The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis out GM'd again!

Van bc

Buddy,this is a Canucks forum where hockey opinions are expressed.

Instead of focusing on your gripes with govt employees and your love of knitting I suggest you learn and talk about hockey.

What the hell are you doing here?

I am at work, earning $100,00.00 per annum from the Government of BC, but I am bored, "knit" .. your wit and prose-like presentations keep drawing me back .. please refrain from posting so I can get back to "work" .. B)

whats wrong with telling someone somthing they want to hear? its not like it gets put in the contract.... coaches make the decisions on who plays and how much... why couldnt gillis just say "sure I see you as a top 4 D man on our team" say anything to get them to sign the contract and be on our team instead of our competition.... players want to go to a team where they feel they are wanted. be it money offer or anything else.. gillis just sucks as a gm. As a former agent he should know you say anything to make the player feel like he would be best off with you..

Congrats...it takes talent to write something this dumb. Perhaps my sarcasm detector is broken in which case my sarcastic back handed congrats becomes a real one. ;)

Gillis has done plenty actually. Some good and some bad and he's done a good job. Even looking at this team in the last two disappointing years it's a better team than it was when he took over. Bringing in a Vet like Sundin was in their own words something very important for the Sedins development. Like it or not because I know a lot of people here are still in boo hoo mode Gillis has done a lot for this team. Has he done enough? Not yet but as the post you quoted said imo the biggest mistake he's made is not replacing Ehrhoff. Had he signed him to a 10 year deal he would have deserved to be fired but when letting a player like that go you can't just expect somebody to step up into that role.

you know what the oilers did right? Guaranteed him mins on the blue line. Thats something the oilers can do while we cant. He would have to earn his mins from the wolves (or utica) all the way up to the canucks like everyone else. Sadly a lot of todays youth isn't willing to do that (schultz).

From all the material ive read...rookies pulling that with management tend to lose favour in the organization.

Apparently its always been that way. If CoHo indeed want more minutes, then he should have known better.

But Shultz didn't get number one pairing time at all and was number 2 pairing all 48 games he played. With what Schultz did this year I have a hard time believing he wouldn't get powerplay time on any team in the NHL including our canucks. Gillis is not going after these opportunities like he should there is nothing more to it then that. He needs to put more effort into getting these guys or we need to replace him with someone that can. He snoozes we lose and then yes I give my head a shake

Can't report from my phone anyways I just like messing with nit.

As for sundin I disagree. To say that the sedins wouldn't have been able to re-sign is a huge assumption that I think most would have a hard time justifying.

As for Hoff, from people I know it was almost entirely about the money and the only way to make him worth it was a long contract to make a smaller cap hit. I don't believe those contract work out much of the time. So no given that he shouldn't have been re-signed. The mistake is not replacing his role at all. Literally this team hasn't had anybodY other than Edler and that's pretty sad.

Given his age, Below becomes a UFA at the end of next season. It will take him a year to adjust to the NHL game and it will take a year to figure out if he can be effective in the NHL.

Bottom line: Edmonton will take the risk and pay the price while Below adjusts to the NHL game. If he does well they will have to pay a lot for him or someone else will bid him away.

Right now he can play a lot of minutes for Edmonton as their D is weak. With Vancouver there is no way he would make the top 4 and it is not obvious he would even make the 3rd pairing.

From his point of view, it makes sense for him to go with Edmonton for one year.

I do not see this as a GM failure.

And where would Schutz have been here with Edler, Garrison, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Ballard and Tanev? The advantage these young undrafted players have is the choice giving them the best opportunity. It's a fast track to bigger contracts going to a weak team where they are virtually guaranteed top four minutes. Here Schultz would have been playing for the Wolves waiting for a call up. For some the fast track to money is more important than going to a contender and taking the gamble of playing for their farm team for peanuts.

It has nothing to do with snoozing and everything to do with opportunity and money. Would you honestly prefer to sign in Vancouver knowing the odds were you'd be playing for the farm team for 70K instead of signing with Edmonton knowing you'd be in the NHL making 1M+ and bonuses? I know which choice I'd be inclined to take.

Archived