The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

5.2 Billion reasons to

icycold

Ok so Rogers and the NHL made the sale of $5.2 Billion for rights of show for the next 12 years but $5.2 Billion reasons to: Do what exactly?

I'm sitting here wondering what is the NHL going to do with the money?

1) Raise the salary cap?

2) Player development through more funding of the minors farm teams?

3) Helping lower teams with their aging Arena's?

4) ?

5) ?

6) ?

7)?

etc etc????

What would you do think they will do with the money? Thoughts?

My thoughts would be raise the salary cap but that's just me...

The way I understand it, they don't really have any choice what to do with the money. It's hockey related revenue. The salary cap is calculated as a percentage of hockey related revenue. So the cap will go up.

Is the money itself sahred among the owners or goes the NHL as a corporation keep it? Never really understood where NHL wide revenues went.

Is the money itself sahred among the owners or goes the NHL as a corporation keep it? Never really understood where NHL wide revenues went.

50% of the money will go to the franchises (so approximately $7.25M/year per team averaged out over the course of the deal. Canadian franchises will get a little more due to "invasion" fees, although most will end up paying it back, anyways, due to revenue sharing. Less after expansion assuming expansion happens over the next 12 years)

50% of the money will go to the franchises (so approximately $7.25M/year per team averaged out over the course of the deal. Canadian franchises will get a little more due to "invasion" fees, although most will end up paying it back, anyways, due to revenue sharing. Less after expansion assuming expansion happens over the next 12 years)

Thanks so the NHL keeps the rest? Is the NHL a publically owned company? Can someone buy shares in it? In other words who actually owns the NHL?

$5.2 billion

divide by 12

$433 million.

30 teams

$14.43 million per team.

Salary cap can go to $78 million starting in 2015?

Under the new CBA the players and owners agreed to a 50-50 revenue share. Therefore the players will recieve half of the $14.43 million per year (increase in salary cap) while the teams will recieve the other half.

Archived