Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

(Report) Raymond's agent says it will take time to sign with a team.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Pavel Burrows

Pavel Burrows

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

http://prohockeytalk...-with-new-team/

NBC

A quick glance at the list of remaining unrestricted free agents doesn’t show many former 25-goal scorers. And it certainly doesn’t show many former 25-goal scorers under the age of 30.

Mason Raymond falls into both those categories though. The 27-year-old scored 25 times for the Canucks in 2009-10. Since then, however, it’s been a tough time for the speedy-but-slight winger. A serious back injury suffered in the 2011 Stanley Cup Final. Stretches of inconsistent play. Now, he’s looking for a new team.

Raymond’s agent, JP Barry, tells News 1130 Sports in Vancouver there’s been plenty of interest from potential suitors, but it may take time before an acceptable offer is made.

In 2013, Raymond had 10 goals in 46 games.

“I think I’ll have some good discussions about Mason,” Barry told The Province recently. “He’s got a lot of speed and he had a good season. Also, the UFA market is not a deep one this year.”

Posted Image

Credit to VC!

#2 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

POPULAR

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/22/raymonds-agent-thinks-it-will-take-time-to-sign-with-new-team/

NBC

A quick glance at the list of remaining unrestricted free agents doesn’t show many former 25-goal scorers. And it certainly doesn’t show many former 25-goal scorers under the age of 30.

Mason Raymond falls into both those categories though. The 27-year-old scored 25 times for the Canucks in 2009-10. Since then, however, it’s been a tough time for the speedy-but-slight winger. A serious back injury suffered in the 2011 Stanley Cup Final. Stretches of inconsistent play. Now, he’s looking for a new team.

Raymond’s agent, JP Barry, tells News 1130 Sports in Vancouver there’s been plenty of interest from potential suitors, but it may take time before an acceptable offer is made.

In 2013, Raymond had 10 goals in 46 games.

“I think I’ll have some good discussions about Mason,” Barry told The Province recently. “He’s got a lot of speed and he had a good season. Also, the UFA market is not a deep one this year.”

Intentional?

I think so.

#3 Raffi Torres's Smirk

Raffi Torres's Smirk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

"I think I'll have some good discussions about Mason," Barry told The Province recently. "He's got a lot of speed and he had a good season. Also, the UFA market is not a deep one this year."

Isn't that kind of like his agent admitting that his client isn't so great?

#4 Florence

Florence

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

Waiting for an acceptable offer eh. He sounds like MG's protege.

Everyone+knows+a+Sasha+gif+was+going+to+

#5 ilduce39

ilduce39

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

Can't believe he's slipped past everyone so far on the free agent market - he's really fallen off the radar. I would have thought the offers would come tumbling in with his speed. Hopefully things don't get tripped up for too long in contract talks - I'm sure he could slide into anyone's roster and make an impact.

Edited by ilduce39, 22 July 2013 - 06:03 PM.

T-Bone said:
remind them all of Tbone, remeber me for how I lived, not how I was banned
*sig too big

#6 Cold Hard Truth

Cold Hard Truth

Comets Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

I am ready to pray to even Booths God that somebody beside the canucks sign this guy asap.
<p>"If you can't beat them in the alley , you won't beat them on the ice." ~ Conn Smythe

#7 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

As much as I make fun of him I'd probably be happy if we could sign him for under 1.5 for a year if Jensen and Gaunce aren't ready

#8 Hairy Kneel

Hairy Kneel

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

come on calgary do thr right thing already..

#9 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

Still some good FAs out there.... Wonder if they'll all have to settle for small contracts due to a smaller demand for labour with the cap settling.

I think an Eastern team with a dreadful PK should sign him if they can get a deal. Carolina or Florida maybe. 1 year/1.5 million would actually fill out the Canes' line-up pretty good.

#10 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

At this point I would embrace him back with open arms. Our off-season has been quite concerning so far.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#11 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

He needs to add some weight to be more effective. His upper body is like a 15 year old. Who cares if he loses some speed, he doesn't do much with it anyways.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#12 theo5789

theo5789

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,795 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

At this point I would embrace him back with open arms. Our off-season has been quite concerning so far.

What would you have done differently this offseason? I'd like to know what realistic expectations you had.
VanWhitecapsFC YouTube Page

Also mycanucksdotca on YouTube

#13 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,382 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

What would you have done differently this offseason? I'd like to know what realistic expectations you had.

if you cap the expectations at realism you get what MG delivered. Rabid fans be rabid fans.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#14 HOCKEY GEEK 101

HOCKEY GEEK 101

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

Gillis doesn't have the money to pay the salary that Raymond wants so I think Canucks WON'T re-sign him and sign Tanev instead

#15 Alexander.Edler

Alexander.Edler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

Raymond is really good friends with some of the guys on this team, and wants to win with them. In every podcast Raymond answers questions with guys like Bieksa and Burrows while having a blast. Obviously he wants to stay here and its tough to leave. I am a fan of Raymond, great guy who cares about and appreciates the fans. People make way to much fun of him, and I'm sure he'll produce 25 goals again, but he wont get another shot with the Canucks and thats what sucks.

Posted Image

#16 Onions

Onions

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:59 AM

it's just about our cap, we really don't have the cap room for him anymore.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:08 AM

Intentional?

I think so.

You made my night sir.

#18 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:17 AM

Lol teams probably aren't giving him more than 1.5M

33y40fk.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#19 Evil Roach

Evil Roach

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:56 AM

This might turn into another Mats Sundin saga..

#20 Doc Emerick

Doc Emerick

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:03 AM

This might turn into another Mats Sundin saga..

Is MayRay gonna be chillin' in Sweden with Kypreos contemplating a 20M offer?

I think this is his agent's way of saying Last call before he signs something thats on the table.

#21 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:51 AM

Is MayRay gonna be chillin' in Sweden with Kypreos contemplating a 20M offer?

I think this is his agent's way of saying Last call before he signs something thats on the table.

.......in the Dutch league.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#22 bloodycanuckleheads

bloodycanuckleheads

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:01 AM

Mason Raymond falls into both those categories though.

You know what other category he falls into???

Right. Players-With-Broken-Backs.

Cause, you could score a hundred at 19 years of age, and if you break your back, you're pretty much worthless in the world of professional sports from that moment on...
Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:41 PM by BloodyCanuckleheads

I could definitely see Grabner going. He seems to have done his best to play his way out the door (and Gillis seems to be the smartest GM we've ever had, so, put two and two together)...

#23 SergioMomesso

SergioMomesso

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:04 AM

29 other GM's saw the same perimeter playing soft forward who's just not good enough to play a top 6 role and not tough enough to grind it out in a bottom 9 role.

What he should do is go play in Europe for a couple years and that may spark some interest if he does well over there.
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:5584]

#24 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,674 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:26 AM

You know what other category he falls into???

Right. Players-With-Broken-Backs.

Cause, you could score a hundred at 19 years of age, and if you break your back, you're pretty much worthless in the world of professional sports from that moment on...

Ahem.
Mario Lemieux, heriniated disc in his back. Comes back and scores 44 points to give Pittsburgh it's first Stanley Cup win in 91.
Now I'm not saying Raymond is anywhere even remotely in the same universe as Mario. But to write off a player after back injury is just wrong. The reality is even when Raymond is healthy he has flaws in his game, and he's a uni-dimensional player that doesn't fit in our bottom 6, and isn't consistent enough to be in our top 6. It's that simple.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#25 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,372 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:33 AM

Trade Edler and one of (Higgins, Hansen, Burrows) and a pick for a top 6 winger.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#26 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

I have no doubt that Raymond will get an NHL contract, but I think he'll be taking a paycut and won't sign a deal until training camp starts.

#27 lmm

lmm

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

this title reminds me of Gillis waiting for a better offer for Luongo

#28 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

Raymond has not been effective ever since Kesler stopped passing and Ehrhoff left the team.
Untouchables: Tanev, Jensen, Kassian
Mostly untouchable: Sedins (need someone to man the fort and no trade value)
Open to trade: Everyone else
Drive to airport: Bieksa, Edler

Bring back: Ehrhoff

#29 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,291 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

Raymond should go to the SEL, he's not a small ice player.

Subbancopy.jpg

#30 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

Ahem.
Mario Lemieux, heriniated disc in his back. Comes back and scores 44 points to give Pittsburgh it's first Stanley Cup win in 91.
Now I'm not saying Raymond is anywhere even remotely in the same universe as Mario. But to write off a player after back injury is just wrong. The reality is even when Raymond is healthy he has flaws in his game, and he's a uni-dimensional player that doesn't fit in our bottom 6, and isn't consistent enough to be in our top 6. It's that simple.

comparing a herniated disc to a broken back is like comparing a hangnail to a broken finger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.