The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We will regret the way this franchise treated Roberto Luongo

BigRedMachine

Not every thread needs to be about whether Cory or Lou is the better goalie. In this case I really just meant to spark some discussion about how Lou was treated by coach and management. In some ways, they mishandled Cory as well. I was disgusted by how AV threw Cory under the bus in the press conference after Game 3, rather than taking responsibility for his own boneheaded decision to start a guy cold who hadn't played in weeks due to illness and injury in a must-win game, over a guy who played great in the two previous games. And that's not a slight on Cory. That's a slight on AV for throwing him into a virtually no win scenario, and then crapping on him after.

Yea woulda been nice to get blown out games one n two vs sharks? And then game 3 when he bailed out Cory and made two or three monster saves... guess u wuda preferred to lose that game 7-2 or 8-2

Come on man... you gotta be kidding me. Cory was god awful game three and the tying and winning goal of game four were amateur stops he DID NOT make....

Luongo wasnt phenomenal ill admit that ... but he was good enough to win games 1-4 ... Cory wasn't good enough.

Apollo is a huge fan of Lu so its hard to convince him of the big picture. Damn, my favorite d is edler but even Im ok with trading him as we have too many of his type of d on the team.

Btw Apollo when Lu gets dealt are you going to be a fanboy of his new team?

Not every thread needs to be about whether Cory or Lou is the better goalie. In this case I really just meant to spark some discussion about how Lou was treated by coach and management. In some ways, they mishandled Cory as well. I was disgusted by how AV threw Cory under the bus in the press conference after Game 3, rather than taking responsibility for his own boneheaded decision to start a guy cold who hadn't played in weeks due to illness and injury in a must-win game, over a guy who played great in the two previous games. And that's not a slight on Cory. That's a slight on AV for throwing him into a virtually no win scenario, and then crapping on him after.

I'm not sure i agree with you about management. What did management do but over valued him also gave him a huge contract that made him super rich. What did av and the coach staff do? They assessed the players daily and figured Cory has the better tools at his age. It sucks but this is a business based in winning. The only thing you can complain is management predicted his value wrong and gave him too much respect. But to say Lu was treated bad? I think you out to lunch here. I can see that if you say AV treated Ballard wrong but I don't know why you would say that about Lu. It wasn't AVs fault that Gillis kept Lu this season to hold out for a better offer.

Cory wasnt that great vs LA? Are you kidding? .960 sv % and a 1.3 gaa, stopping 97 of 101 shots, 18 of which were short handed. Luongo gave up 3 short handed goals on the same amount of shots.

Luongo was very good in game 1, but his first goal against in game 1 of that series was from the goal line. God like indeed.

Game 2 he gives up 2 SH goals and you think he was great? Your goalie needs to make timely saves, he did none of that in game 2.

How exactly did Cory choke in game 5 OT? You mean when Hamhius coughed up the puck at the blue line and gave Stoll a breakaway, and an opportunity to shoot from 5 feet out and put it right under the bar?

Apparently you wear Luongos jock as an eye patch, cause you clearly missed a whole lot.

Man o man you must be seriously crying into your Hello kitty pillow every night at the thought of your man crush getting moved out of town. Is it the hair that does it for you? It must be the hair...

Seriously, can we all just stop?! Luo's had bad games, and so has Cory. Neither is a god. No goalie is going to win every game or make every save. They will always have bad games and miss saves they would wish they hadn't. Most nights, either have given their team a good chance to win so there's really no need to hate on either Luo or Cory.

Cory played better in the LA series, but it still didn't get us more than 1 win. Luo played better in the SJ series, but it still didn't get us a win. If the Team Cory and Team Luo people really have to trade comparisons, Luo was better in the LA series (.921 and .846) than Cory was in the SJ series (.821 and .915). But so what? We didn't get past the first round in either.

Yes, we need our goalie to make key saves, but we need our team to do their part. We need D to clear out rebounds, prevent breakaways, and take their freaking man in front of the net. And we need our forwards to keep puck possession, help out the D when needed, and freaking SCORE. Team Cory or Team Luo, either gives Team Canucks a fighting chance most nights. We don't need to fight amongst ourselves or to pretend we need a death match goalie battle, we just need a team who will take the chance their goalie gives them and fight for the win.

Cory wasnt that great vs LA? Are you kidding? .960 sv % and a 1.3 gaa, stopping 97 of 101 shots, 18 of which were short handed. Luongo gave up 3 short handed goals on the same amount of shots.

Luongo was very good in game 1, but his first goal against in game 1 of that series was from the goal line. God like indeed.

Game 2 he gives up 2 SH goals and you think he was great? Your goalie needs to make timely saves, he did none of that in game 2.

How exactly did Cory choke in game 5 OT? You mean when Hamhius coughed up the puck at the blue line and gave Stoll a breakaway, and an opportunity to shoot from 5 feet out and put it right under the bar?

Apparently you wear Luongos jock as an eye patch, cause you clearly missed a whole lot.

Man o man you must be seriously crying into your Hello kitty pillow every night at the thought of your man crush getting moved out of town. Is it the hair that does it for you? It must be the hair...

I've been say that basically from the beginning...giving the starters job to someone who hasn't played 50 NHL games over an Olympic Gold Medalist , 2 time World championship Gold medalist and a Silver , World Cup Gold medalist and Silver at the World Juniors.....oh yeah and the winningest goalie in team history and 1 of only 3 players to make the Finals...........I hope Roberto is successful where he goes but I hope it doesnt come back to bite us in the ass....and I sure wouldnt be opposed to a Cory trade....higher return value...but there is no way Lu is going to forgive those idiots in management

They all get contracts that make them super rich. What does that have to do with anything? Cory's getting PAID too. In fact, he's getting paid as much as Rask and more than Anderson (to name a few.) His cap hit is only $1.33M lower than Luongo's despite the fact that he's unproven, has only 1 playoff win, and has never played a full season as a starter. My point? They're all in it for the money. The NHL isn't a charity. Lets go back a bit...Cory's win percentage was down, agreed, but so was Lou's...he started 18 games , won 9, lost 6, and 3 in OT. If you are going to quote stats, it would be more accurate if you compared apples to apples. Don't forget to add in SP and GAA averages from each season as well. Bottom line is, the team has opted for Schneider, argue all you want.

And no, the coaches were not accessing the players daily and deciding each day that Cory was better than Luo. He played better in 3 games in the playoffs and got crowned the starter. It was incredibly disrespectful to Luo, who had been signed here to be the starter.

Furthermore, it's not actually true (at least thus far) that Cory as the starter gives us a better sustained chance to win. In this shortened season, Cory started 30 games and won 56.7% of them. Last season, Luo started 54 games won 57.4% of them. Being that Luo started almost twice as many games last season as Cory started this season, that 0.7% difference isn't likely significant either way. In fact, there's a bigger difference between Cory's own win rate last season compared to this season. Last year Cory started 28 games and won 20, for a 71.4% win percentage. This season he actually won fewer games despite having more starts.

It is true, however, that Luo has been disrespected here repeatedly. Just this season he was he left in for games he should have been pulled from, whereas Cory was pulled to protect his stats whenever it was obvious he was struggling. That's an especially big FU when the team in front of him sucked and gave him no help at all. (Think of our last home game!) And then of course there's the patten of replacing him in hopes that it will shake up the team (according to AV's own words.) He was benched for game 3 in the LA series, despite the team's lackluster play and low scoring being the real problem, because AV said he hoped the change of goalie would wake the team up, giving them the best chance to win. (Fun fact: Luo made 35 saves and got a .921 SV% in game 1 against LA. The team still failed to win. Not so fun fact: In game 2 the team was awful, giving up 2 SHG and a PPG. Can a goalie get some D?)

The disrespect continued when the very next year that so-called logic was reversed and Luo was sat after game 2 of the SJ series, with AV saying that Cory was the starter and as such deserved the start even though he'd been injured for almost 2 weeks and hadn't had sufficient practice time. So, despite Luo putting up good numbers and easily being the best Canuck on the ice in both games, he was sat because the starter "deserved" to start, whereas just the year before he was the starter but was still sat because AV said it was about what was best for the team, not who deserved what. To make matters worse, that plan didn't work any better against SJ than it did against LA because the goalie wasn't the problem in either series.

By benching him in the LA series, it was like the coaches were blaming Luo for the team's failure. Then, when Cory (who did play very well and ended up with better stats, aided by the team's better play) happened to be in net for their only win and (significantly) the only game in that series the team scored 3 goals in, he was deemed the team's savior and Luo was tossed aside like last week's leftovers. Cory was in net for the exact same number of loses as Luo, but unlike Luo he wasn't blamed for them.

Instead, Cory was told he somehow earned the starter position simply because he was the one in net for the game in which the team played the best and scored the most goals, which in turn told the team their level of play was acceptable now that we had a new, "better" starter. And look how well that theory worked out. Cory was also in net for the only game in which we managed to score 3 goals in the SJ series and we still lost. Why? Because it's equally true now as it was then that, regardless of which is in net, the goalie isn't the problem with this team. And disrespecting Luo by shifting the blame to him hadn't done a damn thing to change that fact.

No thank u I prefer he kept his jock strap for protection.

People have been saying he'll be gone for over a year now... yet he's still here and outplayed Cory BY FAR in the playoffs this year.

And I agree Cory was great in game five... and hamhuis shudnt have coughed up the puck... but he shuda made that save

Thinking back at it... he was actually very good in game three and four of that series.

Way too many Lu fan boys here. Feel sorry for you guys instead of supporting the future Canucks goalie you just going to cirticize every little detail I bet. You guys act like he's Mark Messier.

Look at Ottawa, 53 mil payroll and made it pass first round. Way too much focus on goaltending here bc of the fan boys. I've stated whoever stays I would support bc I'm a "real" Canucks fan. You fakes should go support whatever team Lu goes to.

Archived