The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Antti Niemi thinks we were lucky 2 years ago...

Understand

If you've got to talk trash to get pumped up for a series then that's fine with me. What I don't want to see is the trash last year where we acted all serious to point of not even celebrating during the regular seasons when we got a goal, then fell flat on our faces against LA. All this tells me is that Niemi is a competitor, and I like that.

What does it mean to be lucky ?

Simply put, its being prepared when opportunity presents.

In sports, and in the game of hockey, there are many opportunities - its the people who are prepared to take them that appear 'lucky'

In regards to bieksa - he had an opportunity by having that puck bounce back to him - but in the same vien, he was also prepared for it and took advantage.

He's right. We were lucky that we had goaltending that kept us in most games in most series. We're lucky Kesler and Sedins tore up the entire playoffs with no regard for human life.

We are, however, unlucky that everything good about our team left in the WCF of 2011 and never came back.

I'm sorry, there were maybe 2 lucky goals that entire series. The Canucks absolutely dominated the Sharks on the powerplay - the Sedins and Salo slapped their PK and Niemi around like a rag-doll, and Luongo stool on his head. That was the difference - special teams and goaltending.

If anything, Niemi got lucky 3 years ago when he won the Cup. Posted a 2.6-something GAA in the playoffs, got ventilated some nights but had the most stacked team in front of him in the cap-illegitimate Blackhawks scoring 5 a night in front of him. He was clutch at times, lucky at others.

"We lost two years ago and remembering those games, they were a little lucky, they got a few lucky goals". said Sharks goalie Antti Niemi.

Although I agree that we were lucky 2 years ago in beating them, but I think this year's Sharks team is less fearful as 2 years ago, so I think we still have a chance this year..

Archived