145 replies to this topic

#121 Johnny Shotgun

Johnny Shotgun

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

Sorry thought the thread was titled "Canucks are mental ". Just a minute just maybe.....
No one escapes my blast!

#122 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:53 AM

If I am upset with customer service, I don't "throw a hissy fit". I calmly lodge a complaint. Most businesses will make it right because they actually care about their customers. I rarely hear excuses like "we were missing our best people" or "we gave it our best". The usually acknowledge the fault, address it, and move on to being better at what they do. If what you are suggesting is the canucks should care about their fans less than, say, Tim hortons cares about its customers, then I disagree.

The world that you live in, is it nice there?

#123 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:38 AM

For me, I reckon that the Canucks are just taking a little something off it, playing hard enough and well enough to stay at the top of the division but not so much that we will be getting real tired. The important things are 1. getting in the playoffs, 2. having enough in the tank once you get there to make some noise, and not having the whole roster out with the groin pull. You wouldn't know it from the way people talk around here but there no style points and no bonuses for playing pretty. Just get the division, is all we need.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#124 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,382 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:01 AM

For me, I reckon that the Canucks are just taking a little something off it, playing hard enough and well enough to stay at the top of the division but not so much that we will be getting real tired. The important things are 1. getting in the playoffs, 2. having enough in the tank once you get there to make some noise, and not having the whole roster out with the groin pull. You wouldn't know it from the way people talk around here but there no style points and no bonuses for playing pretty. Just get the division, is all we need.

Didn't many people suggest that they did the same thing down the stretch last year to be ready to flip the switch come playoff time? That did not work out so well just like ti won't this year either if that is what they are doing (which I doubt anyway).
If they don't pick up their compete level in a hurry they will not win the division.

#125 hockeywoot

hockeywoot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:01 AM

The fanbase of the team, your mentality is a problem.
Some of you are ridiculous. No wonder Canuck fans are so hated.
I love this team.
The only reason I'd ever stop supporting them, is to separate myself from you lot.

You all assume we could just MAKE A TRADE, and get some bonafide scorer just like that.
Newsflash: Most teams around the league would like to add a top-6 forward to their lineup.

If it were so easy to acquire such a player (or a #1D), these trades would be happening on a weekly basis.

Edited by hockeywoot, 10 March 2013 - 05:06 AM.

#126 Forsy

Forsy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

Who is going to hold the team accountable if not the fans?

The fans have real jobs to do, and most are looking for entertainment and enjoyment, not negative reinforcement in a vain attempt to improve. They won't spend their time making the team accountable. Look at the terrible teams in the southeast - empty seats, yet the team still plays like bs. You're dreaming if you think fan effort is going to do something. The adults in the team have to rid themselves of the loser mentality - no one else will do it for them.

#127 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

Nobody listen to this guy, he's got bandwagon written all over him! lol

Sure changes need to be made, but to say we've lost our drive is to say that you've lost hope. Let the team find it's own resolve and put it all on the ice- then we'll see who has drive! Go start a "Fire AV" post, cool off and come back when you talk some sense. Don't panic, jump off a bridge and expect us all to follow you. :rolleyes:

Edited by Kesler's Nose, 10 March 2013 - 10:21 AM.

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#128 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

The fans have real jobs to do, and most are looking for entertainment and enjoyment, not negative reinforcement in a vain attempt to improve. They won't spend their time making the team accountable. Look at the terrible teams in the southeast - empty seats, yet the team still plays like bs. You're dreaming if you think fan effort is going to do something. The adults in the team have to rid themselves of the loser mentality - no one else will do it for them.

Thank you for a little dose of reality. Some fans with particularly empty lives seem to think that because they root for a team, everyone on the team should do exactly what they want.

#129 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#130 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

The world that you live in, is it nice there?

lol. I agree with your question. In reality the Canucks don't care. The sands are full for ever and they're selling merchandise as fast as they can stock the shelves.

#131 TheGreatWhiteNorth

TheGreatWhiteNorth

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

I would say that we should fire AV and hire Lindy Ruff, but I doubt there will be any changes there anytime soon.

#132 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

Long time fan, first time poster. I've watched every game, and this is how i see things so far this year.....

Over the last few years, we have always taken the first month to get into things. This year, it was really only our first game that was really rough. We were looking good early....and then for some reason the teams management started to mess around with a good thing.

The first major change was to take Kassian off of the first line with the Sedins. The reasoning was that the Sedins were not producing the way they did with Burrows. I asked myself....so what?!? The line was producing offensive pressure and points game in and game out....and Kassian did bring a presence to the ice when the Sedins were out there in a way Burrows can't. It also was a HUGE confidence boost for the kid, and you could see it in his play. You could also see an almost immediate drop in his play when he was bumped down. Bad move management.

The next change was, when Kesler came back, breaking up the Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen line. This line was our most consistent line up until that point. Raymond was having a comeback year, and you could see Schroeder was on the verge of being a regular producer. Kesler comes back, and lines get jumbled...all the chemistry is lost, and oh look, we started losing games. Bad move management.

The next change was to break up Tanev and Ballard. Up until that point, they had been our best defensive pair. Edler wasn't living up to expectations, Garrison wasn't quite hitting the net the way he needed to, Hamhuis didn't look at strong and confident like he normally did, and Bieksa was plauged with illness and injury. So you have one solid pair of defence....and you break them up? And oh look, as soon as that happened, we started to REALLY play poorly in our own end. Several games were handed to the other team based on poor defensive play. Bad move management.

The final big change was a lack of change, more just a continual indecision. Make a concrete choice on what is happening with Luongo! Honestly at this point it is clear that he is here to stay for the season.....i would be very surprised if he wasn't - but Gillis kept up the message of 'we don't give players away, but if a deal comes we will consider it'. Well what does that do? It puts HUGE pressure on Lou because he is in limbo. Is he staying? Is he going? I think it is clear he would prefer to stay, but if he has to go he is willing to work with us. At any rate, it is a distraction from the game.

Secondary to that, you have Schneider who came into the season thinking he was the man - but now is presented by a situation where is maybe isn't the man. The pressure of being the #1 for the first time is exemplified by the constant doubt and worry of being pushed down to #2 spot again if Lou starts to up his game (which, for the first 10 games he played, he did).

Bad move management.

Right now we are not playing to our strengths. Our biggest issue i think is with our offensive and defensive pairings.

Line #1 should be Sedin, Sedin, Kassian. It was producing points, it provided a physical protection for the Sedins, and it was allowing Kassian to develop into a great player - not just a tough guy. Having him thrown on the 4th line is just turning him into a tough guy, a one dimensional player who is easily replaced. A complete waste of Cody Hodgson.

Line #2 and Line #3 are both interchangeable in terms of ice time and which is classified as #2 or #3. You have Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen and then you have Booth - Kesler - Higgins. The latter line PROVED itself to be a contender last year. You have speed, you have strength, you have grit and you have scoring. The former listed line is new to this year, and as described above, had HUGE chemistry. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

These pairings give confidence to Booth and Kesler, both coming off injury. They give confidence to Raymond, who is having an outsanding bounce back year, and they also help further develop another young talent in Schroeder. Just like Kassian, Schroeder isn't developing at all on the 4th line. He doesn't even fit the physical bill like Kassian does there. He is a clear cut case of 'one of these things is not like the other'. Schroeder's career is going to die on the 4th line - putting him on the PP is not enough to develop his offensive skills the way they should.

The 4th line is a toss up. None of these guys are really performing for us. You have Weiss - Lapierre and now Sestito. Those guys all belong on the 4th line. They are made for it, they can do thier jobs there, it just makes sense.

Now, where - might you ask - is Burrows? I love Burrows, i think he should be on the team, and i would be disappointed if we traded him. Where does he fit in though? He could slide into the #2 or #3 line, replacing either Booth or Schroeder - honestly i'd prefer to have him replace Schroeder...i think his style of play would line up with Raymond and Hansen quite well - neither of them have that 'crash the net and be a pain in the D's butt' skill like he does.

Until Kesler comes back it isn't a problem - stick him with Booth and Higgins. When Kesler comes back...then it's something that needs sorting out.

As for our Defence pairings - get Tanev and Ballard back together. They work. Just do it. As for the other four - Bieksa and Hamhuis have proven themselves to be a solid pair. They both have had some hurdles this year, but they aren't going to build that chemistry back unless they are back together. That leaves Edler and Garrison - which SHOULD be a solid combination. Again, Edler isn't going to get better on his off-wing if he doesn't play it!

It just feels like if something doesn't work within 2-3 games, management gives up. Edler can't adjust, move him to another pairing. Garrison can't hit the net as often as he needs to, move him to another pairing. Wrong. Give these guys a chance to adjust - the lockout was a serious impact on everyone, stick with it and i think the results will come.

As for the goalies - they are who they are. I think we benefit in keeping both of them, but come out and say you are going to do that! Take that unknown decision off both of their shoulders. Let them focus on their games, which clearly have been sliding as of late.

Phew, there we go, my 1st extensive 2 cents post on the Canucks forums. Cherry = popped!

I agree on your assessment
Someone needs to tell vigneault that Chemistry is a good thing.

Sedin-Sedin -Kassian
Booth-kesler - burrows
Raymond -Schroeder Hansen
Higgins-lapierre-sestito
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#133 crazyforhockey

crazyforhockey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

when you can you improve your club......but there a re significant pts missed.

when you take into account your best scoring forward (daniel missed three key games vs LA,,,daniel came back helpped win a game and helped a the team get 1-0 lead into the third.... before their tie and their eventual OT winner.......other than that it would have been a tough hard fought series dow nto gmae 7 if daniel was healthy to start.....

let alone Bos was realitvily healthy (other than Horton out in game one

Van Hamhuis(number one dman) Kesler playing on one leg....edler (broken fingers????)samulesson erhoff playing very hurt etc

easily a one game diffrence maker....and thats why you need quality depth to go all the way.

bottom line is we still need another quality goal scorer to either slot in or play full time to increae the deppth of the team....probably another third line center to bolster depth too....

face it booth and kesler have missed nearly thte entire season so far....our defence is just starting to eliminate the number of costly mistakes.........and we still have a ways to go...to improve thsi team.

if our pp was crnking it would just mask the problems or injuries....ansdd we would have a few more pts wins etc

#134 CanadianRugby

CanadianRugby

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

Weren't Samuelson, Hodgson and Erhoff better than Booth, Kassian and Garrison? Our depth, with Kesler out.. has been tested and shown they aren't very good. Sedins and goaltending are doing their thing, it's everyone else. That includes the coach, especially the PP coach.

There is no easy way to right this ship.

#135 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

on fire with delusion if she thinks that things will fall into place at playoff time for this team.

The LA Kings say hello.

#136 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,382 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

POPULAR

The LA Kings say hello.

So does their hiring of a coach midway through the season who held all 23 players accountable and the big trade for a true sniper before the deadline.....

#137 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,119 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

Edited by theminister, 10 March 2013 - 09:38 PM.

small.pngNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEsmall.png

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#138 snucks

snucks

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

It seems like ever since the Canucks lost to Boston in the SCF they have been a different team. Even last year when they were Presidents trophy winners, they rarely impressed and kind of just coasted through the season into the playoffs. We all know how that turned out...

I truly think that the stanley cup final messed with their heads. I'm talking about Bieksa, Burrows, the Sedins, Kesler, Edler, Hamhuis and most of all AV. We all hoped that after they lost in the final that they would bounce back even better then before, but that idea is quickly fading. If anything, the drive for hockey vanished that fateful day, and they realized that there are better and more important things than hockey, like wives, kids, vacation houses, private yachts, etc. And then of course we have Jesus boy David Booth sitting in the corner preaching that hockey is just a small part of his life and that the fans don't understand, and oh yeah how much he loves God and Jesus.

That brings me to AV. You can totally see that AV has lost the room. He made all of his core players way too comfortable with their jobs and status on the team. The entire core got complacent and since getting huge contracts and wives and kids they have lost their emotions that made them such an exciting team in the years leading up to 2012. AV needs to go so a new coach can come in and actually threaten some jobs that AV wouldn't have the guts to do. Im talking about you Edler.

AV made em do push-ups in practice. That outtta do it

#139 CupisAll

CupisAll

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

AV made em do push-ups in practice. That outtta do it

pure genius. like sticking with "the process" when it hasn't worked since game 2 of the SCF

#140 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:42 PM

Insanity, you should check out what that word means.

Titanic. You should look that up in the encyclopdia.

#141 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

Im not as pessimistic as a lot of folks on here......The team is a lot better than their record,but there has to be a shakeup as far as players.I'm talking trading about three players right off of the roster....It's too comfortable..

#142 Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

Disagree, mentality is not the problem with this team, nor is personnel this team has all the pieces to be great they just need to play to their strengths. The game has changed and It benefits defensive minded teams especially in the playoffs as we all have witnessed the past 2 years. The Canucks have 2 star caliber goalies, lots of depth on D and excellent 2 way forwards, their problem is that they try and play like they're an offensive juggernaut instead of focusing on a more defensive minded game like the 06-07 team. The D especially gets burned a lot on bad pinches most notably when trailing, the number of odd man rushes our goalies have bailed us out on is incredible. This "system" is broken, it needs change, if it means going back to trap hockey then so be it.

#143 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,796 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:35 PM

There's absolutely no urgency or care in this team to win games right now.

I have a feeling that will change come playoff time. We've seen the Canucks can dominate games and play well when it counts to them, and when they really want to. A good example? Look at our season series against Chicago. So far in two games we're 1-0-1 against a team that has throttled the entire league, yet we have 3 out of a possible 4 points against them so far. That included some clutch performances by a few players.

The Canucks know how to lift their game when they have to, and I'm sure they'll do so once Game 1 comes around.

Get used to a new fact - this team is NOT going to make the playoffs - not as it is. The lack of a Luongo trade early, when he was still on his game is why - and ownership would have had to cough up cash to get rid of that albatross of a contract. Think MG can ask them to do that after asking them to okay it in the first place? And lets face it, there are a lot of guys not worth the money now either - in fact, make a list of the guys who are - it would be an effing short one.

#144 dangler696969

dangler696969

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:37 AM

Thanks for all the +1's everyone that did. Its a topic worthy of discussion as tonight is another example. If they can't get their heads in to play a for a division lead then I don't know what will. They need to ramp it up before the playoffs start or else they are toast. See 2011-2012 canucks team.

#145 Day one

Day one

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

Could see that AV was losing the room last year already. He was a great coach, but his bag of tricks is empty, every team in the league knows how to play against them, and his time has come to an end. All that's left now is to see how much further this goes before management realizes they have to make the move. I hope we don't have to wait to the point where too many players don't want to be here.

I love and support this team and have ever since their first game in the NHL. But like it or not, at the mid-point of the season, when you add the OT losses and RT losses together, they're playing sub-500 hockey. Yes they have better than sub-500 in the points column, but they're also 1 point away from being on the outside of the playoffs looking in. No matter how you look at it, that's a concern.

Edited by Day one, 11 March 2013 - 07:19 PM.

#146 smackyo23

smackyo23

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

And the team mentality starts with the coaching staff does it not? The power play has been garbage since the San Jose playoff series and their goal production with talent on this team is laughable. Can we just fire AV already and win before our window is completely shut.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.