The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We will regret the way this franchise treated Roberto Luongo

BigRedMachine

I will miss Luongo, and I'm sure the Canucks will regret losing him years down the road.. I also think he will see a Stanley cup before this team ever does.

I don't have trust in Schneider, especially after the recent playoff games. He's a good goalie no doubt, and he played solid in game #4 but I don't believe he is quite on the level that Luongo is. If we are talking which player would take us to the cup sooner it would be Luongo.

Schneids hasn't even played a full season as a starter, the canucks are making a gigantic gamble with him as a starter. We should have kept with the original plan and kept Luongo until his retirement. Sucks we treated him the way we did, he deserved better. Rogers Arena will be a sad place without the "Luu" chants now.

The real thing that matters is what Cory thinks of how the organization treated his friend Lou. In two years he is an Unrestricted free agent who is American.

So ask yourself this....would you sign a long term contract with a team in another country who screwed your friend and if he did he would need to get a raise which would make him higher paid with a bigger cap hit. My guess is that in two years Cory is gone for nothing in return.

Vancouver fans deserve the mediocrity that comes with the Canucks franchise. Gillis and AV are completely useless to the Team and need to go, long before Luongo goes.

And Lu, well he deserves to play for a decent team, one that values his ability and doesn't try to sweep him under the rug. Good luck Lu, wherever you end up.

Schneids will be the mediocre goal tender that backstops the mediocre team that MIGHT make the playoffs next year.

Man, how difficult it is to be a fan of bumblers, fools and amateurs.

I think the best way for this to work itself out is to trade Cory and keep Lou. As soon as management gave Luo that contract,and with the lockout, we are stuck with him. If the owner gets rid of MG and AV then Luo might not have a problem If I was the owner that is what I would do. If I have to eat some of Luos contract then I rather do it while he stops the puck for our team not another one.

Vancouver fans deserve the mediocrity that comes with the Canucks franchise. Gillis and AV are completely useless to the Team and need to go, long before Luongo goes.

And Lu, well he deserves to play for a decent team, one that values his ability and doesn't try to sweep him under the rug. Good luck Lu, wherever you end up.

Schneids will be the mediocre goal tender that backstops the mediocre team that MIGHT make the playoffs next year.

Man, how difficult it is to be a fan of bumblers, fools and amateurs.

Schneids has outplayed Lou, is younger, lower cap hit, higher skill level at this point in their careers, and Lou--whether you want to believe it or not--has shown over and over again that he is not up to the task when it matters...

GMMG has made all the right moves with respect to trading Lou, yet here we are with our 20/20 hindsight saying how he has mishandled the entire thing. SMH.

Had nonis made the trade luongo would have stole the series from the bruins ... oh and MG would be fired. Scrivens as our goalie for games one and two would have been blowouts .... although its hard to believe scrivens could have played worse than Cory in game three

To this date I still want to know why AV decided to start Cory:

a. when Luongo was not the main reason the Canucks were down 2-0 in the Kings series, and

b. when Luongo again was not the main reason the Canucks were down 2-0 in this year series, and Cory was not 100%.

Obviously AV treated him like trash, forgetting Luongo was the reason why he won the Jack Adams in 07.

it seems to me

that very few people know the whole story

regarding Luongo

if he did in fact prevent unfettered trading of himself in 2012 prior to the lockout

then the present mess is largely of his making

he wanted out but appears to have been wearing blinders

which only permitted him to consider Florida

he seems to have received assurances from someone there

that have turned out to be worthless

with the passage of time his trade value appears to have decreased

as the goalie market has been getting softer

there were enough reports of value being offered for him prior to the lockout

that he likely would/could have been moved

but who really knows

we never have been told the entire Bure story

doubt we will ever know the whole Luongo story

I think it's unfair to comment on what type of playoff goalie Schneids is. He has 5 whole games. During 2011 he cramped up and unfortunately goalies don't get a second to compose themselves. If you can't play then and there the other guy gets your spot.

In LA he came in 0-2 and played an incredible 3 games. We couldn't score enough.

This year wasn't as great but frankly, the way the series was going, did you expect anything else?

Lu didn't get us any wins these past two years. You can say he played great and all that but that's for 2 games.

The Boston series was proof that Lu cracks under pressure. During games 5 & 6 the coaches stuck to their guy and that was a mistake. He has had 4 playoff games since and lost them all.

Once Schneids got comfortable this year he was a monster in goal.

When your top goalie is out, and you have a guy that by all rights shouldn't be on the team anymore, you may not play so well in front of him. By the time he got healthy we had ourselves a deep hole and were in the worst possible arena for that situation. Schneids couldn't steal us a game. But Luongo can't either. So when you have two similar goalies obviously you will keep the younger, cheaper and faster one.

Let's give him a real playoff start and see how it goes. If not, there are other goalies in this world.

I totally agree with your post.

I don't know why on earth they handled it like that, they seem to really respond to the media waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much.

And for me, Gillis is a salesman who will say anything to justify his position and make it sound convincing. ...then i step away and think? what a bunch of lies. He has the owners fooled too.

it seems to me

that very few people know the whole story

regarding Luongo

if he did in fact prevent unfettered trading of himself in 2012 prior to the lockout

then the present mess is largely of his making

he wanted out but appears to have been wearing blinders

which only permitted him to consider Florida

he seems to have received assurances from someone there

that have turned out to be worthless

with the passage of time his trade value appears to have decreased

as the goalie market has been getting softer

there were enough reports of value being offered for him prior to the lockout

that he likely would/could have been moved

but who really knows

we never have been told the entire Bure story

doubt we will ever know the whole Luongo story

To this date I still want to know why AV decided to start Cory:

a. when Luongo was not the main reason the Canucks were down 2-0 in the Kings series, and

b. when Luongo again was not the main reason the Canucks were down 2-0 in this year series, and Cory was not 100%.

Obviously AV treated him like trash, forgetting Luongo was the reason why he won the Jack Adams in 07.

this love fest with lu is taking on cult levels....

as a canuck fan who was supporting this team before lu ever played professional hockey, and will continue to support this team long after lu retires.... I just don't get it..

In terms of heart and passion, id take mclean over lu any day. In terms of skill, id take schneids.. Lu was definitely a good goalie, but nothing that would justify this.

(it is also worth remembering, Lu played on the greatest canuck generation ever assembled, and still he couldn't win a cup and was the direct cause of many playoff exits)

Archived