The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is higgins a top 6 forward?

Cucumber

Ok at the beginning of the season I was thinking that higgins is just a fringe top6 forward. Although this is a popular belief his numbers just don't lie.

currently he is on pace for

23 goals tieing his 2nd best of his career

49points which would be his 2nd best of his career

usanlly a top 6player is expected to get a 50-60 points season minimum. Higgins is one point behind the 50 point margin. so at the moment i would say yes he is one.

Over the past 3 seasons, in terms of production (points/82 games played) with at least 42 games played, the top 180 forwards have averaged 41.2 to 125.4 points/82 games.

50-60 points MINIMUM is a completely unrealistic expectation for a top 6 forward who is not a star player.

The problem I have is, he's being compared league wide. Compare him to CUP CONTENDERS. That's what the Canucks should be.

Hawks secondary guys behind Toews/Kane are: Hossa, Sharp, Saad, Versteeg, Shaw, Bickell

Sharks secondary guys behind Thornton/Couture are: Burns, Marleau, Pavelski, Hertl, Wingels, Havlat

Boston secondary guys behind Krejci/Lucic are: Iginla, Eriksson, Bergeron, Marchand, Smith, Soderberg

Los Angeles secondary guys behind Kopitar/Richards are: Carter, Brown, Williams, Toffoli, King, Stoll

Pittsburgh gets a bit of slack because they have two top 5 forwards but... Neal, Kunitz, Jokinen, Dupuis, Sutter

Canucks secondary guys behind Sedins are: Kesler, Santorelli, Higgins, Burrows, Hansen, Booth, Richardson

Props to Santorelli for working his butt off and producing at a respectable rate, but the raw talent of this group is bad. Hard-work can get you places, but it's no surprise the cup winners of the last 5 years were loaded with offensive talent.

I think Higgins would be best on the 3rd line, or alternate with Santorelli with a legit top 6 alongside Kesler.

It doesn't really matter if he is or not. With Hamhuis, Edler, Tanev, Bieksa, Garison, and Stanton on the back end the position to upgrade is forward. If there is room and a good deal is there then do it. If he is a top sixer then we will be lucky to have the depth to have him in the bottom six. I would start with center but as far as I know there isn't going to be a lot on the market, so go to the wing.

It doesn't really matter if he is or not. With Hamhuis, Edler, Tanev, Bieksa, Garison, and Stanton on the back end the position to upgrade is forward. If there is room and a good deal is there then do it. If he is a top sixer then we will be lucky to have the depth to have him in the bottom six. I would start with center but as far as I know there isn't going to be a lot on the market, so go to the wing.

Edler for Bobby Ryan would've been a great trade. Too bad that didn't happen.

Sedin-Sedin-Ryan

Higgings-Kesler-Santo

Burrows-Schroeder-Hansen

Booth-Richardson-Kassian

That forward corps would have made us a guaranteed cup contender. Perfect mix of grit, skills, size, toughness and character. 2 shutdown lines and all 4 can score goals. This lineup would at least have 6-7 20 goal scorers with 3 that could hit 30-40 goals. Ryan, with his size and skill could elevate the Sedins play and would've probably been the best 1st line in the West.

Edler for Bobby Ryan would've been a great trade. Too bad that didn't happen.

Sedin-Sedin-Ryan

Higgings-Kesler-Santo

Burrows-Schroeder-Hansen

Booth-Richardson-Kassian

That forward corps would have made us a guaranteed cup contender. Perfect mix of grit, skills, size, toughness and character. 2 shutdown lines and all 4 can score goals. This lineup would at least have 6-7 20 goal scorers with 3 that could hit 30-40 goals. Ryan, with his size and skill could elevate the Sedins play and would've probably been the best 1st line in the West.

Yet one injury in the top four and...

Hamhuis - Garison

Stanton - Tanev

Alberts - Weber

... yeah no

It is really easy to be negative isn't it? How about some positive karma for a change. It will brighten your day believe me.

Is it easier to be positive when reality only exists when winning?

When the losing begins it is like the end of the world and this is a 'for profit'corporation at the end of the day.

This team is winning games lately and Luo is playing very well.

20 wins - 10 losses.

They lose six,they win seven.

I ain't getting a cut or paycheque from this franchise to comfort me when the losing begins again.

Why not just try to enjoy all the players and teams that play across the league and then one can always be a winner and be happy each and every night?

Beats 43 years of reality.Ever hopeful is altruistic but one has to be a masochist to be forever positive going on five decades now.

Shooting for happiness is a much more altruistic goal,though.I will give you that.

The problem I have is, he's being compared league wide. Compare him to CUP CONTENDERS. That's what the Canucks should be.

Hawks secondary guys behind Toews/Kane are: Hossa, Sharp, Saad, Versteeg, Shaw, Bickell

Sharks secondary guys behind Thornton/Couture are: Burns, Marleau, Pavelski, Hertl, Wingels, Havlat

Boston secondary guys behind Krejci/Lucic are: Iginla, Eriksson, Bergeron, Marchand, Smith, Soderberg

Los Angeles secondary guys behind Kopitar/Richards are: Carter, Brown, Williams, Toffoli, King, Stoll

Pittsburgh gets a bit of slack because they have two top 5 forwards but... Neal, Kunitz, Jokinen, Dupuis, Sutter

Canucks secondary guys behind Sedins are: Kesler, Santorelli, Higgins, Burrows, Hansen, Booth, Richardson

Props to Santorelli for working his butt off and producing at a respectable rate, but the raw talent of this group is bad. Hard-work can get you places, but it's no surprise the cup winners of the last 5 years were loaded with offensive talent.

I think Higgins would be best on the 3rd line, or alternate with Santorelli with a legit top 6 alongside Kesler.

The question posed wasn't "Is Higgins an elite top six forward" it was "Is Higgins a top six forward". What he's on pace for is an average top six forward.

Last years Blackhawks and Bruins both had two of their top six on pace for less than 50 points.

LA had one in their top six well below a 50 point pace and one on a 51 point pace.

Last years Sharks had one well below a 50 point pace and two at a 52 point pace.

Pittsburgh is the only one of your list that had 5 on pace for 70+ plus points with their 6th well below 50. Despite their offense they haven't made it past the second round the past three years.

In conclussion, even by your standards, Higgins pace of 49 points should be regarded as top six.

How 'bout making the 3rd line even stronger/deeper? Someone yesterday suggested Edler/Hansen(I believe?) for McIlrath(huge D propect) & Stepan. Would leave us this:

Daniel-Henrik-Burrows

Higgins -Kesler -Santorelli

Booth-Stepan-Kassian

Archibald -Richardson -Weise ...xtras-Sestito, Schroeder, Dalpe

If you've got three threatening lines, with chemistry, it's ideal. Better able to handle the spring grind, as injuries pop up sooner or later. We could easily carry all of these contracts, going forward.

Is Higgins an appropriate 2nd liner on an elite team? No. Is he playing adequate to be a 2nd liner on our team? Yes. But then, so is Santa and we can't expect either player to necessarily keep up the pace... especially into the playoffs. (Though that would be great!)

I've always liked Higgins - but the fact is that on a team with our talent, he is a 3rd liner and is good enough to "fill in" to the 2nd line when required.... but should not be relied on to produce 2nd line points on a consistent basis.

The question posed wasn't "Is Higgins an elite top six forward" it was "Is Higgins a top six forward". What he's on pace for is an average top six forward.

Last years Blackhawks and Bruins both had two of their top six on pace for less than 50 points.

LA had one in their top six well below a 50 point pace and one on a 51 point pace.

Last years Sharks had one well below a 50 point pace and two at a 52 point pace.

Pittsburgh is the only one of your list that had 5 on pace for 70+ plus points with their 6th well below 50. Despite their offense they haven't made it past the second round the past three years.

In conclussion, even by your standards, Higgins pace of 49 points should be regarded as top six.

Canucks are an elite team, so they should be compared to the very best. Look at those players consistency over the years and playoff production and all around skill and pedigree.

The most invisible Canuck in the playoffs.

I'm all about the playoffs. I use to get excited about regular season production, but kept noticing that everyone behind the Sedins have been useless in the post season.

I don't have high hopes of a 2nd line consisting of Higgins/Santorelli in the playoffs. Hopefully Gillis picks up a top 6 guy and a depth D-man like Weaver.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Top 6 - Kesler - Santorelli

Higgins - Richardson - Hansen

Booth - Schroeder - Kassian

Sestito / Weise

Hamhuis - Tanev

Garrison - Weaver

Stanton - Bieksa

Luongo

Lack

Lines get hot and lines get cold. Higgins, Santo and Kes are rolling, it's easy to call Higgins a bonafide 2nd liner right now, but when the current 2nd line cools down is he still a top 6 forward? Yes. It can't be measured in output alone, Higgins is so versatile that he fits in every role. He may be used on the 3rd, he may see time on the 1st, but I would absolutely classify him as top 6.

Archived