The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler proving why hes our #1 D-man

Merely

Like Edler.. but Hamhuis and Bieksa are just as important to our team if not more.

One of the above posters called him slow. Are you kidding me?

Hes clearly playing with a bad back, which has been hampering him for a few months now, so its no surprise hes getting beat this year, whereas in years past he wasnt.

Ill never understand how fans and media still continue to make certain players their whipping boys. A few years back, everyone wanted Bieksa traded... now, I can not imagine this team without him.. he has grown into one of the 3 most important pieces on this team. You have to look at the potential of a player, and realize that a player is only going to play his best when hes in a position to...not one player in this league is going to play to his potential when playing in discomfort.. and unless you are sidney crosby you are going to have your stretches of ups and downs.

Edler is a heck of a dman and is just going to get better.

We need Edler to be successful in the Playoffs. He has the size to battle the big boys. Hamhuis showed this when he went down after checking Lucic. Edler has had his issues but they are overblown. The less knowledgable fans seem to need a scapegoat every season. When they choose one they overhype every little error. He will be a solid player for us for 8-10 more years hopefully.

EXACTLY wrong. I like Ballard. Always have.

But, just like I do with Edler or Bieksa, when he has a rough outing or two, I call a spade a spade.

To clariffy: In our last little tete a tete, I responded to a post that said Ballard had been scratched "for no reason". I responded that his plus/minus for the two previous games was twice as bad as Alberts' and that Barker was waiting to get into game action.

By my definition, that's two reasons. I may or may not agree that they're good reasons, but they're reasons nonetheless.

Enter my old buddy Wallstreet, who starts arguing with me and saying that I was being unfair, because other defenders had played poorly as welll. Absolutely true, but not something that I had been addressing in my previous post.

Personally, I'd have left Ballard in the lineup. However, I don't agree that there was "no" reason to sit him out. He'd had his ups and downs like many Canucks.

Edler's play for most of the season has been worse than every dman this team has employed........so he gets a free pass why? because he provides offense sometimes?

Seriously give any other dman on this team other than Alberts or Tanev his role and ice time and they would likely produce a decent amount of offense without the massive defensive blunders almost every game.

/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=11282092">snapback.pngwallstreetamigo, on 05 April 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

Edler's play for most of the season has been worse than every dman this team has employed........so he gets a free pass why? because he provides offense sometimes?

Seriously give any other dman on this team other than Alberts or Tanev his role and ice time and they would likely produce a decent amount of offense without the massive defensive blunders almost every game.

Once again, you're arguing something that I haven't commented on, but to answer your question, Edler has proven himself to the coaching staff (and to the league) in the past. Top six in scoring for NHL defensemen doesn't just happen, there has to be something there. That's why Edler (and the rest of the top 4) gets cut so much slack.

Wallstreetamigo, you hit the nail in the head.  I don't subscribe to rupertkbd's theory of cutting much slack for past performance, as we need the best team on the ice every night. Will not say more about his post, I don't want him to call me a jerk again.

lol let's attack people's typo instead of focusing on the argument.

You are literally comparing a defenseman who is making 14 million dollars a year to a 5 million defenseman. Then you tell people that the reason Edler isn't a good dman is because Weber is playing better at the similar age?

You are using a 14 millions dollars defenseman who has 21 points and is a mere +3 this season as the reason why Edler is bad?

and you are trying to tell me to use logic?

Can't stand negative Canuck fans I agree he had a strong game last night, and I hope he turns into the beast he was in the 2011 playoffs the boy can hit! If he can elevate his game for playoffs everyone will forget his below average regular season

Hate to say it, but the book is out on Edler around the league. Chip it past him and chase, and you're going to generate a scoring chance.

If he can work on this, you'll see his +/- improve, but right now... I know what I'd do on the rush if I was on the other team.

I was bringing up the point that people were saying that Edler's age is maybe a reason why he isn't fully developed yet. Yet Weber who is six months older, has been nominated for the Norris three times and is one of the top defenders in the league. If you want to argue those points, then you really have no clue. Edler's age isn't the reason. Also Weber's salary is around $7.6 a year. The other 6.5 is the bonus.

Edler isn't the top dman on the team because he is irresponsible in his own zone. You know, where you should defend. He is a liabilty in his own end. He has 5 goals and 12 assists but sits at -3.

People keep on talking about Edler still needing time to develop and missing Salo or Erhoff, but that does nothing to explain his unwillingness to take the body and clear the crease. Yes he is a puck moving defenseman, and can be a very good one (when he doesn't turn the puck over), but needs to focus more on the defensive side of his game. If he can bring the attributes he has displayed before, like his bone crushing hits, back into his game and make opposing forwards entering the zone pay the price, he is worth the $5 M.

PS. I can't help that you type like a eight year old

Like Edler.. but Hamhuis and Bieksa are just as important to our team if not more.

One of the above posters called him slow. Are you kidding me?

Hes clearly playing with a bad back, which has been hampering him for a few months now, so its no surprise hes getting beat this year, whereas in years past he wasnt.

Ill never understand how fans and media still continue to make certain players their whipping boys. A few years back, everyone wanted Bieksa traded... now, I can not imagine this team without him.. he has grown into one of the 3 most important pieces on this team. You have to look at the potential of a player, and realize that a player is only going to play his best when hes in a position to...not one player in this league is going to play to his potential when playing in discomfort.. and unless you are sidney crosby you are going to have your stretches of ups and downs.

Edler is a heck of a dman and is just going to get better.

/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=11282301">snapback.pngCanuck-a-nuck, on 05 April 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

I was bringing up the point that people were saying that Edler's age is maybe a reason why he isn't fully developed yet.

Edler ... is a liabilty in his own end. He has 5 goals and 12 assists but sits at -3.

PIGGY1983:

Brilliant logic. I guess we should all use Crosby as a standard on how every 20 years old forwards should perform.

Weber's bonus count as his salary just like how it counts in his cap hit. You are using the most expensive defenseman in the history of the nhl as a standard on how edler should be fully develop at 26.

Archived