135 replies to this topic

#61 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

Detroit never ceases to amaze me. It doesn't seem to matter who they dress; everyone ends up looking like a Selke candidate on the ice.

"coaching"!!!!

Babcock is a superior strategist and a motivator of talent. He puts players in positions to succeed and employs a system that allows players to be creative yet disciplined. The Nucks have not had a coach that comes close to what Babcock brings. Av's system was to put players into a position he wanted them ot succeed in and if the struggled, relegate them to the bench or a minor role. Look at Detroit's third line...a bunch of rookies that struggled in the early part of the season but Babcock stuck with them and developed them into a force this playoffs. He didn't send them to the AHL or 4th line after some mistakes. He didn't play them 5 minutes per game onteh 4th all season and then put them on the 1st line in the playoffs!

Another example of Detroit's "system" (or lack thereof)...the WIngs D-zone break-outs are varied and creative. Chicago is having a terrible time hemming Detroit in because they don't follow any predictable pattern on their breakouts. Sometimes up the boards, sometimes, they skate it our, sometimes they make a pass through their crease up the middle to break out. This is coaching and confidence that the Nucks simply don't have.

Another difference is the poise the Detroit players show. No after the whistle chirping or retaliation. No mouthing off. They are in the face of the Hawk stars every second but don't take stupid penalties and seldom get into verbal battles. Extremely disciplined and frustrating (look at Toews) to play against...Zetterberg is driving him nuts.

Edited by DIBdaQUIB, 24 May 2013 - 11:24 AM.

#62 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,385 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

To be honest, the roster helps too. Detroit despite some of them are not players that have mad stats, they are much more poised with puck. Look at them. Some of our players do the same old predictable move, which is throw it up the boards. Red Wings player avoid doing that, and try to evade the opponent and do something less predictable.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#63 M A K A V E L I 96

M A K A V E L I 96

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:01 AM

Detroit was 1 loss away from not making the playoffs and 1 game away from getting knocked out in the first round. The 3-1 lead has more to do with all of the Chicago stars disappearing and taking bad penalties than what Detroit is doing. Good for them for potentially making it to the WCF, but this isn't the Detroit of old.
Posted Image

#64 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

Did you watch this season? The twins stood up for themselves very well during the post whistle scrums.

Did you read my post? I said, in plain English, I'd like to see a little more. I didn't call them sisters. I didn't say they needed to McSorley anyone. I said I'd like to see a little more pushback.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#65 ForsbergTheGreat

ForsbergTheGreat

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

Detroit was 1 loss away from not making the playoffs and 1 game away from getting knocked out in the first round. The 3-1 lead has more to do with all of the Chicago stars disappearing and taking bad penalties than what Detroit is doing. Good for them for potentially making it to the WCF, but this isn't the Detroit of old.

The Chicago stars have definitely not showed up. Kane especially since being nominated for the lady byng. I think it also goes to show that as long as a team is makes playoffs, their "window" is still open.

#66 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

I agree with some of what you say but I also think this is being over analysed.
I can't shake this feeling that the players are a huge part of the problem that resulted in AV being canned. We had one of the highest scoring teams in the league, go to the 7th game for the Cup and don't get it done, then have 2 seasons where the goal scoring disappears and we get swept in the 1st round. Really does it seem plausable that everyone would just forget how to put the puck in the net? A hot PP that suddenly can't score in over 25 tries? I think the players were playing to get a coaching change and that means that we have a huge attitude problem on this team. Without a major shakeup, we will not be in the running anytime soon. A new coach is the only move that MG has at this point but does anyone seriously think that a new coach is going to cure all our goal scoring, PP problems. Trading Luongo and maybe Ballard will give very little room for change with a dropping cap. We are more than a 3rd line center away from having the parts to make the 7th game again.
It was time for a coaching change inlight of what has transpired but without a team shakeup, it won't matter after the same players prove themselves to the coach and start resting on their laurels again. When reliable players like Higgins and Hansen all but disappear, it says a lot about character.

Edited by bluesman60, 24 May 2013 - 03:05 PM.

#67 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

The Wings younger players have been very impressive as well.

Players like Nyquist, Smith, and Andersson have all been solid. And then their 26 and 27 year old guys like Brunner, Kindl, and Abdelkader have also been rock solid.

It just goes to show that older teams can still do damage in the playoffs if the roster is rejuvinated with youth and skill. The wings core players have a supporting cast of young energetic players who are working their butts off right now. Something the Canucks could use big time next season.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#68 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

The Wings younger players have been very impressive as well.

Players like Nyquist, Smith, and Andersson have all been solid. And then their 26 and 27 year old guys like Brunner, Kindl, and Abdelkader have also been rock solid.

It just goes to show that older teams can still do damage in the playoffs if the roster is rejuvinated with youth and skill. The wings core players have a supporting cast of young energetic players who are working their butts off right now. Something the Canucks could use big time next season.

Canucks have or had youth to work with. The problem is that if they don't fit the AV mold, they are regulated to 5 mins a game or "sheltered minutes". How does a young guy improve his faceoffs if he never takes any? How are they suppose learn the defensive game when they only play non-important minutes of a game? How do you hone their offensive skills when you play them with plugs?
Untouchables: Tanev, Jensen, Kassian
Mostly untouchable: Sedins (need someone to man the fort and no trade value)
Open to trade: Everyone else
Drive to airport: Bieksa, Edler

Bring back: Ehrhoff

#69 jigsaw99

jigsaw99

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

The Canucks don't have any superstar players.

WTF?

Sedins both Art Ross and Henrik winning Hart
Kesler is a Selke winner
We have half our salary on our Defense
and we have 2 star caliber goalies

What do you want Team Canada?

#70 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

Canucks have or had youth to work with. The problem is that if they don't fit the AV mold, they are regulated to 5 mins a game or "sheltered minutes". How does a young guy improve his faceoffs if he never takes any? How are they suppose learn the defensive game when they only play non-important minutes of a game? How do you hone their offensive skills when you play them with plugs?

In a shortened season they had no time to experiment with young players. AV knew his job was on the line, so it's really not surprising that he didn't give young players minutes.

We also didn't have a whole lot of options to choose from in terms of young players. Kassian and Schroeder were not ready to cosistently play top 9 minutes. Both of them needed more time in the AHL.

And the players that did show they were ready, like Tanev and Corrado, got to play in plenty of key situations.

With another summer to get bigger, stronger, and faster, I think the team will have some prospects that are actually able to make an impact now.

Posted Image

#71 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

Duders, i reckon you may have taken MG's comments differently than i have.

I always thought of MG's concept of following Holland's way, had more to do about patience with drafted, scouted kids in their affiliate team, than ever being an immaculate puck possession team with skill and a sound d-corps.

THAT playing style is what it is...by proxy of Bowman, Holland,and ownership...it continued with Lewis and Babs. Gillis also requested a similar style of the coaches as well.

You are also referencing 2 (though there was 3) coaches that have had an astonishing # of amazing players thru their system, but fostered the same style of Hockey. Which is what modern day farm teams/coaches do.

People are easy to poo-poo on AV/Bones/Brown, but often forget that the Moose/Wolves prospects follow the exact same systems as the Canucks.

The Wings rosters/coaches were ALWAYS complimented by additional players that Bowman wanted:

"On a really good team the role players -the foot soldiers-stand out to me. You cannot have enough of them. Game in and game out their performance is very level and their work ethic is good. Ive always felt the most important thing is to have role players who accept their role. Sometimes its not an easy role. It means no power plays, and its usually crunch time when they have to perform. Role players are the most important component of good teams." -Scotty Bowman

Some of those players arrived at the cost of high picks. Though they have always made due with savvy scouts to do good at drafts. They have not had a top-10 draft pick since 81. They take a long while to develop their kids and seamlessly slide them in.

That concept has made them competitve for so long. It continues to this day.

To hear anyone that connects these teams and then states that they should jettison the Twins, Edler, Juice, Kesler...are just flat out stupid. The Wings model defies that.

OP, you are taking ultra broad generalization of the winning Hockey organizations and not taking into account the pomp and circumstance of freaky luck.

You saw what injuries can do to the Wings. It crippled them all season and Babs was barely able to get his lineups in good order. Got them playing more defensively safe than they were used to playing. Funny how he gets a pass, but AV doesnt when he has to work with basically 1 line.

Edited by BedBeats™2.0, 24 May 2013 - 04:43 PM.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#72 AVS19

AVS19

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

DET. succeeding despit size because they ahve HEART AND DETERMINATION. something thats been lacking in the canucks dressing room since 1993

#73 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

"coaching"!!!!

Babcock is a superior strategist and a motivator of talent. He puts players in positions to succeed and employs a system that allows players to be creative yet disciplined. The Nucks have not had a coach that comes close to what Babcock brings. Av's system was to put players into a position he wanted them ot succeed in and if the struggled, relegate them to the bench or a minor role. Look at Detroit's third line...a bunch of rookies that struggled in the early part of the season but Babcock stuck with them and developed them into a force this playoffs. He didn't send them to the AHL or 4th line after some mistakes. He didn't play them 5 minutes per game onteh 4th all season and then put them on the 1st line in the playoffs!

Another example of Detroit's "system" (or lack thereof)...the WIngs D-zone break-outs are varied and creative. Chicago is having a terrible time hemming Detroit in because they don't follow any predictable pattern on their breakouts. Sometimes up the boards, sometimes, they skate it our, sometimes they make a pass through their crease up the middle to break out. This is coaching and confidence that the Nucks simply don't have.

Another difference is the poise the Detroit players show. No after the whistle chirping or retaliation. No mouthing off. They are in the face of the Hawk stars every second but don't take stupid penalties and seldom get into verbal battles. Extremely disciplined and frustrating (look at Toews) to play against...Zetterberg is driving him nuts.

Hilarious post. You drew heavy parallel. Of course the anti-AV bias shines through with a bit of revisionism. Babs and AV are more alike than people would ever want to admit to.

You oughta re-read all of that.

Posted Image

#74 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,080 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

I have to laugh.

How many times has it been suggested that even a monkey could win with the lineup AV was given?

I think it's closer to the truth to say that it won't be easy to upgrade on AV, and that the idea that anyone could coach a roster like Vancouver's is kinda like a monkey's perspective on what it actually takes to coach in the NHL.

I had a similar argument with someone I didn't find particularly insightful earlier this year. His claim was that the RedWings were done. Aging core, their stars are smurfs - no chance against the big teams in the West - and not enough youth in the cupboards to replenish their aging roster. Moreover, he claimed that any idiot could have been successful behind their bench, and now that Lidstrom is gone, Babcock is being exposed as not a very good coach...

Edited by oldnews, 24 May 2013 - 06:03 PM.

#75 Lulover88

Lulover88

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

Im not trying to denigrate the wings success so far in the playoffs , but if i was a millionaire I still wouldnt bet 5$ on them beating l.a , let alone boston and or pits .. they have been good ... and lucky ... lets not get carried away with our praise yet ... still a long way to the cup ..

Edited by Lulover88, 24 May 2013 - 06:25 PM.

#76 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

I have to laugh.

How many times has it been suggested that even a monkey could win with the lineup AV was given?

I think it's closer to the truth to say that it won't be easy to upgrade on AV, and that the idea that anyone could coach a roster like Vancouver's is kinda like a monkey's perspective on what it actually takes to coach in the NHL.

I had a similar argument with someone I didn't find particularly insightful earlier this year. His claim was that the RedWings were done. Aging core, their stars are smurfs - no chance against the big teams in the West - and not enough youth in the cupboards to replenish their aging roster. Moreover, he claimed that any idiot could have been successful behind their bench, and now that Lidstrom is gone, Babcock is being exposed as not a very good coach...

Heard something similar from a customer i was tending bar for, he was baiting me with such stupidity, a few seats over some drunk Sens fans let their opinion be heard.

And they were spot on. While they loved their Sens, it was clear they were Hockey fans too.

Basically they outlined to this blowhard (who was spouting such greatest hits like: The sisters are too soft. Dats is in decline. Zata is a terrible captain. AV/Babs have zero idea what to do...etc...) about injuries, the Canucks being crippled from lack of Malhotra/Kesler and enough RH shots on the PP, the similarities between the Wings and Canucks, how Gillis failed AV...and on and on.

It was actually pretty amazing to see other team's fans plainly understand what went wrong.

Suffice to say i bought them a pitcher. :)

Posted Image

#77 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,080 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:46 PM

Heard something similar from a customer i was tending bar for, he was baiting me with such stupidity, a few seats over some drunk Sens fans let their opinion be heard.

And they were spot on. While they loved their Sens, it was clear they were Hockey fans too.

Basically they outlined to this blowhard (who was spouting such greatest hits like: The sisters are too soft. Dats is in decline. Zata is a terrible captain. AV/Babs have zero idea what to do...etc...) about injuries, the Canucks being crippled from lack of Malhotra/Kesler and enough RH shots on the PP, the similarities between the Wings and Canucks, how Gillis failed AV...and on and on.

It was actually pretty amazing to see other team's fans plainly understand what went wrong.

Suffice to say i bought them a pitcher. :)

Nice.
I'm just watching the Sens game, and while it looks like it could be their last this season, what a season they have had.
Really, they probably had a great shot in this series as well had Vokoun not intervened.

#78 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

Nice.
I'm just watching the Sens game, and while it looks like it could be their last this season, what a season they have had.
Really, they probably had a great shot in this series as well had Vokoun not intervened.

For sure. Really wanted Alfie to have more fun and advance. In some ways they really were their own enemies in the form of turnovers. Its just killed them.

Now i am pulling for Iggy. Really want him to get a Cup.

Anyways...cheers Sens fans. You all deserved more.

But i digress...

Posted Image

#79 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,080 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:00 PM

For sure. Really wanted Alfie to have more fun and advance. In some ways they really were their own enemies in the form of turnovers. Its just killed them.

Now i am pulling for Iggy. Really want him to get a Cup.

Anyways...cheers Sens fans. You all deserved more.

But i digress...

Maybe Alfie will give it another year... the future's pretty bright in Ottawa.

#80 puckinaround

puckinaround

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

Okay, aside from Know it all bartender guy and loose-monkey analogy guy, I think eveyone else understands what I was getting at. The Canucks look limp, and they need heart. Firing AV is a good start even though I respect him and thank him for leading us to a cup final. The next step is to light a fire under our limp emotionless team stars. Also the injury excuse is too played out. If we are injured we need a young, developed prospect to come up and perform well.

#81 runtzguy

runtzguy

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

And the dumbest statement of the thread goes to...

You. Hes right. Sedins are not considered superstars. Split them up and compare Henrik to Toews, whom Henrik make the same amount of money. Who would you pick as your center? And compare Kane to Daniel. Who would you pick? Who has the deadlier shot?

#82 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

You. Hes right. Sedins are not considered superstars. Split them up and compare Henrik to Toews, whom Henrik make the same amount of money. Who would you pick as your center? And compare Kane to Daniel. Who would you pick? Who has the deadlier shot?

Don`t embarass yourself.

This is why fans around the league laugh at Canucks fans. We do nothing but complain about our team and never even appreciate the great players we have.

The Sedins have won the Art Ross, the Hart and the Ted Lindsay. They are superstars, and any person that says they aren`t are either a troll, ignorant, or a bitter fan. Or maybe all three.

Oh and Kane is a complete no show in this series, and Toews has 3 points in 9 games. Those numbers really scream superstar. Meanwhile Hank has as many points as Toews despite only playing 4 games.

Get a clue.

Edited by DeNiro, 24 May 2013 - 07:48 PM.

Posted Image

#83 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#84 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,080 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

The Sedins have won the Art Ross, the Hart and the Ted Lindsay. They are superstars, and any person that says they aren`t are either a troll, ignorant, or a bitter fan. Or maybe all three.

Oh and Kane is a complete no show in this series, and Toews has 3 points in 9 games. Those numbers really scream superstar. Meanwhile Hank has as many points as Toews despite only playing 4 games.

qft

#85 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,080 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

You. Hes right. Sedins are not considered superstars.

Posted Image

#86 puckinaround

puckinaround

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

It's always great how a thread goes completely to hell when negative haters show up to bomb everyone else by calling them trolls, newbies or whatever. Thanks Bedbeats and Deniro, you are obviously the only ones in the entire city of Vancouver who know anything about hockey. Your a troll, No, your a troll, whaaaa, no you are. This is a summary of you last 3 posts. Notice how everyone else in this thread has kept it to respectful and useful comments until you showed up. The point of posting is not to prove that your right or wrong, but to chew through ideas with other people. Instead you choose to be ugly to others. Must be fun living your life full of hating on others. Maybe you've noticed how people respond to your attitude. You should learn from that. It's easier making friends when you respect that people have different ideas. It's okay to disagree but why you gotta be so rude.
Now cue all your fancy video clips to show how fancy your hating is.

#87 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

It's always great how a thread goes completely to hell when negative haters show up to bomb everyone else by calling them trolls, newbies or whatever. Thanks Bedbeats and Deniro, you are obviously the only ones in the entire city of Vancouver who know anything about hockey. Your a troll, No, your a troll, whaaaa, no you are. This is a summary of you last 3 posts. Notice how everyone else in this thread has kept it to respectful and useful comments until you showed up. The point of posting is not to prove that your right or wrong, but to chew through ideas with other people. Instead you choose to be ugly to others. Must be fun living your life full of hating on others. Maybe you've noticed how people respond to your attitude. You should learn from that. It's easier making friends when you respect that people have different ideas. It's okay to disagree but why you gotta be so rude.
Now cue all your fancy video clips to show how fancy your hating is.

Relax duders.

I respectfully added to the dialogue, so did the others that you feel derailed the thread.

But when some bumpkin actually derails your thread saying that the Twins are not this and that, and it is patently false, its open season to call them on it. Not like we did the same to you.

Trust me...i feel the same way as you. We may not share the same opinions but we certainly share the disdain for haters.

Posted Image

#88 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:58 PM

Hilarious post. You drew heavy parallel. Of course the anti-AV bias shines through with a bit of revisionism. Babs and AV are more alike than people would ever want to admit to.

You oughta re-read all of that.

I disagree. Glad you got a chuckle though.

#89 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

I disagree. Glad you got a chuckle though.

Cheers, buds.

Holy moly...its like we are all becoming civilized here!

:P

Edited by BedBeats™2.0, 24 May 2013 - 09:05 PM.

Posted Image

#90 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,080 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:03 PM

Okay, aside from Know it all bartender guy and loose-monkey analogy guy, I think eveyone else understands what I was getting at. The Canucks look limp, and they need heart. Firing AV is a good start even though I respect him and thank him for leading us to a cup final. The next step is to light a fire under our limp emotionless team stars. Also the injury excuse is too played out. If we are injured we need a young, developed prospect to come up and perform well.

Hadn't actually read your posts, wasn't referring to them (assuming the loose-monkey analogy thing was a reference to my post), and didn't realize this thread was revolving around you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.