The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We will regret the way this franchise treated Roberto Luongo

BigRedMachine

and one more quick post before i take another 6 months off from feeding the trolls on cdc, anyone that compares kirk mclean to roberto luongo needs to have their head examined. the 94 canucks were an average team that caught fire at the right time. what else did mclean do during his tenure here? look at his career stats, they are actually pretty bad. luongo took us just as far as mclean did. sure lu had an all around better team but i recall a certain player named pavel bure playing in 94.

There is nothing I love more then lu lovers argument:

"LU has no trade value trade schneids to improve teamz!!!!"

When those people just think exactly the reasons why other teams' GM's value cory far more then lu, it really should answer their own question of why keeping cory is the right choice for this franchise. (today and in the future)

Franchise has paid the guy about 50 mill since his arrival. He's on the books for ANOTHER 50 mill to help feather his nest. No point in crying for Mr Luongo.

Shame we couldn't win it all, but oh well... "Regrets" are an emotion to be reserved for other matters, like the NHL hiring Bettman, 2 decades back.

I already regret the way Luongone was treated.

Gillis shoulda just taken the best offer available before the lockout.

Then we wouldn't have every thread turning into a Cory vs Luo thread for 6 months.

Luo asked to be traded. Anything other then sitting at home waiting for a phone call was better then he had any right to expect.

When I think of the Luongo situation in Vancouver, I always come back to one thing - I look at arguably the most successful franchise in modern hockey history (at least in my generation of hockey) - the Red Wings - and I think of how they treat their players, ALL of their players, not just the supposed 'franchise' players or the 'starts'. I never remember hearing about the Red Wings ever treating their players poorly or unfairly - granted I don't know their franchise as well as some, but you simply never hear of the Red Wings doing anything except treating their players with respect and class.

A long time ago GMMG was quoted as saying he wanted to build the Canucks into the type of franchise that would attract elite players and UFA's simply by reputation of how their players are treated. As far as I can judge, he's doing the exact opposite. What UFA is going to want to come here now after this schmozzle?

The defence hasn't been up to snuff. Everyone wants to blame Luongo but imo Edler and Bieksa have been terribly inconsistent throughout their careers here in Vancouver.

Vancouver's mindset, it seems ,has been get a couple goals then sit back and defend the lead expecting your all-star goalie to shut the door. The past five teams that have won the cup have all been offensive power houses that do not defend leads and they don't depend on their goalie to steal critical games, they produce offence.

The problem isn't goal tending, the problem is the teams philosophy which puts too much pressure on the goalies and defence in the fast paced NHL that we have today. The team has the offensive capabilities they just aren't being utilized.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm now who would be at fault for this? Maybe the coach?

Archived