Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 6 votes

***Updated*** Emotional Roberto Luongo, "My Contract Sucks" - Continues To Wait For Trade

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
384 replies to this topic

#151 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,332 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

...and that would have just gotten us to overtime...

Gillis is rolling the dice here. He's gambling that he'll be able to get at least as much in the summer for Louie as he could have today. If he can pull that off, (and I realize that's a big "if") then it makes sense to keep Luongo around for the rest of this season.

If nothing else, he's an excellent insurance policy in the event that Schneider is injured, or has some struggles with his game. He certainly has more immediate value to the team than Scrivens and a couple of mid-round picks.

I found it interesting, and suprising that MG stated that the contract had absolutely nothing to do with securing a deal. It was the nature of the deals proposed to the team.

He did good in not giving away Lu and focusing on what the team dearly needed, a centerman.

And i do agree, he is rolling the dice, and the off season will be very interesting. Lotsa cap friendly moves-deals will be made.

2sa1qgh.jpg

The Canucks Playoff preparation

#152 thrago

thrago

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

Luongo wanted to be the highest paid goalie? He created the contract and made Gillis sign it?

Are you under the impression that Gillis just makes the contracts up and the players just blindly sign them? Really you don't think that the player and his agent have just as much say in the contract? Actually they have much more say in it because its the players services there after.

#153 KraKassian

KraKassian

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

I find all these type of dramatic problems to be a common occurence with Canadian teams that have recently reached the finals.

Ever since the '94 finals, actually.

1994: Canucks lose to Rangers. Canucks implode with all sorts of drama. Economic factors at play though.
2004: 10 years later, Flames lose to Lightning. They never went anywhere since. Bad trades galore.
2006: Oilers lose to Canes. Then the blow up with dramatic fashion. Pronger. Bad contracts. etc.
2007: Sens lose to Ducks. Yup, blow up. Heatley fiasco etc.

2011: Canucks lose to Bruins. And what have we seen since? Drama, bad deals and failure.

We were supposed to be different. So far that has not happened. Too much drama. Too much failure.

There's hope for a 'dramatic turnaround' though. Let us pray.

Sens look pretty good though when healthy though, they have bounced back pretty quick.

can't believe the Conacher trade to be honest.

And for me I have been waiting to see a Luongo for almost a year now, and I'm just tired of all the turmoil the situation has caused not only for the team(starting to believe that the team feels like they are somewhat in a disarray because of the situation), but for management, and the fans

Edited by KraKassian, 03 April 2013 - 04:06 PM.

#154 NikiShiz

NikiShiz

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

I've done my study and research and now I officially believe all ppl who are indian love lu. Heres why:

- luongo could pass as indian. Had a coworker amundeep who looked just like him

That's it. I will update my research further once I have more ground breaking evidence.

Shout out to kanucks1.

I'm not Indian.
Posted Image
NikiShiz

#155 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,433 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

Oh, I see what you're saying. You thought that I literally thought Gillis wrote up a contract and sat it in front of Luongo for him to sign because I used the words "laid in front of him". I am aware that there were two parties who negotiated the final draft, but I assumed the term, the captaincy and the NTC were things that Gillis either offered or conceded on, since Luongo was traded here and was being wooed to stay. You see, I was being ffigurative. For example, the term burry the hatched does not mean that the two parties take a hatchet to a lot somewhere to dig a hole and drop a hatchet in it. Rather, it means to let bygones be bygones and not HOLD ON NEEDLESSLY to s childish grudge.
But I could see where one may inadvertantly take such a term as "laid out for him" to mean precidely and exactly that.

Yes why don't we blame Gillis for trying to find a way to hold on to the Canucks most valuable piece at the time. Most people were wondering how the Canucks were going to afford to keep Luongo and he found a way. Now the only reason it had to come to that length and the inclusion of a NTC is because those are things ROBERTO LUONGO WANTED not because Gillis offered them. At that time he could not lose Luongo and I bet he had the full support of ownership, who most likely had to sign off on a contract of that magnitude.

So saying poor Luongo the poor victim of having to sign the contract that Gillis dropped in his lap is utterly asinine. He wanted it.. he should have been able to back that up with his play.

Btw I completely support Luongo and my honest thought was to trade Schneider (even if he was playing better, for sure there was a better return) But after these comments and sulking, I don't care if Luongo warms the bench or rides the bus in the Minors. He talks about how hes all about the Canucks and a team guy but at the end of the day, with this attitude, he is only looking out for #1.

Edited by Aladeen, 03 April 2013 - 04:23 PM.

Posted Image

#156 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

Don't you get it??? Money's not everything for him

If it wasn t everything to him, he wouldn t have demanded such a rediculous contract in the first place. He made his bed, now he can lie in it. No pity here.

#157 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

Lu has no option now but to pull himself together and get himself out of the mess, lest he wants to become the next Rick DiPietro.

#158 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

I forgive him because he admits it.

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#159 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

I believe the only way this ends with some kind of rational is if both sides restructure his contract to make it more attractive to other teams. It can be done. Both sides just have to agree to do so. I think the biggest hitch is Lou s agent. His fee is based on the term and value of the contract. Lou will still be liable for the full amount even if it is renegotiated.

#160 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

Gillis will have to ask Aquilini to eat that monster contract this summer. I'd love to be in the room when that conversation goes down.

Serves Aqualini right though, for hiring a green gm and not hiring a consultant and doing a proper talent search for their new gm.

Gilles Lupien got over big on the inexperienced Gillis and now Aqualini will have to eat that mess.

#161 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,167 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

I found it interesting, and suprising that MG stated that the contract had absolutely nothing to do with securing a deal. It was the nature of the deals proposed to the team.

He did good in not giving away Lu and focusing on what the team dearly needed, a centerman.

And i do agree, he is rolling the dice, and the off season will be very interesting. Lotsa cap friendly moves-deals will be made.

This is, he may have got better proposals if his contract wasn't so bad.

#162 ilduce39

ilduce39

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,003 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

Love Lou and I'm really hoping we make some magic in the playoffs but in a dramatic turn of events Lou is forced into action at a pivotal time, saving the day and winning us a cup.

You know, something cheesy that prompts a made-for-tv movie that may feature Emilio Estevez and end with a slow-motion hi-five.
T-Bone said:
remind them all of Tbone, remeber me for how I lived, not how I was banned
*sig too big

#163 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

Lu has no option now but to pull himself together and get himself out of the mess, lest he wants to become the next Rick DiPietro.

I don't understand the comparison between Lou and Rick DiPietro.

Sure they both have long contracts....but that's where the similarity ends.

DiPietro can't play. He's injured all the time. He's only played 10 career playoff games. Lou has won more games than Rick has even played.

I have been as critical as it gets with Lou, but bottom line: He's healthy and he's a great goalie. If he can figure out how to be more consistent in the playoffs he will become an all time great.

10 years from now, people will remember Lou. No one will remember DiPietro.

Edited by Mustapha, 03 April 2013 - 04:47 PM.

bobssig.jpg

this is why i shaked my head at those Canuck fans that cheered on the fLames to make the playoffs... that fan base is stupid as f thats the fan base that still to this day are convinced Alberts faked going down for a call on hit on that McGrattan hit that sent him to retirement. 

I hated that fan base since 04 and will forever hate them. they have such a huge inferiority complex about our team and the city/province. I hope we dispose of these losers quickly. 

#164 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

Gilles Lupien got over big on the inexperienced Gillis and now Aqualini will have to eat that mess.

I disagree. I think Mike Gillis knows a thing or two about player agents....and besides Aquilini gave the deal his blessing also.

If Schneider hadn't emerged, Lou would still be the incumbent, no question.

Edited by Mustapha, 03 April 2013 - 04:50 PM.

bobssig.jpg

this is why i shaked my head at those Canuck fans that cheered on the fLames to make the playoffs... that fan base is stupid as f thats the fan base that still to this day are convinced Alberts faked going down for a call on hit on that McGrattan hit that sent him to retirement. 

I hated that fan base since 04 and will forever hate them. they have such a huge inferiority complex about our team and the city/province. I hope we dispose of these losers quickly. 

#165 BiginJapan

BiginJapan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

Seems odd that the two parties can't agree to renegotiate the terms of the contract. This ain't serfdom.

#166 CanuckGM2013

CanuckGM2013

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

Completely delusional. Schneider has never cost the Canucks a cup, Luongo has. Don't play "the team didn't play well"card either, see the games in Boston, then throw that argument in the garbage.

^^^ this right here is whats wrong with Canucks 'Fans' maybe you should get on the Pittsburgh bandwagon, we don't need your kind

#167 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

I don't understand the comparison between Lou and Rick DiPietro.

Sure they both have long contracts....but that's where the similarity ends.

DiPietro can't play. He's injured all the time. He's only played 10 career playoff games. Lou has won more games than Rick has even played.

I have been as critical as it gets with Lou, but bottom line: He's healthy and he's a great goalie. If he can figure out how to be more consistent in the playoffs he will become an all time great.

10 years from now, people will remember Lou. No one will remember DiPietro.

Luongo's career playoff save pct. is identical to his regular season one. His playoff lack of consistancy is a myth, he gets shelled in the regular season once in a while and has had a few dud playoff games.

And to his credit for every dud playoff game he has an equally exceptional game. The finals against Boston and first round in Chicago had as much to do with defensive lapses as it did goaltending mistakes. Lets not forget Luongo had excellent performances in both series

credit to canuckforever00 for the sig :)

RIP Luc Bourdon

#168 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

Completely delusional. Schneider has never cost the Canucks a cup, Luongo has. Don't play "the team didn't play well"card either, see the games in Boston, then throw that argument in the garbage.

So 8 goals in 7 games is acceptable to you?

credit to canuckforever00 for the sig :)

RIP Luc Bourdon

#169 wai_lai416

wai_lai416

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

Reading some of the luongo hater response. If I were luongo.. I tell the management I aint waiving my ntc u can buy me out if u want to force a schneider trade just to shove it in their face and hope the luongo hater hop off the canucks bandwagon and go cheer for the oilers or flames. I dont even understand wheres all the hate and personal attacks are coming from. Luongo and schneider are both part of the team . If u support the team u support both... not hating and throwing trash comments towards them.

#170 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,684 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

I dunno about you, but I have a pretty good feeling moving forward into the playoffs this season.

Luongo realizes this is his last chance at a Stanley Cup... He's never been this hungry and desperate. I feel like he will play his heart out for this team, and that's just what we were missing to take us over the hump.

The team as it stands is actually better than ever. Yes, Sedins don't produce as much as 2011. Yes, Kesler's coming off an injury. But on paper, with Henrik, Kesler, Roy and Lapierre down the middle, we've never looked better.

I think we're going to see a repeat of 2010 - Luongo takes over after a bad game, and never looks back until he lifts the silver this time ;)

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#171 JC2

JC2

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

The real value in any deal is getting his cap hit off the books for next year. I highly doubt Gillis would have gone after Roy if he has no intention of trying to resign him and with the cap reduction there will be plenty of good players being dumped or not resigned. The market for Luongo wasn't good because a lot of the teams most likely interested are either out of the playoff race or cannot afford to give up any pieces of their team since they are still competing for a spot.

JC2

#172 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

I can honestly see Luongo in Philly next season. I'm sure now the Flyers know they need to buy out Byrz and most likely will and I can see them making a push for Lu. I would love to see him in Philly.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#173 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

come playoff time goalies have been known to steal complete series showing up in each and every game ya he won 1 2 and 5 standing on his head but people need to realize he also lost 3 4 and 7 with his first period play when a goalie doesn't make a save to start the game the team in front loses confidence

nobody is denying he played bad in the losses, but unlike the rest of the team he had 3 stellar games. that cannot be said for anybody else on the team in the finals.

he stole 3 games we won, the rest of the team couldn't step it up and steal one for him?

#174 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

We could have gotten Cory Conacher+Malone maybe for Schneider I bet.... damn
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#175 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

makes the most sense to trade Cory, should have done it a while ago but MG seems set on trading Luongo.

because he doesn't want to admit he made a mistake

#176 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,864 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

Not Luongo's fault. It's all on Gillis.

It takes 2 signatures to sign a contract.

kb71ZMt.jpg

#177 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

We could have gotten Cory Conacher+Malone maybe for Schneider I bet.... damn

more

Ottawa got Conacher and a pick just for Ben Bishop

#178 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,864 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

on the upside we dont have Ben Scrivens as a backup right now.

2.59 GAA, .918 save percentage in 18 games

ABSOLUTELY HORRENDOUS

kb71ZMt.jpg

#179 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

I think there is one thing that everyone agrees with, this is all on MG and everything is being handled wrong. It's a poker bet gone verrrry wrong. Fire him.

#180 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,332 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

This is, he may have got better proposals if his contract wasn't so bad.

The $-cap hit isnt bad at all.

Its the term.

Again, im suprised that teams lowballed Gillis.

They also forgot the option after 3-4 years that if the team is dissatisfied with Lu, the NTC is rendered void for that season, and the reverse for Lu the season after. It may be switched as far as the actual timing of when that kicks in, im not exactly sure.

2sa1qgh.jpg

The Canucks Playoff preparation

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.