The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Unarmed Teen Shot Dead by Police when he open door with Wii controller in his hand

http://www.wsbtv.com...ler-hand/ndSrL/

EUHARLEE, Ga. —

The family of a 17-year-old shot and killed by a Euharlee police officer has hired an attorney, and they say he had a remote control in his hand. They say it was not a gun.

Christopher Roupe, 17, was in the ROTC at Woodland High School and wanted to join the Marines. His friends said he looked after them.

“He was a good kid. He always hung out with me and he took up for me,” said William Corson.

Roupe's young life ended Friday night when Euharlee police officers showed up at the door of his home in the Eagle View Mobile Home Park to serve a probation violation warrant for his father.

A female police officer told GBI investigators that Roupe pointed a gun at her when he opened the door.

“It just doesn't add up,” said Cole Law who is representing the Roupe family.

Law said Roupe was about to watch a movie.

“We don't know where that statement came from. The eyewitnesses on the scene clearly state that he had a Wii controller in his hand. He heard a knock at the door. He asked who it was, there was no response so he opened the door and upon opening the door he was immediately shot in the chest,” Law said.

Neighbors said they ran to the home after they heard the shot.

“When we got up there, they said there was a Wii remote in his hand and she shot him,” said Tia Howard, who lives a few doors down.

Neighbor Ken Yates said he saw the female officer moments after the fatal shot.

“This is tragic. She came out of this house. She put her head in her hands and she was sobbing. Supposedly, he opened the door with a BB gun and in my opinion I think he was playing a game with his neighborhood buddies,” said Yates.

The officer is on administrative leave, which is standard procedure after an officer-involved shooting.

The GBI said the autopsy is complete, and they will turn over evidence to Cherokee Judicial Circuit District Attorney Rosemary Greene’s office.

The funeral for Roupe is planned for Friday.

Women cops lol.

A friend of mine was walking home from his girlfriends house which was up the block from him at 11pm in the suburbs and a cop pulled over and questioned him for walking suspicious. He didn't have his ID on him so she called in 3 other cop cars and she went to the girlfriends house before she let him go into his own house to get his ID.

I feel they are always 10x more skiddish

Women cops lol.

A friend of mine was walking home from his girlfriends house which was up the block from him at 11pm in the suburbs and a cop pulled over and questioned him for walking suspicious. He didn't have his ID on him so she called in 3 other cop cars and she went to the girlfriends house before she let him go into his own house to get his ID.

Well if your friend knew his rights, he wouldn't have had to do crap, should have told her to screw off and continued walking.

Women cops lol.

Does this even warrant a response?

Ok, I'll bite. I've served with some women in the army who had ice in their veins. They could hold their sh*t together better than most men I've met in my life.

And considering how many times male police officers shot someone they though had a gun (when in fact it was a wallet or some other item), I'd say you are deliberately or unintentionally ignoring fact (confirmation bias), or aren't well informed.

The story doesn't list some key factors here:

- With the reason they were going to the house, were they expecting the father to be violent?

- Was it dark outside?

- Was the remote controller black? (could mistake it for a weapon)

- What was the teenagers behaviour like? Did he have a past encounter with police?

- Is there more than just a kid opening a door then getting shot?

There's a lot of factors that can be added to this story, that the media doesn't bother putting in because it's boring.

As for the woman cop comment... as someone who works in law enforcement, all I have to say to you is, work a week in her shoes, and let's see how tough you are. It doesn't matter if they are male or female, law enforcement officers have one of the toughest jobs out there.

The story doesn't list some key factors here:

- With the reason they were going to the house, were they expecting the father to be violent?

- Was it dark outside?

- Was the remote controller black? (could mistake it for a weapon)

- What was the teenagers behaviour like? Did he have a past encounter with police?

- Is there more than just a kid opening a door then getting shot?

There's a lot of factors that can be added to this story, that the media doesn't bother putting in because it's boring.

As for woman cop comment... as someone who works in law enforcement, all I have to say to you is, work a week in her shoes, and let's see how tough you are. It doesn't matter if they are male or female, law enforcement officers have one of the toughest jobs out there.

^ No kidding. Just look at what's going on in West Vancouver (and has been) for the last decade. Being a female police officer is as tough as it gets out there. However, I'm sure all the posts regarding women in this thread are purely from a joking perspective.

It doesn't take an expert to realize there were numerous other factors surrounding the incident... news reports like this really don't help the image of cops.

Women cops lol.

That is also a case of your friend not knowing his rights. You're free to break any random police encounter as long as you state your wish to. You do not have to ever provide ID unless i) you're committing/have committed a crime, and/or ii) they have a reason to verify your identity (i.e. match a suspect description).

Well if your friend knew his rights, he wouldn't have had to do crap, should have told her to screw off and continued walking.

He is a good guy, no real experience with cops even for speeding haha

Does this even warrant a response?

Ok, I'll bite. I've served with some women in the army who had ice in their veins. They could hold their sh*t together better than most men I've met in my life.

And considering how many times male police officers shot someone they though had a gun (when in fact it was a wallet or some other item), I'd say you are deliberately or unintentionally ignoring fact (confirmation bias), or aren't well informed.

Despite my blunt remark I do know that men can be skiddish and women can be chill.

Though if I was to revise my statement this is a stereotype I do consider to hold truth. It's a career field that requires one to control people who are sometimes willing to beat or kill you. In many cases these people can be grown men as big as twice the size of some of these women and even with training brute force can still over match that sometimes.

In my personal experience as well as observations I have never seen a female cop who was laid back or calm on a call they were always in high gear and intense making it very clear that they are a cop and they are in control of the situation. Where as male cops can be more relaxed and friendly at first unless you give them a reason. The one time I was in a cop car their were two cops and each had their own car and the guy I was with was playing 311 on the stereo and playing it over the police radio or walkie talkie or whatever it's called and singing and the other cop would speed up beside and sing into his radio. And then started talking to me about astrology (forget how it came up). Then a week later I saw him at WaWa and he walked up to me and asked me how I was doing and said he won Creed tickets but didn't want them and offered them (I said no because that just sounded awful) and he ended up walking around asking everyone in the place if they want them before yelling about why no one wants free tickets to Creed.

Of course he isn't the only male cop I have seen on the job. Maybe it's just me and I have had odd luck but I have always known female cops to be very aggressive and intense and I have assumed it's to make up for the lack of physical stature when dealing with bigger men.

Just my take on it I am sure some disagree because women and men are equal in every possible way but yeah...

Fair enough, I hope your friend educates himself on his rights, I respect everyone that does their job but cant stand when people think that just because someone holds a badge they have the right to do whatever and try to take advantage of innocent people such as your friend.

Or you can make life easier and show your id, and state what your doing since you've done nothing wrong, and both the officer and yourself can go on your merry way.

You walk down the street. A guy asks you for an address. Is he interrogating you or is he just lost?

You could show your ID and waste time, Or, unless they have concrete evidence that you have done something wrong, they have no right to force ID from you...once you give up your ID, they have reason to 'harass' or search you further...exercise your rights people!

Despite my blunt remark I do know that men can be skiddish and women can be chill.

Though if I was to revise my statement this is a stereotype I do consider to hold truth. It's a career field that requires one to control people who are sometimes willing to beat or kill you. In many cases these people can be grown men as big as twice the size of some of these women and even with training brute force can still over match that sometimes.

In my personal experience as well as observations I have never seen a female cop who was laid back or calm on a call they were always in high gear and intense making it very clear that they are a cop and they are in control of the situation. Where as male cops can be more relaxed and friendly at first unless you give them a reason. The one time I was in a cop car their were two cops and each had their own car and the guy I was with was playing 311 on the stereo and playing it over the police radio or walkie talkie or whatever it's called and singing and the other cop would speed up beside and sing into his radio. And then started talking to me about astrology (forget how it came up). Then a week later I saw him at WaWa and he walked up to me and asked me how I was doing and said he won Creed tickets but didn't want them and offered them (I said no because that just sounded awful) and he ended up walking around asking everyone in the place if they want them before yelling about why no one wants free tickets to Creed.

Of course he isn't the only male cop I have seen on the job. Maybe it's just me and I have had odd luck but I have always known female cops to be very aggressive and intense and I have assumed it's to make up for the lack of physical stature when dealing with bigger men.

Just my take on it I am sure some disagree because women and men are equal in every possible way but yeah...

Fair enough, but making the assumption that she handled the situation poorly on the account of her gender, and that a man in her situation would have been less skittish based on some officers you have dealt with in the past is a mistake. Especially, considering the amount of time there have been fatal shooting by men in similar situations.

Warning- Nerdy explanation ahead...

I understand the cognitive reason people stereotype. Basically, the amount of information for our brain to process is vast, and it can deal with things more efficiently by categorizing them based on similarities (in this case, gender), and that information is used to make inferences about subsequent events. Another thing we do is ignore things which disprove our belief, and accept information that confirms it (confirmation bias). It's something to be aware of so you can avoid it.

The more you know -----------*

Archived