The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was letting Raymond walk a mistake?

мeтpо

Guest Pinchin

Letting Raymond go was the best thing for all parties invovled. If he can put on 25 lbs he will be able to get to the spots on the ice he needs to get to and will be the 25 goal scorer he almost is....was. The talent is there.

I've never been a fan of Mason Raymond but he got a pretty hard ride from Canucks nation over the last couple years. He wasn't that great but wasn't nearly as terrible as he was made out to be and if he finds success with another organization then good for him.

It just better not be in our new division.

Mehhhhhh I'd say its a wash at this point. He could have worked for us still, but mg knows the particular details at hand better, considering how long Macy has been getting the benefit of the doubt. The only thing I don't like is his potential for a day it clicks for him, and how close we are to Calgary

Wasn't talking playoffs. But this last playoffs he was one of three forwards to score, was tied for fourth in points and led all forwards in +/-.

Edit:

Btw, Higgins hasn't picked up a single point in the past TWO playoffs and is a combined -5. You must be completely pissed he was signed and with a ntc to boot!

How could you say that? Higgins works hard on EVERY shift and does everything he can possible to make a play work. Raymond, on the other hand rarely wins a puck battle, gets knocked off the puck easy, breaks plays/rushes by passing to the wrong player or shooting from a bad spot.

I am positive Mason is a great guy but he is also a prime example that all that speed is useless if you can't handle the puck at top speed.

What will happen is he'll most likely goto a bottom feeder team like Calgary and have a decent 20goal season playing top minutes. Then a flood of posters will argue we let a 20goal scorer walk.

It was time to move on, I like Raymond and he is a very good complementary scoring player when on his game, but he is what he is, an inconsistent scorer.

We have prospects in the system that are ready for an opportunity, and bring more upside than what he is, so we have to give them that opportunity, players like Raymond are replaceable anyways IMO.

As much as I was a proponent of getting rid of Raymond, I thought he would get a 2.5-3m offer from a team and to me, he wasnt worth it and that's why I was ready to drive him to the airport.

However, if he ends up signing a 1-1.5 m deal, the Canucks should consider bringing him back for 4th line and PK duties with spot 3rd line duties during injuries.

I don't think the Canucks necessarily need a bash bros 4th line. He is versatile enough to play in the bottom 6 at that level of pay

A

He would be a better fit on a team like the Islanders. Like Grabner is. A fast team with lots of speed and is smaller...they have the run and gun system...But then again, hes not signed yet. So yeah.

Raymond is simply better. Higgins gets the nod in PK and checking, but that's really it. MayRay has the superior passing, shot and overall offense.

Higgins lacks finish, he misses the net, doesn't do well when plugged into the 2nd line and gets owned in the post season. Higgy has easily been our worst forward in the last 2 playoffs. At least Raymond scores a lil.

Archived