leaderless. Edler should be based on his salary, but he isn't even close. Of the top four he is the largest, yet is also the least physical. Bieksa leads the team with 24 hits and has found his game.

You'd think making five million a year would motivate someone. Give them some consistency.

This is Edler's year to prove himself or I certainly hope he'll be on the trading block.

Yeah I know there are homers here who will defend Edler to the death. Blame Luongo or the Sedins rather than looking at the real issue that the "defense by committtee" idea only gets you so far and that eventually you need a leader on the blueline.

Edler is a forward with an identity crisis. He can score with that cannon of a shot, but he can't clear the crease to save his life. He is this team's most glaring weakness. I've wanted him to prove me wrong, since 2010.

He hasn't.

I can already hear le Choir de Deutsche Baggio piping up.

No wonder he had an identity crisis - folks can't even decide whether he's a defenseman or a forward...

But seriously, I don't think Edler is that adept with the juggling d partners - he needs a stable right side guy and he'll be a confident norris candidate, but without the structure and on his off side, we will probably get the flashes of brilliance and the odd inconsistent lapses...
Or he's still getting into form after an offseason injury and no real training camp...

#72 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

Wow, what planet do you live on?

If the bud is always that good there I'd like to apply for a visa.

The Homer glasses are in full effect.

This coming from the one who wants Barker playing instead of Edler...

#73 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

Statistics are always handy but only provide half the facts when it comes to a players ability. Edler is a liability. Like I have said before in this post, he can shoot and score, but as an actual defenseman his game is lacking. Saying there are "blemishes" from time to time is the understatement of the year.

Fact is he is the highest paid defenseman on the Canucks, so by logic that would indicate that he is the best of the blueline. However nothing could be farther from the truth, NUx Fan. As a defenseman, he is woefully underperforming in his own end. He is positionally stunned, completely inconsistent with his physicality and zone coverage, and seems confused.

The only Canucks making more than him are Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, and Roberto Luongo. He makes the same as Ryan Kesler. However if you consider the achievements and ability to dominate play that the four aforementioned players have, Edler is flat out not earning his money. He needs to be a force out there every night. He isn't. At all.

As a forward, he is more than adequate.
Posted Image

#74 KraKassian

KraKassian

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

He should be treated exactly how Ehrhoff was treated.

#75 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,109 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

He should be treated exactly how Ehrhoff was treated.

Offer him a good contract and trade him if he refuses it? Sounds good, he's already accepted the contract offer we made to keep him around next year.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#76 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,789 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

Zdeno Chara
Duncan Keith
Drew Doughty
Ryan Suter
Shea Weber
Erik Karlsson
Kris Letang
Alex Pietrangelo
Mike Green

Those are basically the only 9 defensemen I would take over Alex Edler at the moment. Green is debatable, but I think he, like Edler, gets criminally underrated as a solid defensive defenseman. Victor Hedman is also fast entering this discussion. He's actually a lot like Edler but bigger and much better skater.

You can add

Enstrom
Kronwall
Boyle
Seabrook
Hamhuis
Larsson
Martin
Hedman
Murray
Shattenkirk
Johnson
Markov
Diaz
Emelin
Bufuglien

as well

This coming from the one who wants Barker playing instead of Edler...

lol, I was responding to the post about sending a message by sitting a guy for a game or two. I don't see that as a permanent solution if you choose to read and comprehend at all.

Look I like Edler and realize he is one of the better defenders in the NHL, at least potential wise. I just can't stand the mistakes ... and I call a spade a spade.

Mistakes is what wins or loses games, especially at the playoff level. And his blunders cost us games when it counts.

Edited by Dogbyte, 19 February 2013 - 04:09 PM.

#77 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

I would single out Bieksa or Edler, and even throw Hamhuis in there so it doensn't look biased.

I would sit Eddy and see what Barker, a similar player can do in that position.

Oh my frigging god.

No. That is just flat out silly

Hilarious...chastise folks for having homer glasses, but all you are doing is packaging Eddy's dumb plays as his performance as a whole.

As ive said elsewhere, i almost dont blame people who do, because his follies are so comical, but he has NOT been as bad as people make him out to be.

He has been making some solid defensive plays more than boning up.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#78 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

Oh my frigging god.

No. That is just flat out silly

Hilarious...chastise folks for having homer glasses, but all you are doing is packaging Eddy's dumb plays as his performance as a whole.

As ive said elsewhere, i almost dont blame people who do, because his follies are so comical, but he has NOT been as bad as people make him out to be.

He has been making some solid defensive plays more than boning up

This just about sums it up nicely. Definitely makes mistakes, but is also a dependable top pairing defenseman. It's hilarious how some people here see his mistakes and come to the conclusion that he's an awful defenseman. Same people that call Luongo a terrible goalie, at least before he became popular again this year. Fickle ???? Canucks fans.

#79 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

This just about sums it up nicely. Definitely makes mistakes, but is also a dependable top pairing defenseman. It's hilarious how some people here see his mistakes and come to the conclusion that he's an awful defenseman. Same people that call Luongo a terrible goalie, at least before he became popular again this year. Fickle ???? Canucks fans.

Cheers.

Not sure why he is being so picked on right now (usually the weak minded point towards a new contract), he actually has flirted with inconsistency thruout his whole time here. But so does every single good d-man in their first handful of years in the NHL.

I reckon he will hit a good balance much sooner than later with his new back, and essentially playing out his training camp in games.

The well-respected Scott Cullen, in his early season awards, cited Eddy, as a "close/other consideration" for the Norris.

Posted Image

#80 70seven

70seven

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

Edler will be part of a gianormus trade package for Weber this off-season.

#81 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#82 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

Cheers.

Not sure why he is being so picked on right now (usually the weak minded point towards a new contract), he actually has flirted with inconsistency thruout his whole time here. But so does every single good d-man in their first handful of years in the NHL.

I reckon he will hit a good balance much sooner than later with his new back, and essentially playing out his training camp in games.

The well-respected Scott Cullen, in his early season awards, cited Eddy, as a "close/other consideration" for the Norris.

You calling others weak minded? Seriously? The irony is delicious. Go buy Scott Cullen a beer. By the way there buddy, Edler isn't flirting with inconsistency. He married to it. Much like you are to mediocrity.
Posted Image

#83 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:58 AM

You calling others weak minded? Seriously? The irony is delicious. Go buy Scott Cullen a beer. By the way there buddy, Edler isn't flirting with inconsistency. He married to it. Much like you are to mediocrity.

The irony is delicious. Who scored that one goal from the blueline, aside from Juice?

Lulz.

Posted Image

#84 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

The irony is delicious. Who scored that one goal from the blueline, aside from Juice?

Lulz.

The same guy who watched various Blackhawk forwards enter the defensive zone and score that's who. He couldn't even stand up for himself. He had to have Hamhuis do it. Yeah, real defensive force out there.

You see it's Edler homerisms like this that pay attention merely to the points he creates and not the goals against that he is chronically responsible for. They kind of cancel each other out.
Posted Image

#85 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

If anybody will be, it will be Edler plus a top 9 forward and a couple of first rounders or a prospect. Gillis did visit with Weber this summer for three hours in Kelowna to declare his interest. Also Weber and his agent asked for a NTC and NMC but were refused by David Poile so it seems obvious that he will be traded to begin a rebuild in Nashville. That is if the franchise survives the next decade.

Vancouver has as much of a chance as any to land him this July. But Edler lovers will categorically deny this and post ironic impotent facepalms and pictures instead of discussing it.

Edited by Canuck-a-nuck, 20 February 2013 - 03:46 PM.

Posted Image

#86 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

So far not impressed, LA last year was a nightmare for Edler , doesn't look like much has changed accept a new contract, 5 million a year for half ass effort, total defensive liability and a body check once every 5-7 games.

If he doesn't come strong this year you might as well package with him a goalie and get a worthy piece back.

Bieksa needs to start playing with some edge too.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#87 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

Edler seems very reluctant to take charge of plays. It's almost like he's worried he'll make mistakes, especially given Vancouver's fanbase and his new contract. Funnily enough, his caution seems to be working against him.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#88 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,890 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

Zdeno Chara
Duncan Keith
Drew Doughty
Ryan Suter
Shea Weber
Erik Karlsson
Kris Letang
Alex Pietrangelo
Mike Green

Here's a fun fact we could have picked Karlsson over Hodgson.

:bigblush:

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 20 February 2013 - 08:54 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#89 Socrates

Socrates

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

I knew a couple Edler loving clowns would be all over that statement lol.

The fact is dmen in this league are a dime a dozen who would put up huge points with the Sedins so that doesn't wash with me.

There should be a lot more to a top 4 minutes 5 million dman then Sedin aided point totals and Edler has been severely lacking in all the other departments.

With Edlers complete useless play all over the ice and as wimpy that he is he sure wouldn't be in my top 4 making 5 million on a cup contending team because he is a complete liability.

You guys are blind.

It's a fact: more people seem to notice Good Eddie instead of what a minority of us (albeit growing, from what I can tell) are trying to signal here (Bad Eddie). Take the blinders off people - look at Phoneix' winning goal tonight (3-2 @ Rogers) and objectively assess Edler's play. He makes mistakes like that all the time, and tonight it did cost us plenty.

Edler WILL unfortunately make mistakes like this in the playoffs. By the time time more people see this problem, it could be too late.

Don't get me wrong - I am not picking on everyone after a bad result. For instance, Tanev had a somewhat shaky one tonight, but he is usually very steady and fights hard to recover when he makes mistakes - which is awesome in my books. Edler should learn a thing or two from his younger colleague.

#90 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

Edler...known for his accurate "drop passes" during the power play and he his inconsistent defensive coverage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.