The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Edler, What Happened?

MashedBananas

Okay, normally I'm a positive fan. I always try to find the light in losing, but to be perfectly honest, Marleau's goal completely shattered any positivity I have in this series. We looked terrible for crying out loud!!! In fact, for most of the series we've looked horrific! The Sharks have walked all over us. There have been many problems with this team. I want to point out one of the biggest ones. As much as I want Gillis gone, I'll save my rant for him. No, I want to point out one person in particular who's stood out to me and a lot of others in terms of being just plain awful.

Alexander Edler.

I don't know why, but on the ice, he's been one of the worst defenseman I've ever seen, and I've been a Canucks fan for 18 years. Break down game 2, 1st Sharks goal, Thornton scores right in front of Luongo. Edler was right there, all he had to do was lift Thornton's stick and the chance would have been gone. In stead, he tries knocking him to the ice, and what happens? Thornton scores. Fast forward to the second Shark goal. While most of the blame goes to Hansen and Henrik on this one, Edler should get some too. He was the closest Canuck to the puck, and he went down to block a shot/pass that wasn't going in the net, and ended up deflecting it in front, giving the Sharks the chance. Of course, because he was down for the block, he couldn't get back up and try to pry the puck out of the crease, allowing Marleau to get the tap in. Third goal, he tried pinching in OT, sees Burns coming towards him, and in stead of playing the puck around the boards, he tries shooting it, only to have it blocked, leading to the 2 on 1. I'm not going to ponder the what ifs, but he was responsible in some way for all three goals against us, and even though he threw the body, he still looked bad.

He wasn't always this way though. In fact last year, he was one of my favourite Canucks! Sure, he wasn't our best defensive defender, but he could at least do his job. Not only that, but he could spark the offense too with his 49 points he got that season! He's one of the very few defensemen who's brought me to my feet cheering. Then the Kings happened. While he did score 2 goals in that series, Edler looked AWFUL!!! He looked so bad in that series, and was a contributing factor to our loss. In the off season, he re-signed for 5m a season, and I, like many others, was incredibly happy and this deal and I considered it one hell of a steal. But this season happened. This year, Edler's been different. He's been so inconsistent, and even though he put up points, all year he's easily been our worst defender on the team. He can't seem to defend to save his life, making stupid plays along the boards, bad passes, etc. Ballard and Tanev outplayed badly him for crying out loud!!! Garrison had a pretty slow start, but proved to be far more valuable than Edler this season, scoring just as many goals, and finishing the season with a +18 compared to Edler's career regular season low of -2. He just STUNK. I don't know why he hasn't been benched, but he deserves it. But that LA series just changed Eddie. He used to be so good before that series happened. So, all I'm wondering is what was it about that series that changed him? What did the Kings do? (Aside from beat us in 5 games. :P ) I miss the old Eddie, the one who brought me to my feet with a hit or a goal.

(For the record, I'm not saying Edler is the sole reason that we're down 3-0 btw, not even close. This whole team, save Luongo, has played like garbage *cough Sedins and Roy cough*. Edler has just been a big factor to that garbage.)

Its very simple.

He had an off year in this shortened season, no surprise. The shortened season does that.

Off years have happened to people in the past and will happen to people again in the future. Its too early to give up on this guy, far far too early. Cause for example we could bring in another coach and hes right back where he was last year.

I don't see why we should give up on him so easily. Alot of his poor performance is overblown anyways.

Bad Back maybe??? He seems a lot less mobile out there now, he wasn't the quickest before but no he just seems slower in all aspect of his game...

Also he's kinda a shy quite guy so maybe confidence issues and playing in the lime light is tough for him...Just thoughts

Here's my theory on Edler. I thought that last year he was having his best season as a Canuck for about the first 3 quarters of the season. He really improved his positioning and using his size to keep forwards out of the scoring spots.

I think the main issue is his d-partner. Why on earth would AV pair him with Bieksa who he has almost NEVER played well with. Their styles don't match well at all and they are both our most mistake-prone defensemen. So why couldn't AV let him develop some chemistry with a solid defensive partner like Garrison? And why did he split up Hamhuis - Bieksa? That was one of the best shutdown pairings in the league at one point and was critical to getting us to the finals in 2011. He's also being given too many minutes buy our coach, there's no way he should be playing 28 minutes a game which is for ELITE defensemen. Something around 22-23 minutes a game for him would be fine but I feel as if the coach isn't granting him minutes based on his play rather than hoping he's going to be the #1 defenseman we expect. With a new coach and a better partner on defense I still think he could be a great defenseman for us. I love the size and physicality he possesses.

Its very simple.

He had an off year in this shortened season, no surprise. The shortened season does that.

Off years have happened to people in the past and will happen to people again in the future. Its too early to give up on this guy, far far too early. Cause for example we could bring in another coach and hes right back where he was last year.

I don't see why we should give up on him so easily. Alot of his poor performance is overblown anyways.

This.

Edler was excellent when paired with ol' reliable Sami Salo.

In this series, with the abysmal Bieksa coughing up the puck, making poor reads, and generally just getting knocked off the puck like a drunken bowling pin against a wrecking ball, it brings out the worst in Edler.

Edler should be paired with Tanev (when he's healthy), or even the underrated defensively responsible Garrison on his off-side, though it'd take away some of Garrison's offense.

Man, I was at the game Friday behind the net, and it was insane how casual / nonchalant Edler was with the puck trying to get it out of our zone. Absolutely 0 urgency, and of course since he's so slow / casual he gets forechecked and in trouble right away.

That pretty much sums up his season though. One of our worst defensemen in his own end this season. I hope he just was injured or having an off year, not that he just doesn't care anymore now that he has his big contract and is set for life.

I'm the biggest Alex Edler fan there is, but even now I'm starting to question his abilities. Back when he first broke into the league, he was basically playing the way Chris Tanev played now. Calm, collected, yet with offensive flair. "Automatic" Alex, remember?

At first, physicality was missing from his game, then came the 2010 series against the Kings and he was pretty much the best player on the Canucks after Mikael Samuelsson. The year after, he continued his strong play all the way to the finals.

Then last year's playoff, then his back surgery and now he's a former shadow of his past self. While we all like to think that Edler is still a young defenseman and that he can still improve, his play is actually regressing. Were Mattias Ohlund, Sami Salo and Christian Ehrhoff the reason for Edler's success in the past?

Edler has always sucked, always. Fans are just now noticing his play because it is losing us games. His game hasn't changed, it's his Swedish luck that has run its course. He won't be getting better, he is what he is.

Archived