The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You're wrong, The Canucks are better than ever

Merci

ummm......let's see.....basically that all the stars have to align perfectly for the Canucks to have the same chance as a quarter of the league to win the cup according to this writer.......yes, clearly the Canucks are much better this season than they ever have been.

I never interpreted that at all. He's saying that to date, the Canucks have posted the 3rd best even strength puck possession numbers. They did it without Kesler and Booth - who are 2 of their best puck possession players. When Kesler returns, if he can be even 75% of what he used to be, they have as good a chance as 5/6 other clubs to win Stanley.

This guys not a psychic, he's not written an article detailing who will win the Cup. No one knows that. He's saying strong puck possession numbers and goaltending have strongly correlated to winning hockey games on a consistent basis over a long period of time. We've seen those type of teams win the Cup. That's what he's saying.

I'd have to agree. I posted this in a different thread, but the numbers support this Canucks team being better than previous years - even without Kesler/Booth. Here's the article from Canucks Army detailing this teams underlying statistics: http://canucksarmy.c...e-half-way-mark

It details the Canucks being one of the top 3 puck possession teams in the league. Say what you will about advanced stats, but dominant puck possession teams have won Stanley - LA, Boston and Det in previous yrs. Canucks accomplished this without 2 of their best puck possession players in the lineup - Booth and Kesler. I know everyone's crapping the bed about the horrible PP this yr, but we all know and have witnessed PPs going extinct in the playoffs. They're not a tool for the playoffs, they're a tool for the reg season. You HAVE to be a strong even strength team with good goaltending in this league to be successful. They're not getting the goaltending now, but they will over time given who occupies their crease. They're getting some bad luck and poor efforts right now, they will bounce back - it's inevitable IMO.

Unfortunately the Canucks history says hi.......

All the skill in the world tends to mean nothing in the playoffs without heart.......and unfortunately for this writer ad you I guess as well, that is something that cannot be measured as a stat.....

And no one in their right mind can suggest this team has very much heart at all......

I understand your concern about this team given their current record. I was pretty concerned at one point as well. But I strongly disagree this team doesn't have heart. They've collectively dealt with more adversity than any other NHL team in the last few years - yet they continue to win a lot of games including a run to the SCF with a roster full of injured players.

I would love to hear all the examples of how this team has had it so much worse than any other NHL team the last few years. Come on. That just is not true.

They have played in a cakewalk division and coasted to a playoff spot with home ice advantage. They have not had to fight through anything in the regular season at all. In the playoffs they scraped by Chicago and gave up when things got tough against the Bruins.

Sure they had injuries and such....but that is when true heart shows up......

Yes, that is too much to expect. You're ungrateful for the fact that there even is a Canucks team, let alone a damn good one. Some of us didn't hop on the bandwagon because of a cup run. We watched because we loved the game. If you love it so much, as I'm sure you will claim, why are you so quick to piss on the efforts of men blocking 100mph shots? I haven't seen you post a damn thing until the team had a couple losses, then you're like a fly on pigcrap.

Do you know any pro hockey players? I mean really know them, know how hard they work and how impressive even the crappiest fourth liner is? I do and that's why I watch our team play. Because what they do is pure magic on the ice. But you've got no concept of what it takes to do that, and you see it night after night, so you imagine it's not so hard and that they should just "try harder". Appalling.

Archived