The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sharks' Ryane Clowe suspended pending hearing with NHL

-DLC-

Did anyone else catch this?....I mean, he did leave the bench so it'll likely be a factor but was he p/o'd. We all yell that our team doesn't jump in to the defense of teammates but this is what happens....the wrong team comes up with the short end of the stick in these situations.

It was another incident involving a Blackhawk....the game was winding down in the final seconds when Shaw hit Pavelski into the boards from behind near the bench (doesn't he have a history/previous suspension already?). It was totally uncalled for and reckless...he did get a boarding penalty, but he was lucky it didn't result in injury. I think his actions should be reviewed as well (I'll try to find a video).

Clowe came off the bench to go at Shaw, who, in Blackhawk fashion, didn't pay the piper. The refs made sure of it.

San Jose Sharks forward Ryane Clowe was suspended Saturday by the National Hockey League pending a supplemental disciplinary hearing on Monday.

The incident in question occurred during the Sharks' 2-1 loss to the Chicago Blackhawks on Friday night. Clowe has been given the opportunity to have an in-person hearing at the league's office, which means his suspension can exceed five games, in concordance with the collective bargaining agreement.

At 19:51 of the third period, Clowe left his team's bench to start an altercation and was handed a roughing penalty along with a game misconduct for the infraction.

If the NHL determines the 30-year-old left the bench illegally he'll be handed an automatic 10-game ban without pay, while the team will be fined $10,000 US.

According to rule 70.2, he could still be subject to supplemental discipline for instigating an altercation, even if the league deems his departure from the bench legal.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2013/02/23/sp-nhl-san-jose-sharks-ryane-clowe-suspended.html

I wish the NHL would let "altercations" in hockey serve the purpose for which they were intended.

What's the point of having fighting in Hockey if every fight that actually serves a purpose is met with a penelty or susspension?

Get rid of the instigaor and start giving the participants of "staged" fights delay of game penelties.

I understand why they want to stop bench clearing brawls, but that boarding was unnecessary. Shouldn't there be something for nasty penalties near the end of the game? If it's not ok to start a fight in the last 5 minutes, why is it ok to board in the last 10 seconds? All the risk is on the person geting hit.

Shaw ran the Coyotes goalie last year in the playoffs and now this, what a joke, i guess this year Chicago gets the Boston Bruins treatment.

Blackhawks fans screaming murder about Hansen ? this was 10x worse, Clowe the man if he came off the bench so be it. Shaw deserved a beating.

I would love to see Clowe-Kesler-Kassian

Archived