The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Cory Schneider's Performance in the 2013 Playoffs Change the Goalie Situation in Vancouver?

I'm not going to disappear because I'm a Canucks fan first. If at any point, Luongo can put together a decent run of games where he is definitively better than Schneider then he has my full support. I said the same thing 3 long years ago though and it hasn't happened yet. And I'm not expecting Lu to dominate every single game he plays, I just expect him to be able to claim his crease if he's given 3 years to do it.

Playoff stats. Where it matters most...

Cory chocked just admit it. He has as many wins as panic attacks.

And he's played 10 playoff games. Started at least six. Two this year. Three last year and started game six vs hawks.

We would have won win lui in net. The team just woke up by the end of game two and on wards

Well we're on the same boat as canucks fans. Honestly I had converted and had trust in Cory... but he was just terrible compared to lui the last two games.

Hopefully one of them is gone as soon as trades are allowed to resume.

OK a couple of others have addressed this now but I'll reiterate.

You are actually counting the 5 games where in four of them he came in late to try and hold the fort, after another Lu meltdown?. And the other one where his legs cramped up on a tying goal, so Lu come in and loses the game? LOL. Thanks for reminding us of how unreliable Lu is in the playoffs. At any rate, those 5 games are accredited to Lu as loss.

There were 5 playoff games accredited to Cory like I said. And thats coming in cold and/or coming off injury. And in those 5 games he had a .922 sv% average.

I admit that Cory is unproven, but IMHO he's shown enough to make me a believer. While Lu actually IS proven. Proven he's not reliable in the playoffs for a long run.

I'm still here Apollo, just don't see any point in trying to change your mind. You are a dyed in the wool fan , without an ounce of goaltending knowledge who refutes every attempt to educate you. I respect, even admire your dedication even though all the stats prove Lou is no longer #1 on the Canucks, or playing to his past level. He is a middle of the pack goaltender now, with declining skills, who still can have the odd great game. However, he is your hero, and we are all fine with that.

I was starting to agree with u until the playoffs. Cory destroyed any faith I had gained in him. Hopefully he earns it back because I see no reason why The Saga would want to remain a canuck after being spat on again and benched for games three and four.

I'm still here Apollo, just don't see any point in trying to change your mind. You are a dyed in the wool fan , without an ounce of goaltending knowledge who refutes every attempt to educate you. I respect, even admire your dedication even though all the stats prove Lou is no longer #1 on the Canucks, or playing to his past level. He is a middle of the pack goaltender now, with declining skills, who still can have the odd great game. However, he is your hero, and we are all fine with that.

I agree that Schneider was not great in the playoffs. He was tentative and not moving as well as normal. I believe he was trying to protect his injury. However, you can't discount him , he had a poor 3rd period in his first game but was very good in first two periods..and gave up 3 power play goals in his second. 5 on 5 he was very good. Lou played well but he is now the backup and only played because of Schneider's injury. Mg said today, highly unlikely Lou will return next year. Time to move on sir....an era has passed.

And Lu's record over the same amount of games? 2 losses against SJ, 2 losses against LA, game 7 and game 6 loss against Boston. Last time I checked, 16% is higher than 0%. And you still haven't answered my original question.

Ironically, the reason the Canucks lost the last 2 seasons in round 1 has very little to do with goaltending.

They can't score when it matters. Even when the Canucks had the lead against SJ, they would lose all the momentum by taking penalties. In 2012 they couldn't beat LA's stifling defense, and they were thrown around like rag dolls.

It's hilarious that despite all the mediocre play by the Canucks forwards, incomplete games, poor defensive coverage and stupid penalties, everyone is still talking about the damn goalies.

Guess what: The goalies on this team are both good goalies. If the team in front of them didn't play like absolute clowns most of the time, they will win nearly all the time.

People are ragging on Schneider for not having experience. Well, there's only one way to get experience, and that's by playing. If you look at the established young goalies in the league, they were given the reins and ran with it. I expect no less from Schneider. He's a professional and has the skills to be the #1.

Luongo will move on, and he will be successful where he ends up. I am not going to feel remorse, he had his time here and he was brilliant. However, all good things must come to an end. Schneider's contract is much better for the Canucks long term.

Archived