The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Creative and Crazy Idea for Realignment

westvandude

Just wanted to run this idea by your guys here to see what people's reactions are. The main problem with the new realignment (which I like quite a bit more than the current one) is the playoff system and the unfair advantage of West teams.

What do you guys think about this idea:

- Top 3 teams from each division make it to the playoffs

- The last 4 spots are chosen from the highest point teams ACROSS the nhl (so could be all Eastern or all Western teams); this makes the uneven conferences fair for playoffs

- To fix the issue of a team that earned top spot having to travel across the continent for their first series: we instead LET THEM CHOSE their opponent that they want to play out of all the bottom 8 qualified teams

- Top teams in the divisions choose first (in order of highest points), then top 2nd teams choose; then top 3rd teams choose; then top 4th teams

This makes for such an interesting drama which I'm sure the entertainment industry would love (which is the main focus in North American sports... drama and TV ratings). Imagine a draft like 2 hour session where the GMs from each team are sitting, with GMs going up the podium to choose their opponents.

And so much more drama in the media discussions before and after the draft of who which team should choose!

Also gives more advantage to the teams that worked hard all season to earn top spots.

I haven't thought this one out too much, so hoping you guys can find the holes in it and and we can discuss!

Wow not even a discussion! just plain no?! This is obviously an abstract idea... I personally LOVE discussing abstract ideas, but I guess most of you are traditionalists who love to keep everything the same and kill any discussion of anything even remotely new that could potentially improve the system.

So, so far I've gotten:

- "You lost me at the choosing bit." -> What's wrong with choosing? It provides excitement and entertainment, and it give an advantage to being a higher seed (looking at the last 5 years, the home teams have won almost 50% of the playoff games, so don't tell me about home ice advantage!)

- "no. period." " :picard:" "next." -> great contribution guys! why even bother posting?

- "i hate reality tv" -> the only comment that provides a little color on why they don't like it. So do you not like the draft show either? because it would be exactly the same type of show as that, or the seeding shows for the FIFA World Cup where teams are put into their groups. It's exciting to watch.

- "westvandude End thread." -> really? based on where someone lives, you can decide if they can speak or not?

Common guys, discuss with REASONS not just useless one liners.

2nd and 3rd play best of 5, winner plays 1st in best of 7.

Draw straws for the final 4. Then Cup finals. Seed on in conference results until a conference winner is found, then seed for home ice for the series between conference winners based on how they did against the other conferences (Conf A winner plays Conf B winner, seeding based on season results vs Confs C and D)...

Just wanted to run this idea by your guys here to see what people's reactions are. The main problem with the new realignment (which I like quite a bit more than the current one) is the playoff system and the unfair advantage of West teams.

What do you guys think about this idea:

- Top 3 teams from each division make it to the playoffs

- The last 4 spots are chosen from the highest point teams ACROSS the nhl (so could be all Eastern or all Western teams); this makes the uneven conferences fair for playoffs

- To fix the issue of a team that earned top spot having to travel across the continent for their first series: we instead LET THEM CHOSE their opponent that they want to play out of all the bottom 8 qualified teams

- Top teams in the divisions choose first (in order of highest points), then top 2nd teams choose; then top 3rd teams choose; then top 4th teams

This makes for such an interesting drama which I'm sure the entertainment industry would love (which is the main focus in North American sports... drama and TV ratings). Imagine a draft like 2 hour session where the GMs from each team are sitting, with GMs going up the podium to choose their opponents.

And so much more drama in the media discussions before and after the draft of who which team should choose!

Also gives more advantage to the teams that worked hard all season to earn top spots.

I haven't thought this one out too much, so hoping you guys can find the holes in it and and we can discuss!

In theory I like it quite a bit especially for something different. I don't think it would pan out and I think it would be a joke to try for one season. However you get points for creativity and an original NHL concept.

bettman is supposed to be an accountant. none of his plans have any sense of accountability. divisions that dont add up and point sysyems that make you think a child thought it up.

some games are 2 points, some are three.

east has more teams than the west.

just defies lodgic.

Switch Winnipeg and Nashville.

Seriously, thats all that needs to be done. Nashville should be in the southeast, Winnipeg should be in the Central. Aside from that the system works perfectly as it is. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Archived