The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Torts gets interviewed today.

Canouver

The kicker is the media should be the ones most upset about a phone ringing in a presser. Imagine you're standing next to the guy who's phone starts ringing while your trying to record the audio on yours. Now you don't get what you need for your job and the speaker was thrown off and possibly too annoyed to hang around and answer more question.

Of course, they would have to remember that people talking to them isn't their right, but a privilege and therefore due a little respect first.

Honestly the various media that reported on this made it seem so much more than it is. He didn't even raise his voice or anything. Definitely was just setting the tone like, Deb said. I agree with the entire "him being a big diversion from the players", being a good thing.

i think torts is going to have full leash when it comes to getting the media to operate the way he likes. he is the head coach after all, if they want quotes about hockey, they can do their job correctly for him. without him, there is no quote; act accordingly. the line i think gillis and torts are trying to draw is where torts talked about players specifically and didn't say very nice things. i think those are the things he regrets the most. set the precedent early so there is less of a chance for those non-hockey related quotes that have gained him this reputation.

Neither Torts or the Canucks can prevent the media circus. The sports writers in this town are licking their chops at the potential stories they can vomit out on a daily basis, and how those stories can get extra coverage by the ultra hyper eastern media.

The perpetration of the circus is the fault of the media. Hopefully as the season gets going, fans desperate for hockey news can be sated by the games and ignore the sensationalism.

The media fails to use tact so he's just giving it to them in their terms. This is how it is - take it or leave it. I like it...he calls the shots and it's his team. It'll be a privilege more than a right to access the team and, with how things play out here, that's likely a good thing.

Archived