39 replies to this topic

#1 Hodgson!!

Hodgson!!

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

Deadline day is over and all the final touches have been made to every team. We all know the Penguins are the powerhouse of the east with a roster that consists of Malkin, Crosby, Morrow, Letang, Neal, Iginla etc.

But who is the powerhouse of the west?

Before the season started all of the analysts were saying the Canucks had the third highest chance to win the cup, with the Pens and Rangers taking the 1 and 2 spots. Things look different now since the Wild just acquired Pominville, the Ducks are 2nd in the West and the Blackhawks have one of the best records in NHL history.

On paper, the Canucks are probably one of the best teams in the West, with a healthy line-up of

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Hansen-Kesler-Booth
Higgins-Roy-Raymond
Kassian-Lappiere-Weise

Hamhuis-Garrison
Bieksa-Edler
Ballard-Tanev

Soo.... Who will dominate the west this offseason!?
Posted Image

Signature Made by Vintage Canuck

#2 sgt. grumbles

sgt. grumbles

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

Anaheim. Chicago has some holes in their game and I think Anaheim is the team to beat in the west this year.

#3 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

It's the west, nobody is dominant, Chicago and Anaheim started hot but any team in the top eight could beat any other and nobody would really be surprised. If the likes of St. Louis, Vancouver, San Jose or Detroit beat Chicago or Anaheim in the first round it'd barely even qualify as an upset, the west is supertight.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#4 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

You cane take Booth out. That's a start.

Probably Ballard, too, because I doubt he sees ice-time.

We all know Raymond doesn't perform in the Play-offs (I DARE YOU TO PROVE ME WRONG, RAYMOND!)

Kassian and Lapierre are big question marks because of the way they've played this season.

Edler and Garrison need to play like NHL players instead of little league players.

We have yet to see how Roy fits with the team.

:blink:
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#5 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

Even though Chicago is tearing it up right now...I would say it;s almost equal for about five teams (CHI,VAN,ANA,LA,STL)..After today,you could put the Wild in that mix as well.

#6 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,860 posts

Anaheim unless they sustain injuries. They've gone by relatively injury-free so far. I can see them taking out Chicago.

Minny invested large in this season and they will likely go far too.

But really, anything can happen. Including us being booted out of the playoffs altogether.
Posted Image

#7 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Chicago Blackhawks and the St.Louis Blues.

Aneheim is somewhat in there. We could be included as a secondary powerhouse if everyone is healthy and playing well.

#8 nowhereman

nowhereman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

There is no powerhouse in the West this year. Chicago and Anaheim have overachieved, to some extent, and both have slowed down somewhat. Minnesota is a year or two away from being an elite contender and the rest of the teams (Los Angeles, St. Louis, and Detroit) still have question marks.

I don't understand how there is so much doom and gloom around these parts. Vancouver has as good a roster as any team in the West and, once we're healthy and can start playing up to our potential, we'll be a good bet to make some noise in this year's playoffs.
Posted Image

#9 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

Minnesota Wild... They're on fire and they added Pominville.... Bye bye division banner
Posted Image

#10 sgt. grumbles

sgt. grumbles

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

Even though Chicago is tearing it up right now...I would say it;s almost equal for about five teams (CHI,VAN,ANA,LA,STL)..After today,you could put the Wild in that mix as well.

You're dreaming if you think the canucks are in the same tier as the ducks and black hawks. Chicago / Anaheim then st. Louis / Minnesota then Vancouver / LA

Edited by sgt. grumbles, 03 April 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#11 FlyLow_

FlyLow_

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

The West is really good. We're kind of like the Rangers, great on paper but no chemistry. You see teams like the Leafs, Sens, Ducks, Habs with much less skill but excellent team chemistry. IMO the playoffs are all about chemistry, this team needs to find it and fast or it's going to be a short run.

#12 Rhinogator

Rhinogator

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

We need a #1 RHD before any cup.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

We need a #1 RHD before any cup.

We have 2 of them.

We need the team to stay healthy to win a Cup.

1znsn4k.jpg

Every "Burrow's Special", to Date.

#14 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

You cane take Booth out. That's a start.

Probably Ballard, too, because I doubt he sees ice-time.

We all know Raymond doesn't perform in the Play-offs (I DARE YOU TO PROVE ME WRONG, RAYMOND!)

Kassian and Lapierre are big question marks because of the way they've played this season.

Edler and Garrison need to play like NHL players instead of little league players.

We have yet to see how Roy fits with the team.

:blink:

Booth will play.

Hes had a tough go with injuries, but i do like his upside.

We haven't seen the best of Booth IMO

#15 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

We have 2 of them.

Which two? Bieksa? I don't think so... Tanev? I hope to god that he isn't our #1 RHD, not that he's bad, but just because he isn't that good.

Did you know LA's top RHD was Doughty?
Posted Image

#16 sgt. grumbles

sgt. grumbles

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

Which two? Bieksa? I don't think so... Tanev? I hope to god that he isn't our #1 RHD, not that he's bad, but just because he isn't that good.

Did you know LA's top RHD was Doughty?

Drew Doughty has one goal on the year. I know he's a better player than that but if he played in this town he'd be taking tons of heat.

#17 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,480 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

We have 2 of them.

1) A healthy team
2) A team that is always firing on all cylinders
3) A team that gets spectacular goaltending each game

If those steps happen then we can start talking Lord Stanley

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#18 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

Drew Doughty has one goal on the year. I know he's a better player than that but if he played in this town he'd be taking tons of heat.

Stats don't matter when you're a defencemen. Edler has 17 points this year, but id scrap those points for actual defence any day of the week. The game Doughty plays, no one on this Canucks team can match. And Doughty is just an example I'm using... Other teams have their #1 guy as well.
Posted Image

#19 sgt. grumbles

sgt. grumbles

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

Stats don't matter when you're a defencemen. Edler has 17 points this year, but id scrap those points for actual defence any day of the week. The game Doughty plays, no one on this Canucks team can match. And Doughty is just an example I'm using... Other teams have their #1 guy as well.

You make a really good point and come playoff time you want a defenseman who foremost can play defense and any offense they chip in is just a bonus. I just don't think the defense is really an issue with this team. If Doughty was a Vancouver Canuck and had a single goal and a +/- of 1 he would be getting absolutely lambasted by the fans and media alike. Look at the criticism Garrison drew earlier in the season regarding his production, what if he only had one goal? All the pieces for the defense are there in my opinion, to just have to not suck basically.

#20 ilduce39

ilduce39

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,675 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

My money is on Chicago.. but anything could happen, this year especially. Last year it was #7 vs #8.
T-Bone said:
remind them all of Tbone, remeber me for how I lived, not how I was banned
*sig too big

#21 ALTtimegreat

ALTtimegreat

Comets Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:08 PM

Need a franchise Dman aka Seth Jones 'cause this team is not going all the way . It's a wishful thinking of the idea of the canucks going on a cinderella run this season. Canucks might make it to 2nd round and Gillis will sell it to some sheep fans that its a success. Next season the sedins, burrows are a year older while other teams' young superstars get better and some hit their prime. The windows have closed.

#22 Wedge-tailed Eagle

Wedge-tailed Eagle

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

It is obviously Columbus :bigblush:
Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for awesome sig

#23 CrazyAL

CrazyAL

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

Minnesota Wild... They're on fire and they added Pominville.... Bye bye division banner

It's going to be tough...... losing that banner.... sigh.... so tough.

#24 AnInconvenienceBrah

AnInconvenienceBrah

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

LA is the best in the West

#25 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

You're dreaming if you think the canucks are in the same tier as the ducks and black hawks. Chicago / Anaheim then st. Louis / Minnesota then Vancouver / LA

Funny...Last year everyone was counting out the LA Kings against the Canucks..In the playoffs,expect the unexpected...If the Canucks are healthy and firing on all cylinders,why could'nt they beat the Hawks?...If you think the goaltending tandem of Corey Crawford and Ray Emery are better then Luongo and Schneider..I beg to differ...I'm not dreaming at all.

#26 CrazyAL

CrazyAL

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

It's a crapshoot, are people going to be all that surprised if say a team like the Blues knocks off the Hawks in the first round? not really.

#27 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:58 PM

I said Blues at the start of the season to go to the SCF, and I still think so. Great depth, and one of the best D in the league.

Chicago will be knocked out early by my guess. Their "great" depth won't last that long.
Ducks are coached by Boudreau who couldn't get his dominant caps by a hot goalie. Might still struggle with that.
LA just won the cup, so unlikely for them to make it again
Wild are a team that could surprise, but CHI, ANA, STL, and LA would beat them.

And then there's us...

Oh, and don't forget Columbus, they might just sneak in and win a round.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#28 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

It's a crapshoot, are people going to be all that surprised if say a team like the Blues knocks off the Hawks in the first round? not really.

It's not necessarily a crapshoot, but just who is hotter at that time, and isn't dealing with key injuries. Just like LA last year, and people that counted them out were foolish to do so. Same goes for the blues this year.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#29 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,771 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

Anaheim. Chicago has some holes in their game and I think Anaheim is the team to beat in the west this year.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#30 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

Funny...Last year everyone was counting out the LA Kings against the Canucks..In the playoffs,expect the unexpected...If the Canucks are healthy and firing on all cylinders,why could'nt they beat the Hawks?...If you think the goaltending tandem of Corey Crawford and Ray Emery are better then Luongo and Schneider..I beg to differ...I'm not dreaming at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.