Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Signing] Avalanche match O'Reilly offer sheet

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#31 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:51 AM

Everyone is forgetting that they could also take him to salary arbitration after the 2 years are up, if his performance doesn't come close to justifying the tariff.

I believe a player has to be qualified before he can be taken to arbitration. If the player is not qualified, and if the two sides don't negotiate a contract on their own, then the player walks as a UFA.

So the Avs better hope they can repair their relationship with ROR.
Otherwise they will likely be forced to give him a one-year, 6.5M qualifying offer (which ROR would likely sign, as otherwise he goes to an arbitrator who will likely award him less) or let him walk.

#32 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:04 AM

elvis/qwijibo - that's a really interesting point that I hadn't considered (sorry, I wasn't following the other O'Reilly stuff too closely). But was that the intended timing of the offer sheet, to bypass a regular season trade deadline?

#33 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:15 AM

elvis/qwijibo - that's a really interesting point that I hadn't considered (sorry, I wasn't following the other O'Reilly stuff too closely). But was that the intended timing of the offer sheet, to bypass a regular season trade deadline?

I doubt any of us here can speak to Feaster's subjective intentions, but it's likely that is the case. It seems the Flames did their best to structure the offer in a way that made it difficult for the Avs to match, without making it a long-term, lucrative deal.

#34 Yotes

Yotes

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:55 AM

what i dont get is the avalanche didnt want to give oreilly a reasonable contract they wanted him to take a cheap deal like duchene did.

yet this is the same team that had no problem giving david Jones a 4 year 16million dollar deal...

O'reilly is far more valuable and has more upside than Jones. Definitely think Colorado Management made a mistake with the way they handled things

#35 rb4u

rb4u

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:53 AM

I believe a player has to be qualified before he can be taken to arbitration. If the player is not qualified, and if the two sides don't negotiate a contract on their own, then the player walks as a UFA.

So the Avs better hope they can repair their relationship with ROR.
Otherwise they will likely be forced to give him a one-year, 6.5M qualifying offer (which ROR would likely sign, as otherwise he goes to an arbitrator who will likely award him less) or let him walk.

http://stats.nhlnumb...7-o-reilly-ryan

Salary arbitration
Some restricted free agents are eligible for salary arbitration, if the following conditions are met
For players signing their entry-level contract at age 18 or 19 (but who will not turn 20 in the same calendar year that the entry-level contract was signed), a season of professional experience is at least 10 NHL games played, and at least four such seasons must be accrued for arbitration eligibility.
For players signing their entry-level contract at age 20 (or who will turn 20 in the same year that the entry-level contract is signed), a season of professional experience is at least 10 professional (non-collegiate) games played, and at least four such seasons must be accrued for arbitration eligibility.
For players signing their entry-level contract at age 21 or older, arbitration eligibility comes at the expiration of a player's first contract.
A team can only take a player to arbitration one time in his career, while a player may elect arbitration as many times as possible, provided that a qualifying offer has been made. After a qualifying offer is made, an eligible player can elect to go through the arbitration process, where the team and the player each make an argument for a certain contract size. An independent arbiter hears the arguments and decides on a fair contract amount. If the player has elected arbitration, and the award is more than $3,500,000 (from 2005-2012, the threshold was $1,042,173), a team has 48 hours to "walk away" from the arbitration award, making the player an unrestricted free agent. If the team has elected arbitration, the arbitrator's award is binding regardless of the amount.
If a restricted free agent does not sign with an NHL club by December 1 of that year, that player is declared ineligible to play in the NHL until the following season.

http://en.wikipedia....ary_arbitration

#36 BertuzziJr 2.0

BertuzziJr 2.0

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

http://www.sportsnet...h_ryan_oreilly/

Haha wow, in summary O'reilly would have had to clear waivers first before coming to Calgary. Essentially they would have traded a 1st and a 3rd while someone picks him up. Feaster may lose his job after this debacle

#37 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,509 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

I'm sure it was at least an extra roadblock designed to make the Avs consider whether or not they wanted to match, or at least rush the decision rather than weigh their options for the full 7 days. The Flames were taking the same risk as well, as if the Avs decided they didn't want to match but waited the whole 7 days to make that decision, then Calgary would be similarly stuck if they wanted to move him at next year's deadline.

Having said that, 2014 is Sochi, and if the NHL'ers participate it's likely the deadline is a little later like it was in 2010 (Mar 3) so we'll have to see what the date is for if this actually affects the Avs or not for their options after a calendar year has passed.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#38 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,378 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

Haha wow, in summary O'reilly would have had to clear waivers first before coming to Calgary. Essentially they would have traded a 1st and a 3rd while someone picks him up. Feaster may lose his job after this debacle

Oh man I so wish the Avs didn't match... this would have been a laugh riot to watch.
Posted Image

#39 woot

woot

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

Wow, epic fail.

#40 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • 25,087 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

I wished the Avs didn't match and watch o'reilly get claimed by the nucks . Most epic fail by the flames in NHL history.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#41 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,378 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

I wished the Avs didn't match and watch o'reilly get claimed by the nucks . Most epic fail by the flames in NHL history.

0 Chance he would have made it to the Canucks claim... So many other teams would have put in claims

Edited by Aladeen, 01 March 2013 - 02:35 PM.

Posted Image

#42 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • 25,087 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

Imagine if the flames ended last place in the nhl, they would lose McKinnon or jones plus a third and o'reilly for nothing.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#43 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

0 Chance he would have made it to the Canucks claim... So many other teams would have put in claims

Canucks mighta had first dibs if Avs walked away right after Patti was claimed actually

#44 ForsbergTheGreat

ForsbergTheGreat

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

Colorado should have let him walk just to screw the flames over. That would have been good. This day gets better and better. Fan 960 in Calgary yesterday acted like the flames just changed their franchise around, no way Colorado would match it and the flames would be contending for this year and years to come. Today the mood has completely changed. I wish Colorado didn't match and have the flames end up losing a top 5 pick.

#45 Kyosama

Kyosama

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

Canucks mighta had first dibs if Avs walked away right after Patti was claimed actually

Pretty sure that's not how it works. The only player Vancouver gets first dibs on is Volpatti should Washington put him back on waivers. For every other player it still goes by standings.

#46 Kyosama

Kyosama

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

Colorado should have let him walk just to screw the flames over. That would have been good. This day gets better and better. Fan 960 in Calgary yesterday acted like the flames just changed their franchise around, no way Colorado would match it and the flames would be contending for this year and years to come. Today the mood has completely changed. I wish Colorado didn't match and have the flames end up losing a top 5 pick.

I can't imagine the Avs knew that he would have to go through waivers. If they knew I imagine they would have waited the full week to decide, tank that week and would have hoped to get below Columbus to have first dibs. At the deadline to match, if they're not last in the league, they match it. If they are, free 1st and 3rd while retaining O'Reilly.

EDIT: Even if they're 2nd last I think they would chance it. Odds are he doesn't get by Columbus, but even then I don't think they would have that much of a problem with it. They get a 1st and a 3rd for somebody who isn't going to help a division rival.

Edited by Kyosama, 01 March 2013 - 03:09 PM.

#47 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,028 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

The Flames, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#48 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,378 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

Reporter: Honestly what are the chances O'Reilly would have been pick up on waivers anyways Jay?

Posted Image

Feaster: I once caught a fish this big!!
Posted Image

#49 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

Flames are glad Av's matched LOL

naslundsig5.gif14326903821.giftowel.gif
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#50 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

How epic wou

I can't imagine the Avs knew that he would have to go through waivers. If they knew I imagine they would have waited the full week to decide, tank that week and would have hoped to get below Columbus to have first dibs. At the deadline to match, if they're not last in the league, they match it. If they are, free 1st and 3rd while retaining O'Reilly.

EDIT: Even if they're 2nd last I think they would chance it. Odds are he doesn't get by Columbus, but even then I don't think they would have that much of a problem with it. They get a 1st and a 3rd for somebody who isn't going to help a division rival.

Those picks would have likely been top-5 of their respective rounds to boot.

How epic would that have been?! Too bad...

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#51 Kyosama

Kyosama

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

How epic wou

Those picks would have likely been top-5 of their respective rounds to boot.

How epic would that have been?! Too bad...

I don't think the Flames are that bad, but the picks would definitely be higher than they would be if the Flames had got O'Reilly. I think that was the Avs logic in matching; O'Reilly would make the pick less valuable because he would lead them to better stats, and Calgary is a divisional rival. If it were Columbus who gave him the offer sheet, or a team equally as bad as Calgary in the East, I don't think they match it. Not in this draft.

Edited by Kyosama, 01 March 2013 - 03:28 PM.

#52 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,509 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

No, they wouldn't have. It doesn't matter if we'd just had a player claimed off waivers, it doesn't change the order for teams who would get a chance to claim him.

#53 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

I don't think the Flames are that bad, but the picks would definitely be higher than they would be if the Flames had got O'Reilly. I think that was the Avs logic in matching; O'Reilly would make the pick less valuable because he would lead them to better stats, and Calgary is a divisional rival. If it were Columbus who gave him the offer sheet, or a team equally as bad as Calgary in the East, I don't think they match it. Not in this draft.

My point was how glorious would it have been had the Flames lost both the high picks and O'Reilly to Colorado (had they been in a position to claim him).

To Colorado: Calgary 2013 1st, Calgary 2013 3rd & Ryan O'Reilly

To Calgary: A fired Jay Feaster and $10m worth of egg on face.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#54 Kyosama

Kyosama

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

No, they wouldn't have. It doesn't matter if we'd just had a player claimed off waivers, it doesn't change the order for teams who would get a chance to claim him.

Unless the person put on waivers is the one you lost to waivers. In which case you have first dibs.

#55 Kyosama

Kyosama

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

My point was how glorious would it have been had the Flames lost both the high picks and O'Reilly to Colorado (had they been in a position to claim him).

To Colorado: Calgary 2013 1st, Calgary 2013 3rd & Ryan O'Reilly

To Calgary: A fired Jay Feaster and $10m worth of egg on face.

Yeah it wouldn't have been pretty. I would have genuinely felt bad, and still feel bad, for Feaster in this situation. Such an easy thing to overlook and there was no mention of it by anyone prior to the offer sheet.

#56 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

Lmao Feaster looks like a tool now.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#57 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,509 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

Unless the person put on waivers is the one you lost to waivers. In which case you have first dibs.

Sure, but we were talking specifically about if O'Reilly went on waivers.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.