The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We will regret the way this franchise treated Roberto Luongo

BigRedMachine

I love how the OP puts "We" in the equation as if the fans are responsible for this gongshow. The fans treated him great, maybe not the internet fans here but if you actually go to a few games and see the jerseys and hear the cheers and chants for him... no i don't regret nothing and i'm sure Lou doesn't either.

Now management on the other hand could have some issues long term and regrets could very well happen with them!

I regret LUongo turned in Cloutier and wasn;t trade sooner.

Always lets the opponets back into the game with a minute remaining. Not mention the oppents never give up cause you know Lu will let in a softy to give you a chance for the win.

I was thinking that Kadri and Gardiner would still be there as it was reported that they were never a serious option, only from Gillis' standpoint but not from the Leafs end of things.

Reimer has played great these playoffs and could very well be the goalie there for a good career ahead. At the start of the season i don't think it was as easy of a choice and i'm sure they would have loved to have Lui back there.

exactly if Lu is as good as apollo thinks he is there wouldve been a bidding war for him..... but he isnt even a top 10 goalie anymore... thus no one wants to give up anything for him. .. its no ones fault other than luongo that we got in this goalie mess .. maybe he shouldtnve gotten outplayed by his back up and everything wouldve been fine.

Luongo will be traded/bought out and go win a cup elsewhere, has trading a star/franchise player EVER worked out well for the Canucks? no. Trading him will be yet another mistake in this franchise's history.

I honestly dont think they treated him badly whatsoever. It was in fact Luongo that initiated the idea of being traded in the first place. The fact that Luongo is still here is simply neither Gillis nor Luongo were satisfied with the destination or the return.

Luongo displayed this season, that he has a lot of value and is a number 1. He just isnt a number 1 here.

Luongo has acted like nothing but a true professional this season. He's a smart guy, he has learned a lot in his time here, and his growth is evident. He knows that his demeaner and professionalism are constantly on display from the media, and as much as some people may not think so, a players attitude and personality are always a huge part of a team wanting a player.

The biggest problem with your lengthy rant? There is a lot of speculation. From Cory's workload being a reason for his injury heading to the end of the season, to the reasoning behind Luongo not getting traded in the off season. Luongo had the final say on where he was traded, and from what I have heard he nixed more than one possible trade. On top of that, there is always a limited market for a starting goal tender, further making the trade difficult. And at the deadline there just were not any real buyers to be found.

Schnieders play against LA in last seasons playoffs was nothing short of remakable, whereas Luongos (who wasnt losing us the series by any means), was simply ordinary. He practically willed the team back into the series. Schnieder showed this season that making him a starter was in fact a good decision. He did struggle in his first game against SJ but played very well in game 2.

I didnt agree with AV putting in Cory for game 3, but had it worked like it did last season, he would have looked like a genius. It didnt, but the fact that the Canucks didnt win, was neither goalies fault.

The fact of the matter is his contract is nowhere near as bad as the media and uneducated fans make it out to be. He only has 5 seasons left at his current salary of 6.7 mill (5.3 cap hit), after that its 3.4 for 1 year, then 1 mill for the remaining years of his contract. So in 4 years he becomes very movable (if the situation didnt work out, and no, no trade clauses do not transfer) and in the following years his remaining years become very sought after by a team looking to reach the cap but not looking to spend.

Luongo has shown a consistency over his career that parallels the best goalies to have played the game. And thus the idea he can continue to play at a high level for many more years is certainly a good bet.

I think the idea that management had mistreated Luongo is completely over blown by the media, and then regurgitated by the fans. The fact is the Canucks are actually known league wide as treating their players very well, and were voted as one of the top 5 teams players would like to play for (and yes I can find the source if you want.)

We may not get the return we would like for Luongo, but there is certainly a market for him. Philly, Isles, Devils, Panthers will all possibly have interest in his sevices.

I appreciate Luongo and all he has done here and his accomplishments, but sometimes you need to move in a different direction, and the Canucks have made that decision, and they will continue to work with Luongo on finding him a situation that works for both parties involved.

Yea woulda been nice to get blown out games one n two vs sharks? And then game 3 when he bailed out Cory and made two or three monster saves... guess u wuda preferred to lose that game 7-2 or 8-2

I think they treated him pretty well until this off season. It would have been better for the franchise that he was moved.

I do not feel one bit sorry for Luongo. This is a business and Luongo comes out of this with over 60 million reason to feel good. He doesn't need his ego stroked.

I dont agree with lou's cult like status with his fanbase on here, frankly at times I think its sad when I hear people are emotionally upset themselves because of how hes being treated. With that said, they are loyal. I respect that.

What I do not respect is how every other fan base now loves him, it started with the eastern media when rumors of him to toronto started, eastern media started painting him as this hostage, with such a great attitude while evil empire vancouver canucks spit on him, his buddy duthie started posting a ton of his tweets, the media began feeling sorry for him.

My point is when he played for us, everyone talked crap about him, the 7oungo jokes, the tire pumping comments getting blown out of proportion by the media, now suddenly since he wants out from the evil canucks, every other fan base loves him, canucks are awful, and this is coming from flames, oiler, hawks fans elsewhere. I even have friends in real life who openly made fun of him for years, now claiming they are just the biggest fans.

This fan base must have really pissed off a lot of fan bases in 2011, where everyone hates our guts that much. I even see bruin fans claiming they are suddenly big fans of his.

The sad part in this outside fan bases now believe schneider is the evil guy playing favorites sucking up to management, and our entire fan base gives schneider a free pass (which is not true at all) and when in fact lou and schneider stuck together this entire season and stood up for each other when the rest of the team did not show up.

Archived