The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ronalds Kenins | LW/RW

elvis15

Probably the best chance of the game there for Kenins after Girgensons slid a cross crease pass under the defender to him. He had to take it on the backhand and hit the outside of the post (I don't think Hiller got a piece of it).

Oh man, the Swiss score the only goal of the game with 7.9 seconds left. They'd been the better team all through the 3rd period, but that's gotta hurt for the Latvians - and it was an attempted pass to Neiderreiter in front from the corner but it goes off the goalie's stick, off the defenceman, and in.

Kenins has got some wheels, guy can really skate well.

There were a few times we got to see it, but there was also a lot of him coasting around away from the puck. They spent a fair amount of time away from the ozone playing D. Girgensons was the driving force on that line for sure, and maybe Latvia's best player after their goalie.

Oh man, the Swiss score the only goal of the game with 7.9 seconds left. They'd been the better team all through the 3rd period, but that's gotta hurt for the Latvians - and it was an attempted pass to Neiderreiter in front from the corner but it goes off the goalie's stick, off the defenceman, and in.

There were a few times we got to see it, but there was also a lot of him coasting around away from the puck. They spent a fair amount of time away from the ozone playing D. Girgensons was the driving force on that line for sure, and maybe Latvia's best player after their goalie.

Yeah I noticed a lot that Kenins when the puck was in the offensive zone, was waiting around for the puck to come to him and didn't really get too engaged with the battles like Girgensons and Indrasis did. Positionally he is set up well for a shot in front of the net in the slot, but it would have been nice to see a little bit more from him. Not sure how good that type of style will match up in the AHL next year for him when the ice gets smaller and less room to coast.

@TysonGiuriato

#Canucks prospect Ronalds Kenins had 10:12 of ice-time and two shots for Latvia against Switzerland today.

He had the game on his stick and put it wide. I think he only had one shift after that (during which he fired a shot wide) and that was it. Kind of a shame how just a few inches can change the game for him so drastically.

I watched bits of the 2nd/3rd periods, he looked fast, actually pretty strong on the puck, had a few takeaways, made some nice passes off the rush, but his line mates didn't do much with those. didn't get any shots through nor did he get on the PP either (from what I saw). Indriasis had a few big hits.

I am not an expert analysis.. but from what I read about Kenins... I thought he will be a grinder type similar to Hansen being a good energy forward with a little bit of offense.

I only watched Latvia's 2nd game in Sochi where Latvia lost 4-2 to Czechs, but I am surprised to see Kenins seem to have more to him than a grinder type. I see he is trying to generate some offense and is staying open trying to get a pass and a good shot to the net.

He also tried to set up Indrasis a few times but Indrasis was being closely checked. Seems like he is a decent prospect that can perhaps fill a Middle 6 role some day rather than the ceiling of a bottom 6 player.

Very interested to see how he plays in NA ice next season.

I think Currently he is a on a loan to his Swiss team by the Canucks. So whenever I guess his team's season is finished including the playoffs, he can report to Utica afterwards.

Agreed, could be a good dark horse for making canucks in future years

Archived