The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What makes people so confident in Schneider, as our number 1?

BenDrinkin

The best season of Luongo's career he put up .931 sv% and 2.43 GAA. Schneider has already beaten that mark with .937 sv% and 1.96 GAA. Luongo's best playoff performance ever he got .941 sv% and 1.77 GAA. Schneider has beaten that mark again with .960 sv% and 1.31 GAA. Luongo's best performances of his entire career (in the distant past) have already fallen in Schneid's first 3 years.

The best season of Luongo's career he put up .931 sv% and 2.43 GAA. Schneider has already beaten that mark with .937 sv% and 1.96 GAA. Luongo's best playoff performance ever he got .941 sv% and 1.77 GAA. Schneider has beaten that mark again with .960 sv% and 1.31 GAA. Luongo's best performances of his entire career (in the distant past) have already fallen in Schneid's first 3 years.

And Cory's had 4+ goals in 33% of his (limited) playoff starts. You like that?

Cory shouldn't have started this year, but he did. HE said he was ready before both games. Even after the playoffs, he said he had been good to go and couldn't use injury as an excuse. If excuses aren't acceptable for one they aren't for the other. If you are going to take other factors into account for one, you have to take them into account for both. And the smart fan knows that most of the time the team is the single biggest factor in how well a goalie does.

The fact is all goalies have bad games, especially on teams that put too much reliance on the goalie and too little on bringing a full team effort. Unless this team's emphasis changes I wouldn't waste my time expecting any goalie to do significantly better.

The key is limited as you said, if Cory has played 64 playoff games and he is sitting at 33% of games with 4+ goals scored in playoff games we have problems and I'll step up and say it as well. I can also tell you 25% of playoff games 4+ with a long playoff history is a problem, you can't? It's unfair to be overly critical of Cory at this point but Lou has given us a large sample size and he fails flat out. The bigger problem with Lou is not that 25 % of his playoff games he plays he doesn't give the team a chance to win it's that he dose it in clumps. You have Cory in your sig is it just for show?

Wow! Way to sweep right over all that CONTEXT!

Cory's best playoff year consisted of only 3 games while Luo's best year consisted of 12 games, or 4x as many. Likewise, Cory's best regular season year consisted of only 33 games played in (28 starts.) Luo's best year consisted of 72 games (all starts), or more than twice as many. You're trying to compare grapes and watermelons.

But, if you want to play that game, do it right and look at the other end of the spectrum. Cory may have the best individual year stats between the two, but he also has the WORST. And they are far more comparable.

Cory's worst playoff performance was this year, when he played 2 games and got a .880 SV% and a 4.62 GAA. Luo's worst playoff performance was last year when he played 2 games and got .891 SV% and a 3.59 GAA. Those are comparable because they each played the same number of games just a year apart. And it's not just the totals that were worse. If you look at their individual games you see that Cory was worse this year than Luo was last year. Luo's SV%s from last year were .921 and .846. Cory's SV%s from this year were .821 and .915. Cory was worse in his both his worst and best game from this year than Luo was in his last year. And yet, apparently Luo was so bad last year he had to be replaced as the starter. Funny then that no one is saying Cory was so bad he should be replaced for doing even worse the very next year. (And that's a good thing, because that'd be moronic to do to Cory, just as it was last year to do to Luo!)

As for their regular seasons, both goalies had their worst performances in their first year of NHL play (as expected.) For Cory, that was 2008/09 when he played in 8 games, started in 5, and had a .877 SV% and a 3.38 GAA. For Luo, that was 1999/2000 when he played in 24 games, started in 20 and had a .904 SV% and 3.25 GAA.

So, if you want to pretend you accurately compare their stats, at least do so as fully and fairly as possible and look at comparable years and the lower end of their performances, not just the higher because you think it bolsters your argument. But, really, it's a fool's errand anyway because Cory's only played 5,372 minutes in the NHL regular season and 463 minutes in the NHL playoffs while Luo's played 42,887 regular season NHL minutes and 3,856 NHL playoff minutes. Grapes and watermelons, dude. Grapes and watermelons!

Louongo is an excellent goaltender. He is one of the best in the whole world. So is Schneider. Schneider is younger and still on the rise. Louongo is at the top of his game. Schneider projects to have a higher ceiling and is younger and has a more attractive contract.

Louongo has also showed a desire to leave Vancouver and has his condo for sale.

Goaltending is not our problem. With Lack and Cannata in the system it is doubtful we will be having problems in goal for many years.

We need a return on Louongo to help make the Canucks a better team moving forward. If Louongo stays and Schneider is traded we still have strength in goal.

I think you're reading too much into my post. All I was pointing out was that the very best performances of Luongo's long career have already been beaten in just a few short seasons by Schneider. It shows that Luongo isn't really the legend of goaltending that he's frequently made out to be and that Schneider does have the capacity to be better than Luongo ever was.

You want us to get younger and then u compare to penguins who are sitting the younger goalie over the more experienced?

Cory will never be better than Luongo. His absolute choke job on the playoffs proved it.

Talk to me when he has more playoff wins than playoff panic attacks.

yes he is very talented and can steal us games and can be absolutly lights out but I don't trust him. If you look back to the 2011 Playoffs, in game 6 i think it was? Schnieder "cramped" up but after he admitted that he had a panic attack, relatively no big deal since it hasnt occured again but what if that were to happen in the playoffs again and we would have to throw in our backup goalie against the likes of the Blackhawks,Ducks, or some other team with alot of firepower.

My point is I believe we should trade schnieder, I KNOW were not going to but it would make the most sense. There is an interest for Schnieder, Mike Gillis got 11 dif offers from teams at last years draft for schnieder. Luongo's contract is basically untradable considering where he wants to go (Florida), Luongo is already signed long term, he has consistent numbers,and is a veteran goalie that knows how to get the job done. I love Schnieder, he's a great guy with a great attitude but I just dont want him to be broken down by fans such as myself whenever he's having an off day.

This all or nothing approach is getting absurd. Why does a goalie have to be 100% perfect to be considered a success? Both Luongo and Schneider are better then average with hints of greatness, but there is no such thing as a perfect goalie. This city needs to get over its obcession with goalies and just let them be what they are - humans strapped with giant pads. We should be so lucky to have a young promising goalie who wants to appease the fans.

This is sports, there are ZERO guarentees for anything.

Shut up and enjoy the fact that its impossible to predict the future.

Does it matter who gets traded on this team. Either were going to eat some of the salary or get some prospects back. I just can't see us getting any blue chippers That will make a major impact on this team right away . Is there a guarantee that Loungo is going to be as good in 5 years? Will it matter!!. You want to win now, Sorry IMO our window of opportunity has closed already. They're too many holes that need to be address after watching what I've seen this past season and one trade isn't going to do it. A new coach will have a say in what type of players and style he wants and a Salary Cap that needs to get down that management have to deal with.

One of the best elite goaltenders in NHL history?

lol :) lol :)

Tell me why we can't even trade him for pick again? If he was that good his contract wouldn't be that bad, the reason his contract is that bad is because he can't play as well as its value.... And that's 5 mil a year. Seem like a bargain for one of the best elite goaltenders in NHL history, well unless your willing to admit that his game is on the decline???? Every GM in the the NHL knows what you don't wake up and smell the coffee.

"Succes" on a short period of time mean nothing at all, I really hope Cory won't be a bust(specially because he's on our team) like Jonathan Cheechoo but we never know until a player career his over.

Jonathan Cheechoo(played at least 65 games in each season)

2002-03 9 goals(rookie season)

2003-04 28 goals

lockout

2005-06 56 goals Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy winner

2006-07 37 goals

2007-08 23 goals

2008-09 12 goals

2009-10 5 goals

and now playing in the AHL

"Succes" on a short period of time mean nothing at all, I really hope Cory won't be a bust(specially because he's on our team) like Jonathan Cheechoo but we never know until a player career his over.

Jonathan Cheechoo(played at least 65 games in each season)

2002-03 9 goals(rookie season)

2003-04 28 goals

lockout

2005-06 56 goals Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy winner

2006-07 37 goals

2007-08 23 goals

2008-09 12 goals

2009-10 5 goals

and now playing in the AHL

Archived