The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

if Washington was dumping Green I'd think about that too but I think the expiring contract is the most appealing.

What makes a Streit or Vis deal look so good is their International big game experience. These are worldly guys, adults, professional hockey players. I think we need another one of those guys. On those factors alone, Streit is the best option.

Unfortunately, with the cap hit situation I think you need to move a winger. Raymond, as improved as he has been, is still a UFA at seasons end that could be interesting as an option for a team like the Isles looking for mid range skill. Higgins is in the same position but fits a different need that we don't have excess of. If one of them needs to go to improve the backend it's better it's Raymond.

Connauton (I like him but he's buried behind Hammer, Edler and Garrison) and a conditional pick (4th, 2nd if he re-signs) for Streit? Probably not enough even to rent this guy huh? Hmmm. Spending the prospects....

Connauton, Sestito, a zamboni and a 4th?

With Briere, Kassian gets pushed to the 4th line - and I'd probably prefer Pinizzotto over Weise...

We can shop for a bit more depth at the deadline...

Sedins Burrows

Booth Kesler Briere

Higgins Couturier Hansen

Pinizzotto Lapierre Kassian

Hamhius/Bieksa

Edler/Streit

Garrison/Tanev

He doesn't want to go but I'd wager that if he was told he was an amnesty candidate and that his future wasn't in Philly anyway he'd have to consider it. He could chose to play out the year there but if Holmgren puts the writing on the wall it could change things very quickly.

Don't under estimate the cap issue Philly will have next year. They are likely to be using one or both buyouts. There's never any telling what Holmgren has planned.

Losing Connauton isn't an organizational breaker. Remember, though we proposed moving Schroeder too, we got Couturier back. Also we'd still have our top 5 D signed.

If we want to improve our system, it's going to take some time. Fortunately, it's still a veteran laden line-up that will buy you a year or two to let Gaunce, Jensen and Corrado move up the depth chart. We should spend some more resources looking for unsigned guys like Tanev. We might as well hope for finding some diamonds in the rough if we don't have grade A prospect depth.

Remember, in all these series of deals we were proposing, we are basically keeping all of our picks this year.

I don't see Connauton as having a great opportunity here anyhow - he's had a hickup year - who knows if he'll pan out, but it'll be tough for him to crack the roster in Vancouver.

I also think that when the cap drops to 64 next year, it's also likely that Jensen could be ready to step up - he's been outstanding in the SEL - top 10 in goals and just turned 20... no need to rush him, he's looked slightly beyond his years...

Lack may allow us to shed the veteran backup.

Those two guys and Corrado really keep our A prospects intact, and the younger guys still coming. If Couturier were added, it's almost only fair to set Schroeder free - and the Flyers wouldn't have much prospect depth breathing down his back.

The other thing is that if can keep our top two or three picks this year we will get an infusion to the AHL in two years. That's just enough time to evaluate a few college players and overagers who slipped through the cracks. Heck, Myles Bell is still floating out there and the AVs haven't offered Troy Rutkowski a contract. We could takes some chances.

I'm sure most people reading our conversation think we're nuts but we just agreed on a way to possibly salvage the season.

1) Lou, Schroeder, Ballard for Briere, Couturier, Boucher/Leighton, 4th

2) Raymond, Connauton, 4th for Streit

3) Sauve, 3rd for Goc

Sedins-Burr

Booth-Kesler-Briere

Higgins-Couturier-Hansen

Lappy-Goc-Kassian

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Streit

Garrison-Tanev

Schneider

Boucher/ Leighton

/ If only it were that easy, eh? :lol:

// Or easily swap out Goc for Steckel at a cheaper price.

/// Oh, yeah and fire at least Newell Brown. Possibly AV.

That lineup looks deadly.

And I don't think we're fleecing anyone there... giving up reasonable value and fits imo.

Might even still make sense if it were Ballard to the Isles and Raymond to the Flyers - the Flyers need the cap space and are lopsided to the RW side, while the Isles need to replace the veteran blueliner and need to take on cap - and Raymond could show the Flyers what backchecking is... :ph34r:

That lineup looks deadly.

And I don't think we're fleecing anyone there... giving up reasonable value and fits imo.

Might even still make sense if it were Ballard to the Isles and Raymond to the Flyers - the Flyers need the cap space and are lopsided to the RW side, while the Isles need to replace the veteran blueliner and need to take on cap - and Raymond could show the Flyers what backchecking is... :ph34r:

Archived