The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Powerhouse of the west

Deadline day is over and all the final touches have been made to every team. We all know the Penguins are the powerhouse of the east with a roster that consists of Malkin, Crosby, Morrow, Letang, Neal, Iginla etc.

But who is the powerhouse of the west?

Before the season started all of the analysts were saying the Canucks had the third highest chance to win the cup, with the Pens and Rangers taking the 1 and 2 spots. Things look different now since the Wild just acquired Pominville, the Ducks are 2nd in the West and the Blackhawks have one of the best records in NHL history.

On paper, the Canucks are probably one of the best teams in the West, with a healthy line-up of

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Hansen-Kesler-Booth

Higgins-Roy-Raymond

Kassian-Lappiere-Weise

Hamhuis-Garrison

Bieksa-Edler

Ballard-Tanev

Soo.... Who will dominate the west this offseason!?

It's the west, nobody is dominant, Chicago and Anaheim started hot but any team in the top eight could beat any other and nobody would really be surprised. If the likes of St. Louis, Vancouver, San Jose or Detroit beat Chicago or Anaheim in the first round it'd barely even qualify as an upset, the west is supertight.

You cane take Booth out. That's a start.

Probably Ballard, too, because I doubt he sees ice-time.

We all know Raymond doesn't perform in the Play-offs (I DARE YOU TO PROVE ME WRONG, RAYMOND!)

Kassian and Lapierre are big question marks because of the way they've played this season.

Edler and Garrison need to play like NHL players instead of little league players.

We have yet to see how Roy fits with the team.

:blink:

Anaheim unless they sustain injuries. They've gone by relatively injury-free so far. I can see them taking out Chicago.

Minny invested large in this season and they will likely go far too.

But really, anything can happen. Including us being booted out of the playoffs altogether.

There is no powerhouse in the West this year. Chicago and Anaheim have overachieved, to some extent, and both have slowed down somewhat. Minnesota is a year or two away from being an elite contender and the rest of the teams (Los Angeles, St. Louis, and Detroit) still have question marks.

I don't understand how there is so much doom and gloom around these parts. Vancouver has as good a roster as any team in the West and, once we're healthy and can start playing up to our potential, we'll be a good bet to make some noise in this year's playoffs.

The West is really good. We're kind of like the Rangers, great on paper but no chemistry. You see teams like the Leafs, Sens, Ducks, Habs with much less skill but excellent team chemistry. IMO the playoffs are all about chemistry, this team needs to find it and fast or it's going to be a short run.

You cane take Booth out. That's a start.

Probably Ballard, too, because I doubt he sees ice-time.

We all know Raymond doesn't perform in the Play-offs (I DARE YOU TO PROVE ME WRONG, RAYMOND!)

Kassian and Lapierre are big question marks because of the way they've played this season.

Edler and Garrison need to play like NHL players instead of little league players.

We have yet to see how Roy fits with the team.

:blink:

Stats don't matter when you're a defencemen. Edler has 17 points this year, but id scrap those points for actual defence any day of the week. The game Doughty plays, no one on this Canucks team can match. And Doughty is just an example I'm using... Other teams have their #1 guy as well.

Archived