The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We will regret the way this franchise treated Roberto Luongo

BigRedMachine

the fans and the media are the ones who treated lu with disrespect, the same way they treat everyone in the organization when they feel let down somewhat. everyone here deserves our respect...it doesn't mean they can't be traded or fired but they pour more energy and effort into their jobs than any of us have ever invested in anything we've done....

Always great to see people saying Lu couldn't win a cup without any mention of the team in front of him scoring NO goals in the finals.

You wanna hate on Lu? Go for it.. But your post makes you sound like you're just bitter and emotional.

You have no objectivity towards Luongo Smurf47. You've been spewing Lu-hate forever and it has been largely unwarranted. So this message to Apollo reeks of hypocrisy. Luongo was the superior goalie this playoff and Schneider was awful. He should have never been in the net. For me it was the final move AV made that made me want a coaching change.

I think the best way for this to work itself out is to trade Cory and keep Lou. As soon as management gave Luo that contract,and with the lockout, we are stuck with him. If the owner gets rid of MG and AV then Luo might not have a problem If I was the owner that is what I would do. If I have to eat some of Luos contract then I rather do it while he stops the puck for our team not another one.

Have you notice lately goalies can steal a series and games? lou did it in 2011, but not at the finals he got too cocky chirping off about Tim Thomas's positioning and style and cleary lou was out played by him. And goals are nice but playoff games are not always about who can score the most goals. Its about getting ahead and staying ahead even if its 2-1 or a shut out, I remember alot of low scoring games in the playoffs were teams would buckle down and didn't allow these blowouts you see today. Its not even fun to watch anymore, IMO I would rather see low scoring games, with great forchecking in your face hockey the way hockey is suppose to be playing. This is canada's game and gary betts is sure working hard to change that. At least with a close game you know it could have went either way, not total domination by a team but hey what are refs for :P. As far as lou being mistreated well that is bs, He has been with this team for a long time now and it seems to me he needs to move on. The Canucks organization wants to get younger and stronger that is what is needed and it will be addressed this summer.

Free agents from around the league that respect players like Luongo will never want to sign here. I dont get it. From AV to MG. I've always been an MG fan but Lu doesnt deserve this and majority of the players around the league know it.

And - we also learned that there were those who DID wanna come here. Torres went to SJ... but he also indicated when interviewed by local media - that he would have welcomed the opportunity to return & play with his old mates in VanCity. Instead...he ended up playing for the Sharks & against the 'Nucks in round 1..and by chance or by design Torres did NOT cross-any-line or play a dirty game...nor did he physically harm any of his former teammates.

Nope.When Cory was stinking out the net early this year the media started questioning mgmt and Cory.

Gillis trotted out and made an appearance on the TEAM1040 to support Cory.

Gillis used the media and allowed Luo to be thrown under the bus,never supported him and Luo was ostracized to the point of exhaustion.

Gillis did the same thing to Hodgson.

That is the Gillis way.

Schneider was our guy this year. Even though Lu was playing well in the playoffs - he didn't win us any games. The only true line shakeup we had was Schneids to help spark our team. I was disappointed with his play but I honestly don't think Lu would have gotten us any more wins. Perhaps the team was nervous about him being in net instead of Schneids. Who knows.

I think Lu has been treated very respectfully. Perhaps too much so. I think some of our potential trade deals were passed on because they didn't pay enough tribute to him. I think MG was steadfast in not letting anyone undermine Lu by underpaying for him. A less respected goalie would have been gone a year ago.

I am going to preface this by saying that I am not a Luongo fanboy. Far from it. I have actually been fairly critical of him in the past. That being said, I think the Canucks management his completely botched this goalie situation and turned what should have been an asset into a complete liability.

I am have been a fan for more than long enough to remember what a goalie graveyard this franchise has been, particularly between the departure of Kirk McLean, and the arrival of Roberto Luongo. We went through a number of goalies, including Garth Snow, Kevin Weekes, Alex Auld, Dan Cloutier, Felix Potvin, Johan Hedberg and Arturs Irbe, to name but a few. Some of those were never cut out to be number one goalies, but some had decent careers outside of Vancouver. Something about this franchise seemed to sap the confidence of our goalies.

When Luongo arrived, he brought some stability between the pipes in Vancouver that we hadn't had for a long time. While he has never won the Vezina, he has certainly turned in some memorable performances, and is probably the best goaltender to ever put on the Canucks uniform to date.

In 2009, Gillis decided to sign him to a front-end loaded 12 year contract with a no-trade clause. I'm not sure why management chose to handcuff themselves in that way, but you would think this would indicate that they saw him as their #1 goaltender for the forseeable future.

Cory Schneider's development into a top notch goaltender provided the Canucks with an embarassment of riches in net. Yet somehow, management squandered that advantage.

During the 2012 series with the Kings, the Canucks decided to switch horses mid-stream, and start Schneider over Luongo. It wasn't like Luongo's play was costing us the series, but I guess they figured a fresh face in net might kick-start our non-existent offence. It didn't.

There was no reason to treat that change as permanent, but the Canucks organization did. For reasons unknown to me, they made it clear Schneider was their guy from here on in, and Luongo wasn't wanted.

Nonetheless, Gillis seemed to have some pretty unrealistic expectations about what he might get in return for a guy with 10 years left on his contract and a significant cap hit. So, at the start of the season in 2013, Roberto Luongo was still a Canuck.

Management then did a whole song and dance about how we had two #1's, even though it was pretty clear they were shopping Luongo. And after alternating them for awhile, they essentially elected to bench Luongo for no obvious reason. Schneider had the better numbers , but Luongo was playing well, had the hot hand in February, and certainly deserved to start at least as often as any other NHL backup would. And why you wouldn't want to showcase a guy you are trying to trade is beyond me. Anyway, management chose to play Schneider almost exclusively down the stretch, which may very well have contributed to his getting injured toward the end of the season.

So with Schneider injured and then sick, Luongo gets the start against the Sharks. Despite playing well in Games 1 and 2, the Canucks again decide to switch horses mid-stream, and start Schneider, who hasn't played in two weeks and is recovering from injury and illness, in a must-win game. The result was pretty predictable. In the post-game press conference, Vigneault pretty much throws Schneider under the bus and doesn't take any responsibility for his own boneheaded decision. In the post-season press conference Gilis made it pretty clear that he still plans to move Luongo.

I think both goalies dealt with this crappy situation with class throughout. It was clear they both wanted the situation over and done with, but there was hardly a complaint throughout. Management, on the other hand, has inflamed the controversy at nearly every opportunity. I think they've actually managed to undermine the self-confidence of both of their goalies, and I wouldn't be surprised if both of them have soured significantly on the Canucks organization. He's certainly managed to reduce Luongo's trade value even further.

Quite frankly, I think management has dealt with one of our all-time greatest players in a callous and high-handed way, and in the process done a disservice to Roberto, to the fans, and to the organization. They could have dealt with this situation in a way that left allot less bad blood all around.

As I watched the Canucks try to mend fences with Pavel Bure (who was similarly run out of town) this season, it occurred to me that while we were re-building one bridge, we were burning down another. I get the feeling we are going to look back on this fiasco someday in a similar light.

I wish Roberto all the best in the future. I wish the best of luck to Cory Schneider: he will need it in dealing with this franchise, its often unrealistic fan base, and its quite frankly incompetent management. Here's hoping we don't become another goalie graveyard.

what do you mean by unrealistic fan base... lu was suppose to take us to the promise land and win it... thats why he was given the big contract.... im tired of giving to multi million dollar players who can't deliver under pressure..... sorry if that comment is unrealistic for you....

Archived