The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

51 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

That is amazing Riff!

Good for you. I know a dude that is 56 and just got his bluebelt in JJ. 

I am looking at Island Top Team as I will be close to Nanaimo, but don't know much about them other than the website

As for kickboxing, it's in my soul to punch and kick. I was a drummer since I was 11 but once the 'career' was over I focused on martial arts in a big way. I competed till 35 and still think about getting back into it ( btw, I always forget how old I am). I think it is a natural percussive progression for some drummers to be attracted to hitting things. 

I do remember your elbow. Very happy to hear you've made big strides. I have been nursing a bit of an arm issue myself. Not sure how it developed but I've had to lay off the pull ups in particular and replaced them with bar pull downs. It's slowly getting better but a climbing gym would make me wince right now.

Please update how it goes. I will do the same if I actually get myself into club down the road.

I’m going to check out Eke Academy in Victoria 

7 hours ago, riffraff said:

I don’t lift anymore.  (Early 40’s) I’m now a cardio nerd.

i have to manage lifting and impact activities as I’m a lifer in construction.

i ride my bike on gravel trails 250-300km per week with a few short trail runs sprinkled in.

i find it quite addictive and can ride every day but obviously feel fairly stiff often and have the heavy dead legs feeling which I ignore.  So as I said a i took a couple days off and then hit a ride and run yesterday.  After the break and some stretching I felt significantly stronger.  So it has caused me to step back and consider more rest intervals.

winter is good for me too because I break up the routine with hockey season and surfing.

Sounds like you have the right recipe that works for you.

• Cheers 1

On 9/5/2019 at 9:31 AM, Monty said:

This guy has been sitting for 10-15 minutes since coming in, not working out, and texting. I’m shocked :rolleyes:

84D30CD7-E9A3-4B96-A356-7CCD133A9C28.jpeg

He's stretching his hip man :)

On topic.. I came across this motivating video, never knew they made every Ironman race into like a documentary. pretty neat for anyone interested in what it's like.

I'm 29 with a bum knee.. the running would be my biggest hurdle now

11 hours ago, riffraff said:

Just finished my first ever martial arts class - BJJ

wow so much fun.  So good for the brain. And I had a sweat on by the end.

sitting here with a bit of an adrenaline buzz.

stoked.

cant wait to continue and learn.

You're the best!....around....nothing's ever gonna keep you down.

Way to go Riff. good stuff.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I want to. Can I find it without a streaming subscription? 

I bought myself Nvdia Shield (basically a TV box) for about $200 last year, downloaded Kodi and stream for free.  Been watching some movies as well.  Last one I saw was Jack Reacher.  Next weekend will be Jack Reacher: Never Go Back.

1 minute ago, BPA said:

I bought myself Nvdia Shield (basically a TV box) for about $200 last year, downloaded Kodi and stream for free.  Been watching some movies as well.  Last one I saw was Jack Reacher.  Next weekend will be Jack Reacher: Never Go Back.

I have Kodi installed on my pc. I'll see if I can find it. Thx!

The company I work at has a call center and I go up there about 7:30 to grab some of that Japanese green tea for the day and guys are already sucking down pop. They probably drink more in a day or a couple days than I will all year. The fridge is fully stocked with pop. It's crazy. I don't know how people do that. I drink pop a few times a year tops. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

The company I work at has a call center and I go up there about 7:30 to grab some of that Japanese green tea for the day and guys are already sucking down pop. They probably drink more in a day or a couple days than I will all year. The fridge is fully stocked with pop. It's crazy. I don't know how people do that. I drink pop a few times a year tops. 

Co worker of mine drinks 6-8 cans of Diet Coke a day at work alone , eats bags of chips for lunch. 

I don’t understand how he functions.

17 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Co worker of mine drinks 6-8 cans of Diet Coke a day at work alone , eats bags of chips for lunch. 

The human body has remarkable resilience.. I am sure he is not functioning optimally lol 

I feel like everyone has an example

of people chugging back pop, a friend of mine regularly has 3 monster energy drinks a day. I barely have 1 a month and still feel gross after. 

“3 monsters for $6 man such a good deal!!”

16 hours ago, HI5 said:

that, or processed food daily. I simply don't have the appetite for those things anymore and would have a harder time eating microwavables. Years and years of conditioning eating 'the right stuff.' Some are microwavables are actually quite alright

On a different note I decided to get blood work done - vitamin levels, etc, a couple weeks ago. The results came in and she was like, everything looks fine. Iron levels are good. Vitamin D levels are good. But you have elevated levels of B12. I asked what that was exactly. And she was like - eat fewer leafy greens

lmao. I guess there is no harm in elevated B12. But I've literally never heard anyone be told to eat less kale, spinach, broccoli. I do it almost every day

Edited by Tortorella's Rant
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Chicken. said:

The human body has remarkable resilience.. I am sure he is not functioning optimally lol 

I feel like everyone has an example

of people chugging back pop, a friend of mine regularly has 3 monster energy drinks a day. I barely have 1 a month and still feel gross after. 

“3 monsters for $6 man such a good deal!!”

Here here

my employee (construction) during a work day easily has two full size energy drinks, nos or monster, every day not including Gatorades and his pre and post workout drinks which are full of caffeine, sugar and whatever other messed up ingredients there are.  He is only 22.

im 43 and I can do the whole day plus exercise and never touch that crap.

And ya.  The feeling and taste in my mouth after even a small red bull is gross.

imo energy drinks should be illegal.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, riffraff said:

Here here

my employee (construction) during a work day easily has two full size energy drinks, nos or monster, every day not including Gatorades and his pre and post workout drinks which are full of caffeine, sugar and whatever other messed up ingredients there are.  He is only 22.

im 43 and I can do the whole day plus exercise and never touch that crap.

And ya.  The feeling and taste in my mouth after even a small red bull is gross.

imo energy drinks should be illegal.

Lol.

I remember a long time ago when Red Bull was first starting out.  And they had girls drive around and hand out free cans of it.  Was playing beach volleyball at the time and worked up quite the sweat.  Girls came along and passed out Red Bull cans.  First time I ever tried it.  Opened it up in front of them, took a big gulp and immediately spat it out.  It tasted so gross that I poured it out into the sand.  Drank water instead.  Lol.  Girls were not happy.

::D

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BPA said:

Lol.

I remember a long time ago when Red Bull was first starting out.  And they had girls drive around and hand out free cans of it.  Was playing beach volleyball at the time and worked up quite the sweat.  Girls came along and passed out Red Bull cans.  First time I ever tried it.  Opened it up in front of them, took a big gulp and immediately spat it out.  It tasted so gross that I poured it out into the sand.  Drank water instead.  Lol.  Girls were not happy.

::D

I don’t mind red bull in its smallest can

but the others are gross.

2nd week of Intermittent fasting (noon-8pm).  Combined with weights Monday + Tuesday + Thursday + Friday and cardio on Wednesday + Saturday.  Sunday is my rest day.  Today was a bit much.  Biked to work and ran a 5km before noon. 

9 minutes ago, BPA said:

2nd week of Intermittent fasting (noon-8pm).  Combined with weights Monday + Tuesday + Thursday + Friday and cardio on Wednesday + Saturday.  Sunday is my rest day.  Today was a bit much.  Biked to work and ran a 5km before noon. 

Don't injure yourself.

If you're being that active, make sure you are drinking lots of water, good food and as much sleep as possible. 

Otherwise, good job man. That's quite the schedule.