The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Workout is going really, really well. Since I started on March 21st, down from 194 to 174. As before, haven’t lost weight in almost 3 months now, but have certainly gained a lot of muscle and trimmed down substantially.

Wednesday’s are pure cardio for me, but I decided that, instead of doing 30 minutes running or elliptical, I’d do the following (started today). Not sure if good, but wanted to up my challenge and routine, and thought this would be good. Thoughts?

10 minute run (8 mile run pace)

20 burpees

10 reps with a 30lb medicine ball overhead slams

40 quick steps on small step

50 skipping ropes

30 battle ropes per arm/3 sets

Planks (unsure which types to alternate with)

• Upvote 2

I started going to a new physio recently to hopefully make some incremental improvements since I blew my knee out 4 years ago.

Received some IMS treatment for the first time this week, hands down the most intense physio appointment I have ever had. Insane stimulation of the muscle, worth a try if you're good with needles and have a lingering injury issue.

Anyone else tried?

https://sportsmedicine.med.ubc.ca/services/gunn-ims/ 

Intramuscular Stimulation (IMS) is a system for the diagnosis and treatment of myofascial pain syndromes (chronic pain conditions that occur in the musculoskeletal system when there is no obvious sign of injury or inflammation).  IMS is grounded in Western Medical Science, and has a solid foundation in its radiculopathic model of pain, which is now supported by many experts in the field.  The treatment was developed by Dr. Chan Gunn in the 1970’s and utilizes acupuncture needles because they are the thinnest implements available that are designed to penetrate deep within the muscle tissue, specifically targeting injured muscles that have contracted and become shortened from distress.

IMS relies heavily on a thorough physical examination of the patient by a competent practitioner, trained to recognize the physical signs of neuropathic pain.  This physical exam is indispensible because chronic pain is often neurological as opposed to structural, and therefore, invisible to X-rays, MRI, bone and CT scans.  Failure to recognize these signs will result in an inaccurate diagnosis, and thus a poor starting point for physical therapy.

Treatment involves dry needling of the affected areas of the body without injecting any substance.  The goal of treatment is to release muscle shortening, which presses on and irritates the nerve.  IMS, in effect, treats the underlying neuropathic condition that causes the pain.  When competently performed, IMS has a remarkable success rate, as proven by the amelioration of symptoms and signs, even for chronic back pain.

Other pet peeves I may have not listed before:

Standing too close or sitting too close to the weight rack while doing your exercise. Other people may need to use those weights and shouldn't have to wait for or ask you to move. 

Secondly, people sitting on machines in between breaks. Get the &^@# off. Other people may want to use it and shouldn't have to ask you. 

12 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Standing too close or sitting too close to the weight rack while doing your exercise. Other people may need to use those weights and shouldn't have to wait for or ask you to move. 

But my biceps look bigger the closer I stand!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

I started going to a new physio recently to hopefully make some incremental improvements since I blew my knee out 4 years ago.

Received some IMS treatment for the first time this week, hands down the most intense physio appointment I have ever had. Insane stimulation of the muscle, worth a try if you're good with needles and have a lingering injury issue.

Anyone else tried?

https://sportsmedicine.med.ubc.ca/services/gunn-ims/ 

IMS is great. Too many physios hide behind it though. Not always the optimal treatment modality. I only use it if it's truly what's best for the client, or as a supplemental modality to something else we're trying to achieve. 

11 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

IMS is great. Too many physios hide behind it though. Not always the optimal treatment modality. I only use it if it's truly what's best for the client, or as a supplemental

modality to something else we're trying to achieve. 

Yeah I don't view it as the be all end all treatment, just a supplement to release mad tension in my hip flexor and the muscle on outside of my shin (outer calf but not called calf muscle?)   I just never realized how intense it would be as he massaged it after though I almost had to tell him to stop until I remembered how much I am paying 

Are you a physio ?  I recently started going here in north van https://www.coastperformancerehab.com/physiotherapy  - seems very legit so far - suggested IMS during my second visit after the first was a thorough assessment and got some basic things to work on 

Also just bought an agility ladder to incorporate into my routine. Never done one, but really digging working out and pushing myself harder. I also enrolled my 3 year old daughter into gymnastics for the fall, and thought I’d take a class as well. Again, never done gymnastics, but seems like it would be fun.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chicken. said:

Yeah I don't view it as the be all end all treatment, just a supplement to release mad tension in my hip flexor and the muscle on outside of my shin (outer calf but not called calf muscle?)   I just never realized how intense it would be as he massaged it after though I almost had to tell him to stop until I remembered how much I am paying 

Are you a physio ?  I recently started going here in north van https://www.coastperformancerehab.com/physiotherapy  - seems very legit so far - suggested IMS during my second visit after the first was a thorough assessment and got some basic things to work on 

Yup.

It definitely isn't the be all end all. Unfortunately some clinics charge a different price to receive IMS treatment, and that tricks the patient into thinking their whole appointment is IMS followed by a little massage and heat. PT bills you $90 for 10 mins of work + you sitting on your own with heat for 10 mins. 

Ask your PT to add the stim onto the IMS needle. That's when the real party begins lol

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Yup.

It definitely isn't the be all end all. Unfortunately some clinics charge a different price to receive IMS treatment, and that tricks the patient into thinking their whole appointment is IMS followed by a little massage and heat. PT bills you $90 for 10 mins of work + you sitting on your own with heat for 10 mins. 

Ask your PT to add the stim onto the IMS needle. That's when the real party begins lol

Hmm interesting, what do you mean by 'add the stim' ? like some liquid? I'm not sure how much more intense it could get tbh. It was part of his usual rate... $150 an hour still not cheap but you pay for what you get, especially 1 on 1 treatment, good thing I have benefits

I got a PRP injection in my knee back in April at the allan mcgavin clinic at UBC too... been venturing out my comfort zone trying some new 'experimental' techniques to avoid surgery and prevent any further deterioration of cartilage. been getting cold laser therapy every so often too with my Chiro benefits lol, at first directly on my knee but recently been trying on my ankle as my new physio suggested is contributing to my knee issues is lack of ankle mobility.

Somehow my recent MRI shows that my acl/mcl/meniscus appear intact now when 4 years ago all were badly/fully torn after a traumatic soccer collision. A real life changer lol

2 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Hmm interesting, what do you mean by 'add the stim' ? like some liquid? I'm not sure how much more intense it could get tbh. It was part of his usual rate... $150 an hour still not cheap but you pay for what you get, especially 1 on 1 treatment, good thing I have benefits

I got a PRP injection in my knee back in April at the allan mcgavin clinic at UBC too... been venturing out my comfort zone trying some new 'experimental' techniques to avoid surgery and prevent any further deterioration of cartilage. been getting cold laser therapy every so often too with my Chiro benefits lol, at first directly on my knee but recently been trying on my ankle as my new physio suggested is contributing to my knee issues is lack of ankle mobility.

Somehow my recent MRI shows that my acl/mcl/meniscus appear intact now when 4 years ago all were badly/fully torn after a traumatic soccer collision. A real life changer lol

A stim is an electric attachment you add onto the end of the needle and you can control how much electrical stimulation you can cause to the tissues that the needle is in (after the initial involuntary contraction).

• Cheers 1

One of the other things that made me step up my workout game and push harder. I recently discovered TikTok (because I’m old and apparently awful to watch some of the stuff on there). However, I became motivated after watching some of Demi Bagby’s videos, which are incredibly impressive.

Thought, if someone can back from a car accident and pull off what she’s doing, I can at least try and push myself harder than what I’ve been doing.

18 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

A stim is an electric attachment you add onto the end of the needle and you can control how much electrical stimulation you can cause to the tissues that the needle is in (after the initial involuntary contraction).

Does this hurt at all? I am 44 and really working out hard doing HIIT and my rotator cuffs were killing me so I tried prolotherapy, and I was in agony for a week after it so I did not go back. My shoulders have been fine so far, but the last three days my right shoulder feels tender to the touch and a bit sore when I raise my arm up. Would this therapy help?

Edited by Ohthehumanity

32 minutes ago, Ohthehumanity said:

Does this hurt at all? I am 44 and really working out hard doing HIIT and my rotator cuffs were killing me so I tried prolotherapy, and I was in agony for a week after it so I did not go back. My shoulders have been fine so far, but the last three days my right shoulder feels tender to the touch and a bit sore when I raise my arm up. Would this therapy help?

Well pain is subjective. 

There are some body parts I do this on on my patients (such as the upper trap, the glute med, the brachoradialis) where they enjoy the feeling of it because those muscles in particular are more bulky and not as sensitive.

However, I put a needle into a patient's subscapularis or calf and they're calling me every name in the book out of pain lol. 

You describe being in a very acute phase of whatever it is your shoulder is going through, so I would not recommend a modality like IMS dry needling, especially not with the added stim. 

I'll save you a few hundred bucks: At this point if you went to physio, they would do some ultrasound and/or IFC with some gentle passive range of motion and finish you off with heat. It's only when the tenderness on palpation goes away that they'll try something more aggressive. So at home, while it's still tender to touch, use heat, do gentle stretches, and have a spouse/friend/parent gently massage the area while you gently move it. 

Only go see a physio once you/someone else is able to touch it without you wincing in pain from the tenderness. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I just discovered last week that she’s only 18. Blew my mind. I thought she was closer to my age (26). 

That’s what I thought, too. “Mid to late twenties,” my wife and I said.

Was embarrassed at my own fitness level that I wasn’t pushing harder when I realized she was 18 and was in a car accident. I thought, “Well, I wasn’t in a car accident, but I did get blown away in MLB The Show 19, that’s similar.”

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Monty said:

Was embarrassed at my own fitness level that I wasn’t pushing harder when I realized she was 18 and was in a car accident. I thought, “Well, I wasn’t in a car accident, but I did get blown away in MLB The Show 19, that’s similar.”

I think that accident left her with the prospect of not walking again but I could be misremembering. Even without having been in the wreck she’s pretty impressive, that just makes it all the more impressive. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/19/2019 at 8:26 PM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Cross fit is doing exercises in bad form 

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

I think that accident left her with the prospect of not walking again but I could be misremembering. Even without having been in the wreck she’s pretty impressive, that just makes it all the more impressive. 

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Woah. Pretty Impressive that this teenager who broke her back and was paralzyed for several months used a fitness regime that is "doing exercises in bad form" to rehab and prove all the medical doctors wrong eh?

:)

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Well pain is subjective. 

There are some body parts I do this on on my patients (such as the upper trap, the glute med, the brachoradialis) where they enjoy the feeling of it because those muscles in particular are more bulky and not as sensitive.

However, I put a needle into a patient's subscapularis or calf and they're calling me every name in the book out of pain lol. 

You describe being in a very acute phase of whatever it is your shoulder is going through, so I would not recommend a modality like IMS dry needling, especially not with the added stim. 

I'll save you a few hundred bucks: At this point if you went to physio, they would do some ultrasound and/or IFC with some gentle passive range of motion and finish you off with heat. It's only when the tenderness on palpation goes away that they'll try something more aggressive. So at home, while it's still tender to touch, use heat, do gentle stretches, and have a spouse/friend/parent gently massage the area while you gently move it. 

Only go see a physio once you/someone else is able to touch it without you wincing in pain from the tenderness. 

Thanks for the advice!