The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo quote: "...you want to be part of a game like that"

Giggidy Giggidy Goo

Luongo was quoted as saying "It`s no fun watching. You want to be part of a game like that" in reference to the game against the Kings.

It`s one thing to say that and another to do something about it. Luongo has been a part of games like that in the past and other than contributing with saves, which he would do otherwise, didn`t add anything else that could give the team an advantage .

I think part of the problem with Luongo getting run by some teams, especially the Kings, is that he doesn`t do anything about it. He doesn`t wack people or take ownership of the crease the way Quick does. Further he doesn`t sell the contact the way Quick does in order to draw a penalty or attention to the borderline stuff so as to get "the next call". So, for him to say he wants to be a part of a game like that is just like if Booth were to say he wishes he could of taken on Nolan instead of Sestito...it`s complete BS!

Luongo was quoted as saying "It`s no fun watching. You want to be part of a game like that" in reference to the game against the Kings.

It`s one thing to say that and another to do something about it. Luongo has been a part of games like that in the past and other than contributing with saves, which he would do otherwise, didn`t add anything else that could give the team an advantage .

I think part of the problem with Luongo getting run by some teams, especially the Kings, is that he doesn`t do anything about it. He doesn`t wack people or take ownership of the crease the way Quick does. Further he doesn`t sell the contact the way Quick does in order to draw a penalty or attention to the borderline stuff so as to get "the next call". So, for him to say he wants to be a part of a game like that is just like if Booth were to say he wishes he could of taken on Nolan instead of Sestito...it`s complete BS!

Where have you been? Luongo of years past was blasted for embellishing/diving/selling calls, which he did. Granted it's never been as bad as Mike Smith, or Niemi, or Quick, but he still did

Dustin Brown is known as the king of embelishment. That doesn't mean he's stopped. He's perfected it. Granted not everyone has the skill to embelish but you could at least smack some legs with your stick or get involved in some after the whistle stuff to show that like Tortorella said you own the ice too. I'm sorry but Luongo is not known for embelishment on the whole, perhaps by some fans/analysts, but on the whole, no way.

Oh, good lord.

There's no pleasing some people. Some complain he needs to focus his game and just make the saves, and now you're bitching he's not doing more than "just making the saves." That's what a goalie is supposed to do! Everything else is supposed to be taken care of by his team. Pretty sure defense of the crease should be covered by the word "defense."

Quick gets away with the slashes and stuff because he's Quick and plays for LA. Luo would get called for it, as we've actually seen in the past. And if Luo were to try to draw penalties like Quick or Miller, people would just rip on him for being a diver/embellisher and talk about how he's just continuing the negative image the Canucks have, especially with the refs. And to accomplish what anyway? If the refs wouldn't make the calls, it wouldn't do us any good.

Oh, good lord.

There's no pleasing some people. Some complain he needs to focus his game and just make the saves, and now you're bitching he's not doing more than "just making the saves." That's what a goalie is supposed to do! Everything else is supposed to be taken care of by his team. Pretty sure defense of the crease should be covered by the word "defense."

Quick gets away with the slashes and stuff because he's Quick and plays for LA. Luo would get called for it, as we've actually seen in the past. And if Luo were to try to draw penalties like Quick or Miller, people would just rip on him for being a diver/embellisher and talk about how he's just continuing the negative image the Canucks have, especially with the refs. And to accomplish what anyway? If the refs wouldn't make the calls, it wouldn't do us any good.

Wow, the matter of fact of some of opinions like this one is hilarious. I'm not one of those people that complains he just needs to make the saves. I believe one of those people that believes you can always get better, especially if you're seen as one of the best goalies in the league. If you read the opinion, my complaint is that that he had come out and said that he would have liked to have played in that game. My arguement, in summary for you, is that he wouldn't have added anything extra to that game anyways.

Defense of the crease comment: seriously? Are you forgetting that the crease is the goalies domain and if he can do the extra little things to enforce that then he part of the defence? Its assumed that everyone else should pitch in to defend the crease too.

I know that there is some favourability and bias in both referreing and the media against the Canucks but you can't just back off like the Canucks did against Boston a few years ago.

he's an honest guy

Wow, the matter of fact of some of opinions like this one is hilarious. I'm not one of those people that complains he just needs to make the saves. I believe one of those people that believes you can always get better, especially if you're seen as one of the best goalies in the league. If you read the opinion, my complaint is that that he had come out and said that he would have liked to have played in that game. My arguement, in summary for you, is that he wouldn't have added anything extra to that game anyways.

Defense of the crease comment: seriously? Are you forgetting that the crease is the goalies domain and if he can do the extra little things to enforce that then he part of the defence? Its assumed that everyone else should pitch in to defend the crease too.

I know that there is some favourability and bias in both referreing and the media against the Canucks but you can't just back off like the Canucks did against Boston a few years ago.

Not really sure what the point of your reply was, other than to take umbrage that I didn't agree with you. And why complain that our starting goalie said he wished he could have played in a game so important for the team? That's what we want to hear him say!

And yes, I did understand that your complaint was that he wouldn't have brought anything "other than saves" to the game. Thus my reply about how defense is the role of the defensemen. The goalie doesn't have to risk taking penalties slashing people to protect his crease if the dmen are doing their job and clearing out the riffraff from in front of him. The goalie's job is to make the saves and his dmen should be making sure no one is getting in the way of him being able to concentrate on that. It's really that simple.

Where have you been? Luongo of years past was blasted for embellishing/diving/selling calls, which he did. Granted it's never been as bad as Mike Smith, or Niemi, or Quick, but he still did

Yep, luongo is quite well known for selling things not sure where the op has been.

Not really sure what the point of your reply was, other than to take umbrage that I didn't agree with you. And why complain that our starting goalie said he wished he could have played in a game so important for the team? That's what we want to hear him say!

And yes, I did understand that your complaint was that he wouldn't have brought anything "other than saves" to the game. Thus my reply about how defense is the role of the defensemen. The goalie doesn't have to risk taking penalties slashing people to protect his crease if the dmen are doing their job and clearing out the riffraff from in front of him. The goalie's job is to make the saves and his dmen should be making sure no one is getting in the way of him being able to concentrate on that. It's really that simple.

you mean haters are going to hate?

no way man...how is it possible?

Archived