The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article)NHL goalie rankings: Is Luongo still elite?

naslund.is.king

Nabokov was reliably bad last season. Luongo was actually quite good save for a pair of bad games while Schneider was sick (i.e. 8 goals against vs. Detroit) where he normally would've been pulled. Those games dragged his stats down considerably given the short season and light workload (and they were still substantially better than Nabokov's).

You are making illogical excuses. Chicago series he imploded and got pulled (and no, legendary players don't let in softies in the playoffs and get labeled chokers because of it). 8 goals in one game? Scored on Luongo? It doesn't matter how many goals we scored, we are talking about how Luongo played, and he played awful in Boston. He choked in Boston. It doesn't matter if we would or wouldn't have won the LA series, he didn't play well.

how many coaches leave there goalies in that long.

Puck Daddy's top-10 list today. Lu at #3:

3. Roberto Luongo, Vancouver Canucks

Sorry, but remind me again when Luongo suddenly turned terrible? Was it when the Canucks decided to pass the baton? Was it when his contract was deemed un-tradable? I’m willing to chalk up some of his underwhelming stats to mitigating circumstances, such as loathing the way one's employer has treated them. But he’s shown enough flashes that I don’t believe his skills have eroded. For my money, he’s still the third best goalie in the League. For his money, he had better be, for the Canucks' sake.

http://sports.yahoo....html#more-64540

Not even close. 20 is being generous.20-25.I would take many goalies over him.

This fan base has become so jaded. Luongo is still world calss. We have been far too spoiled in this market since Dan Cloutier left town. Would any of you honestly take Niemi or Crawford ahead of Luongo? Yes he has to prove himself again, but he is top 5 in the league.

Luongo has pretty much always been (and will probably continue to be) an elite regular-season goalie.

What separates him from the truly elite and greats from the past is that aside from one season (2007), he hasn't been able to elevate his game consistently in the playoffs. This is why since 2007 he's sporting a playoff GAA of 2.75 and .909 Sv%, a far cry from his regular season averages post 2007 - 2.37 GAA, .918 Sv%.

Whatever the other factors may have been in those 5 postseasons (injuries, reffing, etc.), Luongo's game clearly regresses on average.

You telling me that Luongo's struggles in the post season have nothing to do with this sheepish first line? Give me a break. Dont over-look the fact that the players in front of him always sh1t the bed come playoff time. If we had the killers to step up and score goals, that would take the spotlight off of the goalie. Think about what the Hawks were able to do with Crawford. He is a sieve and played like crap every second game, but they were able to step up their game enough to compensate for the weak goals he did allow. Canucks cant do that.

Luongo: one of the top 10 goalies in the league based on skill alone? Sure.

One of the top 10 goalies to trust if your life depended on it? Not so much.

(Not a hater, Lu is hands down my favourite player and there's nothing I'd like more than having him take the Canucks to their first cup)

1: Lundqvist

2: Quick

3: Rinne

4: Niemi

5: Rask

6: Lehtonen

7: Bobrovsky

8 Schneider

9: Anderson

10: Backstrom

11: Smith

12: Kipper

13: Howard

14: Price

15: Crawford

16: Pavelec

17: Halak

18: Neuvirth

19: Holtby

20: Elliot

21: Nabokov

22: Luongo

All those goalies I would take over Luongo ANYDAY

Jeez! I love the Jets, but Pavelec is a nightmare in net. It's probably a good thing I'm not the Jets GM, but if the Canucks could have swapped Luongo for Pavelec, I would have been more then happy.

Lou's also playing in an era where the league is concerned about the lack of scoring all round, They want to mess with goalies handling pucks, padding size and even considering increasing the net size. Can't always compare year to year and age to age. Lou is no Roy or Brodeur for that matter.

Hard to compare like you said cause now they're considering reducing more goalie equipment: http://forum.canucks.com/topic/349143-report-nhl-looking-at-more-goalie-equipment-reductions-for-2013-14/

1: Lundqvist

2: Quick

3: Rinne

4: Niemi

5: Rask

6: Lehtonen

7: Bobrovsky

8 Schneider

9: Anderson

10: Backstrom

11: Smith

12: Kipper

13: Howard

14: Price

15: Crawford

16: Pavelec

17: Halak

18: Neuvirth

19: Holtby

20: Elliot

21: Nabokov

22: Luongo

All those goalies I would take over Luongo ANYDAY

Kippy is retiring, maybe replace him with Rammo, though i dont have any hopes in CGY's goaltending to do well this year

Luo has a chance to redeem himself and -or play himself out of here.

Sochi aside,I think he is going to do well and be completely focused on the job at hand if only to generate interest for his own market value and future options.

No, he's not.But I got suspended a day for having an opinion so I guess I'm not allowed to have an opinion against Luongo here so I'll stop...

There are plenty of people who are not pro Luongo and avoid suspension. That is not why you got suspended.

I'm not terribly offended at the idea that Luo has to prove himself again. I think given the weird circumstances it does. That being said, I also firmly believe that fans need to get behind him and not pile on top of him.

And like others have said, the article's author made a huge oversight leaving Schneider off his "Up & Coming" list. He may have limited experience, but what experience he does have has been impressive enough to warrant attention.

elite in my mind is top 3... Luongo is not top 3.... and any goalie can fall out of that catagory on any given year ... seeing is how Lu's GAA and S% have been outside the top 10 last 2 years there is no way to call him an elite goalie until he gets back up there... just because your elite once doesn't mean you hold that title the rest of your career..you got to maintain... and going into this year all he is is a good goalie trying to prove to people he isnt a back up and can carry the majority of the workload once again and until he does that there no way you can call him elite....

if we went by NFL standards Lu would never have been thought of as elite ... you earn that title in football when you win the superbowl and are named the superbowl MVP.

Archived