The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Suspension] Volchenkov suspended 4 games

You know, they really didn't believe that. It's not all that hard to look at all the round things in the sky, the change of the location of those things in the sky as you travel over the Earth, and determine you're on a round thing too. The flat Earth BS is a myth popularized by post-Renaissance society because they thought people in the Middle Ages were stupid and uncivilized, and so must have thought stupid things like "the world is flat".

The Greeks, Romans, Assyrians, Mayans, Egyptians, Medieval Europeans and pretty much any half-decent civilization knew the Earth was round.

The problem is that they weren't looking. (Kind of like how this incident isn't being looked at?)

Ships aren't 'sinking' at the horizon, they were simply going over the curve.

Mountaintops aren't rising out of the earth when you travel closer to them, you are simply going over the curve.

The earth has never looked flat if you actually, y'know, look.

Looking at the incident, you'd see a suspendable elbow to the head that's worth around 4 games.

So no one ever looked down at the ground and thought that the earth was flat? Wow... I'm not saying certain civilizations knew or didn't know the earth was round what I am saying is that appearances can be decieving just like anyone who would have thought stars are little specks of light in the sky.

Most people were busy trying to live that they weren't worried about whether or not the earth was flat or round they were just trying to survive... those civilizations were fortunate as they had scholars that didn't need to farm and scrape by a living so that they could think of those things.. regardless the point was completely missed... which is definately not uncommon here.

Total joke is the NHL discipline committee. The Bruins are obviously faking this in order to get the suspension upped. With the lack of suspensions handed out in this league and this gets 4 games. A complete joke IMO. It truly is a wheel of justice.

:picard:

The Earth being round was as known to the common man in these cultures as it is to us now, arguably more so. It was necessary for navigation that they know how the stars, sun and moon moved which had the very obvious implication that the Earth was round. Scholars discovered things like "The Earth orbits the sun" because those observations required telescopes, but if you thought the world was flat, you were either in a Stone Age culture or an idiot.

Both of you guys got a valid point. The hit does worth some sort of suspension. The problem is that other hits from superstars didn't get the suspension it should get....

Instead of complaining there should be no suspension on Marchand's hit, you should be complaining the star treatment the league is giving.

You are just scaring that poor guy while you Gould be complaining about the inconsistency of the league........

How is what I wrote worthy of a facepalm? Do you have proof that the Earth being round (which its not - it is actually an oblate spheroid) was common to man all throughout history? My guess is you don't in the slightest but that is just your guess or opinion. Regardless the Stone Age was a Time in our history and all civilizations on earth went through it one way or another.. and there are a lot of idiots... always have been... just reference your last post for proof.

Woah-ho! Someone knows how to work Google. You'll have a clue what that means when you know your way around studies of simulations of astrological collisions. Then maybe you'll know what an oblate spheroid is in a planetary context, not just a geometric one.

I read hundreds of peer-reviewed articles a week. I really don't have time to cite the results of the relevant studies, studies that you can't read because you haven't got the schooling, nor access to the relevant journals. Besides, your idea that knowledge is summed up in some singular source that, if cited, you will suddenly believe what I've said speaks to an ignorance I can make no dent in. This is what I get for making a comment about astrological history in a hockey forum. What was I thinking?

Archived