The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was letting Raymond walk a mistake?

мeтpо

He got as many points as Kesler during the playoffs this year, and only one point less than our first line guys. Last year he did only get 1 point in the playoffs, but then again only 5 of our players did any better and 2 of them were D. :(

By comparison, Higgins hasn't gotten a single point in the postseason since 10/11 when he got 8, the same number Raymond got in 1 fewer game. (F U, Boychuk!) Raymond also put up more shots in the last 3 years than Higgins in the playoffs.

And, while Higgins is more physical in the regular season with more hits and blocked shots, he doesn't seem to maintain that in the postseason. This year he only contributed only 4 more hits and 2 more blocked shots than Raymond did and last year only 1 more hit and the same number of block shots as Raymond but unlike Raymond, Higgins didn't contribute on the scoreboard at all in either year.

Personally, as much as I like Higgins and would prefer to have both of them, since the choice seemed to be one or the other I would have preferred we kept Raymond. Too bad Gillis doesn't call and ask my opinion! *lol*

Using your enormous intellect can you tell me how he manages to have an equivalent 40 point season while "barely staying on his feet"......and yet that great invisible man of the playoffs Higgins barely got near that total ......and yet apparently Higgins STAYS ON HIS FEET all the time..........now tell me who is worth the $2.5M

By the way Higgins had a massive 5 shots, 0 points and -2 in 4 games in the playoffs

Raymond had 9 shots, 2 points and +2 in 4 games...........that is a +/- difference of 4 in 4 games................Now tell me who the best fit is?

If numpty's like you spent less time watching for Raymond falling down and more time watching what he actually contributes, you might come over as someone worth listening to.

raymond is a perimeter player never goes into the crease to get garbage goals at least burrows hansen get a bit more dirty

id rather have kassian be a beast than raymond good riddance i love that alain is gone the guys a bone head best thing gillis coulda done i hope he can sign tanev cheap otherwise package him with booth in a trade for more cap space let some rookies play and bring in jagr and another old dman. And if bobby luo doesnt show up i think erickson and lack will actually o a decent job

The question mark about his back with his poor performance the season after is what`s hurt his negotiating power. But he did have a pretty decent bounce back season this year and the back didn`t appear to be an issue. It`s still something to be questioned though. I`ll be quite surprised if he signs for less that $3m. My guess would be $3-3.5m.

The problem is that Raymond is in that so-called "middle class" of players who are getting the shaft as the cap drops but the superstars still make money hand over fist. Like a lot of other players, he would do well to sign a 1-year deal for cheap (for him, I'd say around $1.5M) and then try to get a decent raise after next season. I understand that that doesn't provide the kind of stability they like to provide for their families, but it's just the reality of the market right now.

When you play with crap you play like crap. Schroeder, Raymond and Hansen should have played together a lot more. Unfortunately AV saw it differently and wasted all that speed. All they needed was a little consistency together so they could conjure up some chemistry.

I remember when we used to have these arguments when you compared Raymond vs Booth

During that time, we had other knowledgeable CDCers analyze each game and break down Raymond vs Booth every shift.

Booth won that.

Now its Raymond vs Higgins.

Pretty sure if we break down their plays per shift, again, Higgins would come out on top.

You complain about CDCers jumping from one scapegoat to another except in this case you are doing the exact same thing in order to protect your precious Raymond.

Well for a start many USA players don't like coming to Canada. He's a farm boy who likes it in Vancouver.

Honestly, I don't have a clue why he hasn't been signed...........who knows? I suspect like we should have shied away from Booth, many Clubs have been scared off by his back injury and the fact he has only had one short season of AV turmoil and confused and incompetent line selection to prove himself.

The point is more, why we are NOT re-signing him. Are we blessed with 40+ point two way forwards?..........no we definitely are not.

Well for a start many USA players don't like coming to Canada. He's a farm boy who likes it in Vancouver.

Honestly, I don't have a clue why he hasn't been signed...........who knows? I suspect like we should have shied away from Booth, many Clubs have been scared off by his back injury and the fact he has only had one short season of AV turmoil and confused and incompetent line selection to prove himself.

The point is more, why we are NOT re-signing him. Are we blessed with 40+ point two way forwards?..........no we definitely are not.

Players in Raymond's category (afterthoughts in the free agent market) are going to be cheap this year. If he signs, it's going to be less than 2 million, maybe closer to 1. So we may yet have a shot at him down the road a bit. And I wouldn't mind if we did.

Archived