The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Province unveils options for Massey Tunnel replacement

aGENT

Then they will move into denser communities and rely on one another for simple economic reasons.

But they will resist doing that until the bitter, bitter end.

So we should just ignore that eventuality and be forced into rash reactionary policies/planning, rather than proactively plan for it?

So we should just ignore that eventuality and be forced into rash reactionary policies/planning, rather than proactively plan for it?

I have a plan to proactively plan for it that could actually have a hope of being implemented.

I suppose it depends on how you look at things. Personally I would put it under the "do what it takes" column of how to get a toll line around the city core.

If you think talking about land use decisions in a thread about transportation is an inane tangent, well, you're an idiot.

Now I know you're not an idiot, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

This thread is specifically about the George Massey Tunnel and any replacement/improvement to it.

I agree they're are both part of a bigger discussion but you don't build the roof until the foundation and supporting structure are in place...

This thread is specifically about the George Massey Tunnel and any replacement/improvement to it.

I agree they're are both part of a bigger discussion but you don't build the roof until the foundation and supporting structure are in place...

How is land use not part of the foundation?

As we've been saying all along, so long as my ability to get to work is improved, I have no problems paying taxes, tolls etc. How that's implemented doesn't really matter, just make it better with my additional $$$

Wow I am sure the Province of BC cares that you think things shouldn't be tolled, maybe instead of posting and whining about it here you should send them a letter letting them know how you feel.

Edit: Sorry never answered your question... I do drive and no I don't stay within the same City at all times, I actually even use the Massey quite frequently. I don't care about tolls because I realize that it costs money to create and care for the things we take for granted each day. We are very lucky to live where we do and if me paying a toll cuts off 20 minutes from my commute that is 20 minutes I can spend doing what I want. Time with my family etc. and that time adds up and to me a buck or two is easily worth that.

So tell me what are taxes for?

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Could+lights+time/8187746/story.html

And here comes the plan to get rid of the light. So what will the effects of this be with a new (tolled) Massey Bridge and Putello Bridge, making the Alex Fraser bridge the only free route into town.

How the light right now works in practice is to work as a kind of reverse ramp meter http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramp_meter where instead of using the lights to break up platoons of vehicles trying to enter the freeway which slow down the main route, what it does is stop the traffic on the main routes to allow the extremely heavy volumes coming out of Delta heading north gaps for it to get onto the road. And as it happens right now even with the (let's called it throughway meter) in place the entrances north of the light still back up, significantly, and daily.

It's safe to say that with little reason for anyone that actually passes through the light to have a reason to take any other way (especially if it saves you 3 bucks a trip) that people heading up from 99 will only increase, and with no free Putello all the people trying to save money will to queue up for the free bridge will do just that. And where will the queue be?

Right in Delta!

If timed just right, you might just have Delta screaming to put in a toll on the Alex Fraser, with only the one small interchange put in to justify it!

Kaching!

Of course, it will all end up in general coffers because nobody actually sees the big picture or understand political realities.

Maybe they will put in that King George Bline as an alternative to the hwy 91/99 users as a way to try to green it over, but even then I doubt any funding would go for even something like that.

• 5 months later...

CC just announced this will be replaced by a bridge.

Funny, I didn't get to vote on this.

Already with a video...

"We have a feel for how we can finance it," says @christyclarkbc No details revealed. #bcpoli #UBCM2013

Of course it's going to be a bridge. I already said that. Need to get boats up the Fraser. Do you really have to ask how it's going to be financed? Don't worry, it will be profitable with plenty of money going to help feed the healthcare monster (sorry transit). Am I the only person capable of seeing the obvious?

Of course it's going to be a bridge. I already said that. Need to get boats up the Fraser. Do you really have to ask how it's going to be financed? Don't worry, it will be profitable with plenty of money going to help feed the healthcare monster (sorry transit). Am I the only person capable of seeing the obvious?

Depends what the obvious is. You go on and on and on about how there's no money but we keep spending billions of it, so I'm not sure you do see the obvious.

Depends what the obvious is. You go on and on and on about how there's no money but we keep spending billions of it, so I'm not sure you do see the obvious.

Self funding via tolls. In fact it will probably generate large profits. If we had a self funding healthcare and education system we wouldn't have any money problems. Is that no obvious?

My main question is,

When will we taxpayers find our money not being spent pandering to the mass of humanity whining about traffic in the Lower mainlaind, and when will we finally see twin laning on the Malahat, or the Hart Highway or anything up north or back east?

How about that promised bypass for transport and freight vehicles from Vernon that bypasses Kelowna directly for the Coquihalla that they said they were drawing up way back in 2003?

IN fact, how about building us that Hospital so loudly promised in Penticton that went from being a 2 year business plan to now being a 5 year plan and project before even breaking ground?

Piss and moan about the NDP but at least they built things during a non election year. Kinda tired of everything being started in an election year, there's 3 other years to build in and an entire other province that needs attention NOW not 3.4 years from now where the photo ops will win you another bloody election....

I sure hope they upgrade to address the nightmare that is the Steveston Highway entrance heading South. With the God awful development they're plunking right at 5 & Steveston, can't imagine the extra traffic that'll be involved in that area.

When there's an accident, it shuts things down. Recently made the mistake of taking Steveston Highway west from No. 6 Road on my way home from work....accident on the overpass meant we were lined up on that short stretch back to Riverport for over well over an hour without moving. No way out/back, as things also clogged up on 6 Road and alternate routes with people pulling u-turns. I left work in Richmond at 5 and got home (in Richmond) at 7:30.

I'd hate to think if there was an earthquake/tsunami warning and evacuation to higher ground ordered. Would be chaos.

Before we go ahead with the Tunnel replacement, might I suggest this is a good time to figure out where all these highways and roads lead to?

Downtown Vancouver. Meanwhile, the mayor of Vancouver has dumped a proposed streetcar idea, and wants bike lanes not roads. They are even planning on removing the Georgia Viaduct.

So what's the point of having more traffic heading into town, when there is no where to go because all the major roads are clogged up as it stands?

Honestly the only solutions I see, is an integrated rail network, and underground (and hopefully earthquake proof) tunnels having highways and rail under the city. With strategic exit and entry points all over the city. Vancouver planners screwed up big time in the 50's and 60's by not planning ahead.

Then again that's always BC's problem isn't it? We never think ahead. We need a 4 lane road. Government builds a 4 lane road. They don't build a 6 lane road with wide lanes so it can expand to 8 lanes in the future. No....that would cost too much or "gasp" make sense.

Just like the Golden Ears bridge right?

Volumes on the existing Massey tunnel are high enough to support a self funded system. The Golden Ears bridge replaced a ferry and until recently had to compete with a free Port Mann. I would guess that long term the Golden Ears will also begin to generate a net profit.

My main question is,

When will we taxpayers find our money not being spent pandering to the mass of humanity whining about traffic in the Lower mainlaind, and when will we finally see twin laning on the Malahat, or the Hart Highway or anything up north or back east?

How about that promised bypass for transport and freight vehicles from Vernon that bypasses Kelowna directly for the Coquihalla that they said they were drawing up way back in 2003?

IN fact, how about building us that Hospital so loudly promised in Penticton that went from being a 2 year business plan to now being a 5 year plan and project before even breaking ground?

Piss and moan about the NDP but at least they built things during a non election year. Kinda tired of everything being started in an election year, there's 3 other years to build in and an entire other province that needs attention NOW not 3.4 years from now where the photo ops will win you another bloody election....

With half the population of the province in one region it's easy to get the illusion that everything is being built in the lower mainland but really it's less that half. There's so much "rest of the province" it seems like nothing gets done anywhere else but it's simply not the case. All of your examples are (multi) billion dollar ideas that you might see one of in the entire province maybe every 10 to 20 years. On the schedule that included the Coquihalla and then the Island highway as major rest of BC projects the rest of BC is probably due but not in a major way.....

Archived