The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

really amazes me that with all the young centre ice depth the panthers have that they wont give one of them up for a goalie.

huberdeau

shore

bjustad

trocheck

matthias

are all great centre ice prospects, trocheck for anyone wondering has 101points this year in the OHL and a gold medal for the US.

If all the canucks are asking for is a 3rd line centre, a B+/A- prospect and a 2nd/3rd round pick i dont get how this deal hasnt been done yet. Especially if Gillis is willing to take a capdump player to facilitate a trade.

I know Gillis wasnt willing earlier in the year to take a capdump player, but you would have to think hes changing his tune on that one.

Yeah, I dunno - Briere's been in the 30 assist range for the past half decade - not sure that is enough playmaker for Kesler...jk. If anything, with those teammates I'd almost expect better numbers of a "playmaker".

Read - 23 as a rookie - on the same pace... Read actually takes less shots than Briere - just has a better shooting percentage...

Never hear the end of how we get manhandled in the playoffs, so really, neither would be ideal, but I like Read's bang for the buck - worth paying for imo, and I like that he's another undrafted gem.

I don't think so.

Nielsen is IMHO one of the most underrated players in the league. He is a fantastic playmaker and fits in perfect to the AV mold of every player having some PK skill. He also gives us a solid shoot out regular after Burrows. NYI will want some sort of replacement and I think Schroeder is it. I don't think he will ever become a regular on our roster. Gaunce has way more upside.

Nabokov is a very talented goalie and would be the perfect candidate to ease the workload off of Schneider (even though I would prefer Lu staying). If he signs for next season we have no worries in goal and it allows Lack to get ready for his chance in 2014.

The 2nd/3rd + 4th can be used to get another center or defense man at the deadline.

Maybe Goc from florida for 2 3rds? Green from Washington?

Ideally this deal would happen tomorrow allowing gillis a few weeks to make a trade for 1 or 2 pieces. If we can move Ballard for a pick along with the 2 picks in this trade, getting a RHD (Y. Webber?) and shutdown center are possible.

Yeah, and he's becoming more winger than he is center - he's taking less than 4 draws a game this season - and it's been 6 years since he had a season where he was 50% in the faceoff circle.

I'm not in the "aye" crowd on Briere - I think he's been a great player through his career, but at this point I don't like the fit or the implications of his cap hit - unless he puts up a whole lot of offensive output, what you have is a small, not particularly physical guy, not too good in the dot, and not a particularly strong two way player.

Would rather have Read.

Luo, Ebbett, Sestito for Read, Talbot, 2nd.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/02/27/nhl-notebook-daniel-briere-doesnt-want-to-leave-philly

Here's the news on briere not wanting to waive his NTC. It's got direct quotes from briere saying his heart is in Philly and doesn't want to leave. He doesn't say he refuses but it's pretty clear he's not going anywhere.

He's pretty much a pipe dream or a massive bidding war.

I'm not trying to bust Briere's b's, I just can't get too excited about the idea. Yes he has scored consistently in the playoffs - but he's also -13 in his last 22 playoff games. - and I really don't like the matchup in my mind's eye, of going up against Kopitar Brown Williams Richard Carter.... or the Hawks, or the Blues... Trading points with the porous Penguins is one thing, but I guess I'm hung up on two way players.

I like Briere - but not the idea of what would have to be done to get him in under the 64 cap...Tbh I'd prefer a two way guy like Goc who can win faceoffs, play the shutdown center 3C role, and chip in...

Raymond 6, 6, 12, +2

Briere 5, 8, 13, -8.

I think I'd opt for the speedy backchecking dynamo that is the new old version of Raymond at 2.275 on his off wing if need be (Raymond also gets less ice time, less pp time, and has been playing on mix and match lines).

I did like the Talbot aspect of the Briere proposal.

Nabokov is a ufa cap dump. Him and a 2nd isn't worth schroeder, a first round center that we developed and is now showing his size isnt an issue and he can hang in the NHL. Nabby may be a sufficient back up but not at the cost of Schroeder. You give something like a 3rd round pick for him at the deadline, not a first round centre you spent years developing. Just because he's going to have a hard time cracking our roster doesn't mean he's scraps for the taking. Schroeder has some serious talent and can be a legit 2nd center someday. You gotta turn around and flip him for something youthful of equal value, not a goalie that you can just sign next year if you want to.

Nielsen may be awesome but him and a 4th is not worth luongo. Not even close... We won't get the glorious package gillis wants but that is a massive overpayment by us.

Would you wind up being more stoked if somehow Couturier was part of the deal? I'm not sure how it could be swung but the asking price of Briere may be far less than imagined.

Regardless, Briere and Goc would not necessarily be an either/or scenario.

@oldnews.

I think we could get both Goc and Briere.

2nd Rounder + Sauve for Goc

Then Luongo for Briere, win-win.

Although I can understand your worries, but as theminister said I think he is a bit better defensively than that, and is one of those small guys who seems to be able to rise above the size thing and score clutch goals.

Oh well if he won't waive his NTC willingly, its more just a hope than anything at this point.

Burrows plays great with the Twins. He also sparks other lines when he plays with them. Combined with Bieksa; my favorite guys on the Nucks.

Still a converted LW.

And, in my view (which is opinionated,I expect altering views) Twins/Burrows a near perfect line until we start drawing against big line ups. Or if we have to ask them to take D draws instead of their signature NHL top's offensive zone sheltered starts. Boston and Nashville 2 years ago, LA to a lesser extent last year (perhaps not fair considering Danny's concussion) all have had success shutting down these guys as a primary offensive weapon by loading size match ups. So did Chicago the 2 years before that! The real problem is these guys are highly vulnerable to size mis-matches at 3 x 185 lbs!

117 goals is a fair rebuttle. But so is the fact that this exact match up problem has been part of our demise each of the last 4 play off years! The Twins/Burrows could do bugger all against Weber and Chara. How many times are we going to lose doing the same thing?

I have always wanted to add a big (to solve match up's) winger ala Doan or Iginla to play with the Twins! Even better if they can render the Twins into a two way threat? (admittedly, thats an even bigger ask, Burrows is the best defensively of the trio).

I even offered my blessings to the Hodgson deal if Kassian proved to be that guy this year? No need to discuss the Hodgson side of this one boys; I'm sure more of us would like to see Kass get more shifts with the Twins?

If not,in the meantime, adding a RW of that capacity does a lot for us IMO.

On the Goc/Ribiero front; both could help! And would/should be deployed differently. Goc is more helpful if Kesler never comes back healthy. If he does, Kesler/Lappy gives us two big defensive centre's. Ribiero is both a better offensive option and cap relief next year? I vote we have to bank on Kesler coming back healthy so thats why I vote as I do.

Ballard would have to go back. If they would throw in Leighton or Boucher it could work.

If that was the deal as is plus Ballard we jump at it hopefully.

There would still be the possibility of grabbing a guy like Visnovsky or Streit as well. If Raymond went back

Sedins-Burr

Booth-Kes-Briere

Higgins-Couturier-Hansen

Sestito/Pini-Lappy-Weise

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Tanev

Visnovsky

@oldnews.

I think we could get both Goc and Briere.

2nd Rounder + Sauve for Goc

Then Luongo for Briere, win-win.

Although I can understand your worries, but as theminister said I think he is a bit better defensively than that, and is one of those small guys who seems to be able to rise above the size thing and score clutch goals.

Oh well if he won't waive his NTC willingly, its more just a hope than anything at this point.

Archived